S Note is Rubbish

OP colint3

4th March 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 104

501 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim

Then you made something wrong because I have them all on CleanRom.

I havent done anything to it. They actually never showed up even when I was completely stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

You should be able to download the backgrounds and sketch art in settings...

I'd post in Scott's thread or PM him. Some people posted their S Note versions and we're all on 1.0 so it's not something I'd imagine that's Samsung-related. It might not be the templates that are missing but a separate file that supports S Note's portrait mode. If all the templates were borked or Scott deleted them you wouldn't have landscape because their all in the same hidden directory.

I dont think it is an issue with cleanrom as nobody else is experiencing it. Rather mine actually never showed them when stock. It was an initial gripe I had. Think I might just return it and get the 12.2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
5th March 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #32  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,280

8,821 posts
Quote:

Because the interface is changed and cleaned but the functions are still there... maybe it is time to read the handbook?

Here's my take on the new S Note over the old. The old was dated looking from the day it was released. All the functions were in your face in tool bars and menus whether you used them frequently or rarely. Having all the tools, options, and rulers shown all the time also consumed a lot of screen real estate. The new version's cleaner and the functions used most are prominent with others either a menu or long press away. It's also infinitely faster when doing anything from saving to formula calculation.

To me, being able to use transform after-the-fact takes away the need to figure out in advance what I'm going to do with a specific note I'm creating. Not all my notes are equal and some end up being irrelevant so having to go through the gymnastics of turning them from ink-to-text in real-time which, with iffy handwriting, is time consuming and prone to error is a waste of time.

As said previously, now that S Search can search on handwriting I rarely convert my handwritten notes to text. Most of the time I'll convert excerpts if I need to reference them in an e-mail or more formal document. Before Scrap Book I used the old S Note to collect ideas and content. Now I use S Note almost purely for notes and Scrap Book to collect ideas and content to support them. Neither S Notes or Scrap Book files can be viewed on anything but a Samsung device so everything anyone here creates that's destined to be shared needs to be moved to a more accessible format. If I know I'm going to be using a bunch of content in a "real" document to be viewed by others I use a faux-Office app (Hancock's now my favorite) and a keyboard. Meeting notes, on the fly ideas, and Action Memos are great with handwriting as an input method. Other than that and for anything lengthy it's a BT keyboard for me.

Everyone uses their devices differently, has different views on handwriting for data entry, and different criteria for what they save/collect and how. So there's no wrong way really. I totally agree with you that the majority of "the new S Note sucks" posts are from people that haven't taken the time to figure out the changes or logic behind them. The OP's issue seems to be that with the introduction of transform as the primary way to convert ink-to-text he misses the direct text input that existed in the old version.

Other than OP's ink-to-text methodology change issue there's nothing I've noticed missing from the new S Note compared to the old. And being able to use S Note for Windows (which only works with the new S Note format) to copy and paste from my device-created S Notes in to desktop Word and Outlook is a God send. So to each their own but people not happy with the new S Note owe it to themselves to invest some time to figure out Samsung's changes and the logic, which is fairly consistent, behind them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #33  
Flag Antwerpen
Thanks Meter: 345

1,559 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

I dont think it is an issue with cleanrom as nobody else is experiencing it. Rather mine actually never showed them when stock. It was an initial gripe I had.

I don't want to harm you but I still expect that you did something wrong.

What I did:
- open s note
- see the overview page
- open menu via menu-key
- go to settings and choose "Downloads"
- choose: "Background image" or "Idea Sketch"
- then you will see what already is download (which should normally be empty)
- choose "Download" from the top

In the "Background images" I can choose now 122 portrait and 59 landscape background and I will not count the sketches. There are many.
5th March 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #34  
Tustin
Thanks Meter: 63

1,077 posts
More
S-note would be perfect for me if it had two key features:
1. Ability to adjust aspect ratio of pages to match different paper sizes
2. Thinner pens

Without these features snote is useless to me for class note taking. It's really annoying because snote has such a nice clean ui with great features but I personally can't our because of these reasons.
5th March 2014, 10:09 AM   |  #35  
Flag Richmond, VA
Thanks Meter: 339

1,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdude5

S-note would be perfect for me if it had two key features:
1. Ability to adjust aspect ratio of pages to match different paper sizes
2. Thinner pens

Without these features snote is useless to me for class note taking. It's really annoying because snote has such a nice clean ui with great features but I personally can't our because of these reasons.

You can adjust the pen size down and get it very thin.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app
6th March 2014, 12:15 AM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 104

501 posts
Quote:

I don't want to harm you but I still expect that you did something wrong.

What I did:
- open s note
- see the overview page
- open menu via menu-key
- go to settings and choose "Downloads"
- choose: "Background image" or "Idea Sketch"
- then you will see what already is download (which should normally be empty)
- choose "Download" from the top

In the "Background images" I can choose now 122 portrait and 59 landscape background and I will not count the sketches. There are many.

Still not there for me. No idea why lol. I went ahead and used my protection plan to get the 12.2 today

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
7th March 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #37  
Flag North Branch
Thanks Meter: 144

1,016 posts
Donate to Me
More
So has anyone found a way to get the old snote working on this tablet yet?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
8th March 2014, 11:12 PM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colint3

I used to have a Note 8 and the S Note was great. Could start to write at the top and as each page filled up it would insert another page. I am talking about hand writing that is changed to type.

The S Note on the 10.1 2014 is utter rubbish. You cannot start typing at the top of a document and keep typing until a page is filled. You are FORCED to use text boxes. This means that if you just keep typing in the same box it does not overflow onto another page.

Does anyone have the Note 8 S Note .apk

Regards

Colin

Unfortunately, I understand your problem, but never found a solution to the problem. I posted a similar question to yours when I purchased the Note 10.1 (2014) last fall. It seems that the new version has some distinct advantages, but they do come at a cost. On the previous s note, there were text boxes at the top of the page, as others have pointed out, but you could leave the boxed area and have the handwriting converted to text instantaneously. The benefit of this method, as the initial author mentions, is that you could keep writing and s note would add pages as you filled them. The new version keeps the writing confined to the text box and will not create a new page. You have to create a new text box on each new page in order to use this method. I use s note a lot and tried very hard to find a way to do what the old one did, but I have not found a solution. The rectangle and lasso methods of converting to text are not reasonable substitutes for me, but apparently they work well for others. The other issues I still have with the new s note are that "blank" white pages print with a shaded background, converting notes to pdf can result in part of the note being chopped off, and the formula conversion using the lasso/rectangle method is worse than the previous version in my opinion.

I do like other features of the new s note though. Specifically, the fonts in the old s note were problematic. I had the note 8 and had to change the font constantly or notes would be converted to pdf in a size that resembled the top letters in an eye examination. The new s note is better with respect to design, layout, and fonts in my opinion. I just wish they would have coupled the benefits of the new version without removing some great attributes of the old.

The Following User Says Thank You to econlaw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread