Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 46,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon GS4 MK2 Confusion

Tip us?

Johnnyfriday
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Verizon GS4 MK2 Confusion

This is my first post on here and I may be out of place, but goin for it anyway. It's my understanding that Having a Verizon SCH-1545 with the MK2 build sucks. I started messing around with my phone without reading posts on here and feel lucky that I don't have an overpriced paperweight. I rooted my phone just because I could, it was fairly useful on other phones I had but the GS4 is already set up quite well. I wanted to flash to KitKat and talked to one of my friends who told me that he uses Slimkat. I now know that Rom Manager is pretty much useless on my phone and think that Hyperdrive through Safestrap is the only way I can flash my Rom. I attempted Cyanogenmod through CWM like an idiot because I'm impatient and it did not work and did not brick my phone. Before I try and install Hyperdirve I want to make sure that I have the right things. I downloaded Hyperdrive RLS 14 and am using Safestrap 3.71. I watched a video on installation through Safestrap from Rootjunky and he also installed a module with it, which I also downloaded. If someone can point me in the right direction to make sure that I do have everything I need and am doing this correctly, I would appreciate it. I have read several posts and tried to do the research but am a little confused. One of the things that worries me is when I boot my phone it says "safestrap: disabled". Did I do something wrong or is this because I'm still on the stock rom slot? I'm rambling now... Perhaps I should just leave it alone and not try to modify things out of boredom. Can I install just a kernel so that I can do some slight mods? Change my status bar, boot animation, etc...? Thanks for reading this short story and any help will be greatly appreciated.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfriday View Post
This is my first post on here and I may be out of place, but goin for it anyway. It's my understanding that Having a Verizon SCH-1545 with the MK2 build sucks. I started messing around with my phone without reading posts on here and feel lucky that I don't have an overpriced paperweight. I rooted my phone just because I could, it was fairly useful on other phones I had but the GS4 is already set up quite well. I wanted to flash to KitKat and talked to one of my friends who told me that he uses Slimkat. I now know that Rom Manager is pretty much useless on my phone and think that Hyperdrive through Safestrap is the only way I can flash my Rom. I attempted Cyanogenmod through CWM like an idiot because I'm impatient and it did not work and did not brick my phone. Before I try and install Hyperdirve I want to make sure that I have the right things. I downloaded Hyperdrive RLS 14 and am using Safestrap 3.71. I watched a video on installation through Safestrap from Rootjunky and he also installed a module with it, which I also downloaded. If someone can point me in the right direction to make sure that I do have everything I need and am doing this correctly, I would appreciate it. I have read several posts and tried to do the research but am a little confused. One of the things that worries me is when I boot my phone it says "safestrap: disabled". Did I do something wrong or is this because I'm still on the stock rom slot? I'm rambling now... Perhaps I should just leave it alone and not try to modify things out of boredom. Can I install just a kernel so that I can do some slight mods? Change my status bar, boot animation, etc...? Thanks for reading this short story and any help will be greatly appreciated.

you are lucky you didn't brick your phone, you really need to research more than you did

booting to stock rom slot is indicated by safestrap disabled message. If you creat a rom slot and install a safestrap compatible rom and set that slot active, the display will say safestrap enabled

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johnnyfriday
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturbob View Post
you are lucky you didn't brick your phone, you really need to research more than you did

booting to stock rom slot is indicated by safestrap disabled message. If you creat a rom slot and install a safestrap compatible rom and set that slot active, the display will say safestrap enabled

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
I realized how big of a mistake I made when I hopped on to figure out why I was having problems. Since then have been trying to do hella research. Thanks for clearing up the Safestrap message.