Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 41,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Creating a "dots" inspired game, need help with a touch concept.

Tip us?

bmon3y
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Creating a "dots" inspired game, need help with a touch concept.

I am trying to develop a game that uses touch between multiple objects. I need to detect when multiple items are touched on one swipe of the finger. The game is similar to "Dots" if you have ever played it. So I need to detect when a dot is pressed and then from there when the finger is dragged to detect the next dot that is touched. I need to keep this going until the finger is lifted. Using dispatchtouchevent and viewgroups is on the right track I think, but that is the furthest I have gotten.

painlessDeath
Old
Thanks Meter 2
When you are tracking a single touch movement, all the events would be sent to a single view.
So instead of tracking touch events for each Dots, you should track touch events for the common parent ViewGroup.

Lets say you have a frame layout with all the dots places inside.

On ACTION_DOWN

create a Map<Rect, View> for all the dots, where Rect is the position of that view in the viewgroup,
Code:
Select Code
Rect pos = new Rect(child.getLeft(), child.getTop(), child.getLeft() + child.getWidth(), child.getTop() + child.getHeight());
Essentially you need to create this map only once (and probably again after a relayout).
Then check which Dot was pressed using Rect.contains for each rect,

then on ACTION_MOVE,
Check if the same view was touched, and if not, again check for all the views to see if any other view was touched.