5,604,219 Members 49,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to flash a new recovery ROM?

Tip us?

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] How to flash a new recovery ROM?

I recently went through the process of trying to update my recovery rom (yes, all rooted up already!).

The problem I was running into was while the tools (TWRP manager, ROM Manager, Goo Manager) all said the recovery was flashed successfully it wasn't.

During the course of my many attempts (which included some hangs, removal of the battery, etc) all of a sudden the updated recovery ROM appeared!

I have no idea what sequence of events resulted in the right behavior, either the tools are not really flashing properly, or there is some black magic (more likely) process which is restoring the recovery ROM.

What's the proper process to change/update your recovery ROM?

reinaldistic
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Sure yo are rooted but what firmware are you on, unless you're on mdk you can't flash recovery. So if your firmware says me7, mi1, or mj7 you're sol (ull find it under baseband in the about phone setting)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldistic View Post
Sure yo are rooted but what firmware are you on, unless you're on mdk you can't flash recovery. So if your firmware says me7, mi1, or mj7 you're sol (ull find it under baseband in the about phone setting)

Currently running PA custom ROM, so I am on MDK

reinaldistic
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullet View Post
Currently running PA custom ROM, so I am on MDK
Then you might wanna try flashing cwm manually... Goo manager hasn't worked for me for a while... And ROM manager hasn't ever worked for me...

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_jfltevzw

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Then you might wanna try flashing cwm manually... Goo manager hasn't worked for me for a while... And ROM manager hasn't ever worked for me...

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_jfltevzw

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Does one need to go through that process in general on S4 these days?

Also, what's the recommendation TWRP or CM?

reinaldistic
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Does one need to go through that process in general on S4 these days?

Also, what's the recommendation TWRP or CM?
For aosp ROMs yeah, regular in app flashes will never Loki the recovery in my experience

RedBullet
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
For aosp ROMs yeah, regular in app flashes will never Loki the recovery in my experience

Just tried this process to upgrade to newest CWM recovery 6.0.4.7 (currently on 6.0.4.4). COuldn't update via rom manager (again says it flashed successfully but still running old version).

When I run the install-cwm.cmd script in that loki package, I get a permission denied when it tried to run the loki.sh script on my phone.

Any more ideas??

jamesd1085
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Just tried this process to upgrade to newest CWM recovery 6.0.4.7 (currently on 6.0.4.4). COuldn't update via rom manager (again says it flashed successfully but still running old version).

When I run the install-cwm.cmd script in that loki package, I get a permission denied when it tried to run the loki.sh script on my phone.

Any more ideas??
Have you tried flashing a reovery .IMG from clockworkmod.com...you can use flashify from play store...heard a lot have had success with that

Jalh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have not luck getting the custom recovery and I'm looking for a very explanatory guide of how to flash a custom recovery so I could give a try to ny of these two roms:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2643031
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2559335

and here is the original thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2674238.

Im on MDK and rooted.