WiFi reconnect troubles(802.1x PEAP and WPA2) and delayed WhatsApp messages on CM11

Search This thread

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Hi all,
I have two annoying problems with my OneS using Cm11.

First problem is that my WiFi has reconnect problems.
I have two WiFi networks I often connect to. One at home (WPA2) and the one at my University (802.1x PEAP).
The problem is as follows:
When I get home from University and had my phone connected to the Universitys WiFi the phone doesn't reconnect to my home network.
Trying to reconnect "manually" via WiFi menu doesn't work either. The network(s) is/are listed, when I try to connect the text shortly(not even a second, more like a flash) changes from "saved..." to "connecting...". Deleting and readding the network is not helping either. Couldn't connect to the WiFI at my parents yesterday either (also WPA2).
Only way to solve this is to reboot the phone.
Vice versa the problem doesn't exist. When I get to University the phone automatically connects to the WiFi.

Radio is 1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L. Is that the correct Radio being from Germany using T-Mobile network?

Second problem is that WhatsApp messages are delayed while I am connect via WiFi. On 3G the messages arrive instantly.
WiFi is always on.WiFi optimisation is off.
I've read that delayed WA messages are pretty common, but the majority has the problem both with WiFi and 3G.

Few days ago I wiped System, data, android_secure and the caches and installed the latest nightly and latest pa-gapps to see if that helps. But it didn't.

Hope someone can help.

Last edited:
Reactions: ferdisalz

larspace

Jul 9, 2013
I have a similar situation, WPA2 802.1x at my university, WPA2 at home and other locations.
My radio is 1.15.50.05.29
I periodically flashed the latest nightly and somehow it feels like wifi has degraded from version to version.

I can initate a connection, often I get a "authenticating...", sometimes a "obtaining IP Address...", but it just won't connect.
Once I got "Avoided poor internet connection" despite being close to the AP.

I just flashed the 20140309 nightly a few hours ago and it seems like I lost wifi entirely, not even rebooting will help.
I will try to make a clean install, but I doubt it will change anything, it didn't help before... :/

Reactions: Log1c.

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Hey,
can you give some feedback after your clean install?
I haven't tried a clean install with cm11, just flashed it over 10.2.

Is eduroam your university network, too?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Update:
Installed a different ROM yesterday (ViperOne S 3.1.0), but the wifi still isn't connecting when I arrive at home and was connected to my universitys wifi previously.
In ViperOne S I "hot-rebooted (restarts the shell)" and could connect to my home wifi again.

Now I really don't know what's causing this problem.
If it is existing with two different ROMs could my router be the problem?
It is a Speedport W723V, got it from my ISP. WIFI Analyzer says it's made by Arcadyan.

Help :silly:

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Hi,
flashed CM11 back 'cause Viper didn't solve the problem.
Also changed my wifi ssid to one word, before I had a blank in it. Didn't solve it either.
Last week after university it flawlessly connect to my home wifi, today it didn't.
I'm clueless :S

So I'll live with it, hopefully the 4.4.3 update will fix it

ferdisalz

Sep 4, 2012
I'm having exactly the same problem with my One S (S4) and CM11 (M5 Snapshot). I'm only using it for a day but could experience the behaviour when changing from University WiFi (802.1x EAP, eduroam) to home WiFi (WPA2) repeatedly.
Looks like some more people have that issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50953449

Is there any known solution?

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Hi,
as of today I haven't found a solution.
Thanks for the link to other people, with the same problem.
Sadly this problem seems to be not well responded to. I can't post on Cm11 thread yet...
Maybe a bug report would help.
Will try to put one together :)

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
Hi,
Sadly this problem seems to be not well responded to. I can't post on Cm11 thread yet...

There is no solution and its only got worse on CM when they added wifi to the kernel because before you could just turn on airplane mode on/off to fix it.

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
There is no solution and its only got worse on CM when they added wifi to the kernel because before you could just turn on airplane mode on/off to fix it.

So would flashing a different kernel help?

I'll flash the latest Snapshot today, record a logcat and post a bug report on the cm tracker. Maybe something will come of it :)

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks.
Will do the bug report tomorrow as reports for nightlies are not allowed.
Will post hit here aswell

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Just opened a report: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-3923

Also noticed something while going through my logcat from today:
Code:
I/wpa_supplicant(13930): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-REENABLED id=2 ssid="FreeCookies"
I/wpa_supplicant(13930): wlan0: Trying to associate with [MAC-ADRESS] (SSID='FreeCookies' freq=2412 MHz)
I/wpa_supplicant(13930): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=[MAC-ADRESS] status_code=1
I/wpa_supplicant(13930): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-SSID-TEMP-DISABLED id=2 ssid="FreeCookies" auth_failures=16 duration=60

after reboot:
Code:
I/wpa_supplicant(856): Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
I/wpa_supplicant(856): wlan0: Trying to associate with [MAC-ADRESS] (SSID='FreeCookies' freq=2412 MHz)
I/wpa_supplicant(856): wlan0: Associated with [MAC-ADRESS]
I/wpa_supplicant(856): wlan0: WPA: Key negotiation completed with [MAC-ADRESS] [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
I/wpa_supplicant(856): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to [MAC-ADRESS] completed (auth) [id=2 id_str=]

well, let's see what comes of it :)

edit: well...
Ethan Chen on CM bugtracker said:
This is device specific to HTC One S, HTC One XL, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC Droid Incredible 4G. They all share the same WLAN driver. Honestly I'm not actually very confident in getting a fix for this, thus far we have been completely unsuccessful in our attempts to update the prima WLAN kernel driver (not for lack of trying, I know of at least 5 separate attempts, each when we found newer wcnss firmware), so we are still stuck using an ancient one with this issue present.

Last edited:

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
Ya bit of a shame but has been a bit crap on sense but not has bad.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

geoek

May 13, 2014
I have a smiliar issue since the installation of CM11 (version for hboot 2.16). I can connect to open hotspot, but it is impossible to connect to my personnal WPA network. My radio is 1.20.50.05.16 and i'd like to test with other versions (1.10 for exemple) because i have read that 1.20 is for sense ROM (before, i was using Maximus HD). But when I try to flash another radio, if failed (in recovery). (note that my one s is s-off)

An idea ?

larspace

Jul 9, 2013
Still have the problem, but turning the WIFI AP on and off again seems to be a reliable workaround. At least faster than a reboot.

Log1c.

Jul 10, 2012
Just for info, if someone finds this thread and didn't know:

The problem, as of Aug 20th, is fixed! :)

Quote from Matt Mower on the Bugtracker:
I used to be able to faithfully reproduce this bug whenever I came home from work. This is fixed beginning with nightly 20140819 and will be included in the next M snapshot.
One bug down, and I fully anticipate 17 to open in its place.
Commits: 70636, 70643, 70645, 70646, 70705, and new wcnss blobs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I have two annoying problems with my OneS using Cm11.

First problem is that my WiFi has reconnect problems.
    I have two WiFi networks I often connect to. One at home (WPA2) and the one at my University (802.1x PEAP).
    The problem is as follows:
    When I get home from University and had my phone connected to the Universitys WiFi the phone doesn't reconnect to my home network.
    Trying to reconnect "manually" via WiFi menu doesn't work either. The network(s) is/are listed, when I try to connect the text shortly(not even a second, more like a flash) changes from "saved..." to "connecting...". Deleting and readding the network is not helping either. Couldn't connect to the WiFI at my parents yesterday either (also WPA2).
    Only way to solve this is to reboot the phone.
    Vice versa the problem doesn't exist. When I get to University the phone automatically connects to the WiFi.

Radio is 1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L. Is that the correct Radio being from Germany using T-Mobile network?

Second problem is that WhatsApp messages are delayed while I am connect via WiFi. On 3G the messages arrive instantly.
    WiFi is always on.WiFi optimisation is off.
    I've read that delayed WA messages are pretty common, but the majority has the problem both with WiFi and 3G.

Few days ago I wiped System, data, android_secure and the caches and installed the latest nightly and latest pa-gapps to see if that helps. But it didn't.

Hope someone can help.
    I have a similar situation, WPA2 802.1x at my university, WPA2 at home and other locations.
    My radio is 1.15.50.05.29
    I periodically flashed the latest nightly and somehow it feels like wifi has degraded from version to version.

I can initate a connection, often I get a "authenticating...", sometimes a "obtaining IP Address...", but it just won't connect.
    Once I got "Avoided poor internet connection" despite being close to the AP.

I just flashed the 20140309 nightly a few hours ago and it seems like I lost wifi entirely, not even rebooting will help.
    I will try to make a clean install, but I doubt it will change anything, it didn't help before... :/
    I'm having exactly the same problem with my One S (S4) and CM11 (M5 Snapshot). I'm only using it for a day but could experience the behaviour when changing from University WiFi (802.1x EAP, eduroam) to home WiFi (WPA2) repeatedly.
    Looks like some more people have that issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50953449

Is there any known solution?
    Hi,

So would flashing a different kernel help?

I'll flash the latest Snapshot today, record a logcat and post a bug report on the cm tracker. Maybe something will come of it :)

You could try the tracker and custom kernel will have the same issue.