Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,141 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just got my replacement phone and....

Tip us?

Slicktune
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Default Just got my replacement phone and....

It unfortunatly came with knox... now what if i dont care to trip knox... will having knox effect the way i glash roms... or can i even flash roms? [Ive searched everywhere for my answer and all i get is mixed answers...] some say i cant flash with knox... others are talking in threads like they tripped knox and flashing roms... HELP PLEASE... thanks in advanceee!
btw from all the reading i ha e done it seems that a "Tripped knox counter" only affects the ppl sending it thru repair and not warrenty... please if someone can shed light on this... again... thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1709
Knox doesn't prevent you from rooting or flashing ROM.

☞ Sent from here ☜
The Following User Says Thank You to baseballfanz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Slicktune
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Thanks but what about warranty rejecting the phone because of Knox or is it only for repair by the way I'm in New Jersey

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktune View Post
Thanks but what about warranty rejecting the phone because of Knox or is it only for repair by the way I'm in New Jersey

Your warrenty (The phone no longer powers on, send me a new one) is voided by tripping Knox.

Your insurance (The $9 a month you may or may not pay for damage or loss) is not voided.

Please search next time. There are literally 30 threads asking this exact question. Searching avoids filling up the forum with repeated questions, which makes finding unique questions more difficult.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipjacks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Slicktune
Old
(Last edited by Slicktune; 10th March 2014 at 07:38 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
Knox doesn't prevent you from rooting or flashing ROM.

☞ Sent from here ☜
Opps but ive updated to tmobile stock 4.4.2... does this mean i cant root? ive searched everywhere for the answer but it seems like ppl just started updating....

spyke1999
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Your warrenty (The phone no longer powers on, send me a new one) is voided by tripping Knox.

Your insurance (The $9 a month you may or may not pay for damage or loss) is not voided.

Please search next time. There are literally 30 threads asking this exact question. Searching avoids filling up the forum with repeated questions, which makes finding unique questions more difficult.
The warranty is not voided if you void Knox I did and I was running custom u sent mine in after it broke and they sent me a new one because it was still under warranty

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke1999 View Post
The warranty is not voided if you void Knox I did and I was running custom u sent mine in after it broke and they sent me a new one because it was still under warranty

Let me rephrase that...

Tripping knox is SUPPOSED to void your warrenty. Many people are finding that Samsung/T Mobile aren't properly checking the Knox status with a warrenty claim and are honoring the warrenties anyway. But it's not a guarentee.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

spyke1999
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Let me rephrase that...

Tripping knox is SUPPOSED to void your warrenty. Many people are finding that Samsung/T Mobile aren't properly checking the Knox status with a warrenty claim and are honoring the warrenties anyway. But it's not a guarentee.
I hear that tmobile doesn't care much seems it's more of a Samsung thing

Skipjacks
Old
(Last edited by Skipjacks; 10th March 2014 at 09:50 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke1999 View Post
I hear that tmobile doesn't care much seems it's more of a Samsung thing

T Mobile is going to care once Samsung stops saying Knox tripped phones back from T Mobile. Remember, it's not T Mobile that is repairing the borken devices are reselling them as refurbished. Samsung is still doing that. T Mobile just asks as a middle man in that process. The warrenty is still Samsung's. And when Samsung tells T Mobile they won't accept any more knox tripped phones, T Mobile is going to start checking more closely.

That said, the warrenty is still invalid per the user agreement with Knox tripped. T Mobile could decide tomorrow or 6 months from now to start checking. If they do they are well within the law to deny a warrenty claim on a knox tripped phone. Just because they are ignoring it now doesn't mean they have to.

spyke1999
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
T Mobile is going to care once Samsung stops saying Knox tripped phones back from T Mobile. REmember, it's not
That will suck