Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 44,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to password protect your recovery on Android?

Tip us?

xKillerXSmileZx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Question [Q] Is it possible to password protect your recovery on Android?

I've searched but couldn't find anything related to this topic. I was wondering if it was possible to password protect your recovery on Android devices. For example, my phone is pretty old and unsupported now but it has Clockworkmod as my recovery for flashing ROMS and wiping and thought if a person wanting to steal my or anyone's phone, they just need to wipe it if they know how. However, this could be avoided by making the phone completely useless to them if recovery was password protected. Is this possible, and are there phones or custom recoveries that have something like that?

N'ayam Amarsh'e
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Nope...
The Following User Says Thank You to N'ayam Amarsh'e For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MoHaG
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One use I can see for such a capability (at least a recovery password) is to make it harder to perform a factory reset on a stolen phone and it might give apps like Prey / Android device Manager a chance to activate...

It is certainly not completely foolproof, but it might help defend against the average thief that expect a stock recovery that allows settings to be wiped easily...

LS.xD
Old
Thanks Meter 585

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKillerXSmileZx View Post
I've searched but couldn't find anything related to this topic. I was wondering if it was possible to password protect your recovery on Android devices. For example, my phone is pretty old and unsupported now but it has Clockworkmod as my recovery for flashing ROMS and wiping and thought if a person wanting to steal my or anyone's phone, they just need to wipe it if they know how. However, this could be avoided by making the phone completely useless to them if recovery was password protected. Is this possible, and are there phones or custom recoveries that have something like that?

Thats the most useful question/suggestion I remember !!!
HTC One S @ PAC-man 4.4.2 [ALPHA1] [12/5/2014] + IceCode Kernel v4.0 // HBoot 2.15 - unlocked BL - S-OFF - NO "tampered & warning text" // TWRP mod 2.7.0.8

Samsung Galaxy W @ ParanoidAndroid 4.3 [BETA3] [6/5/2014] + KhaN Kernel v2.0 // Base: I8150XXLMI // PhilZ CWM 6.01.4

"REVIVED" HTC Wildfire S @ CyanogenMod 11(AWESOME!!!) [6/5/2014] //HBoot 1.09 - unlocked BL // TWRP 2.7.0.0

It won't hurt you to press "thanks" if me or someone other helped you...