Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 41,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Really nervous about accidentally bricking, so just some cautionary questions...

Tip us?

JustAk
Old
(Last edited by JustAk; 10th March 2014 at 09:06 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla View Post
Are you doing this with the phone turned on and booted into the os? It gives you a PTP error first, make sure the phone is in MTP. At the bottom you also have a LIBMTP error tho. I don't have much experience with debian but from what I understand it is extremely stable but the downside is that it can be a bit out of date at times. Ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives had a major mtp flaw awhile back but it has since been fixed. Im not sure if it has been fixed in debian. Yes ubuntu is based off of debian, but just like linux mint will add things to the ubuntu base, ubuntu will do the same to the debian base. So LIBMTP MAY be out of date, Im not sure. I know that I have no problem seeing my phone from either the terminal or file browser. Check this out and see if it helps any.

If not you may have to follow engine's advice and format the sd.

EDIT: Also this might work, it is for linux mint but adding the repository and installing it should work on debian(I think) since they all use .deb files. Before ubuntu officially supported mtp by default this was the most popular work around.
The first thing you linked to (steneteg.org or somesuch) was another avenue I went down trying to solve this, but alas it resulted with much the same problems. The second link to the linuxmint forums looked very promising, the only problem with it is the ppa has been dropped by webupd8 so it no longer is available (404s).

I have just discovered earlier today that adb push/pull works for getting things onto/off of my device, but I can't use adb to mount the device to allow it to be seen with a filemanager (thunar in this case). So, that's progress I think.

EDIT : I just saw mention somewhere of androidair, have yyou any experience with this app's reliability/security?

HPTesla
Old
(Last edited by HPTesla; 10th March 2014 at 09:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
The first thing you linked to (steneteg.org or somesuch) was another avenue I went down trying to solve this, but alas it resulted with much the same problems. The second link to the linuxmint forums looked very promising, the only problem with it is the ppa has been dropped by webupd8 so it no longer is available (404s).

I have just discovered earlier today that adb push/pull works for getting things onto/off of my device, but I can't use adb to mount the device to allow it to be seen with a filemanager (thunar in this case). So, that's progress I think.

EDIT : I just saw mention somewhere of androidair, have yyou any experience with this app's reliability/security?
You can try searching for other places where go-mptfs is located, other ppas where it still might be. The ubuntu forums also has this as a possible solution. I haven't used androidair but I have moved files over wifi using the sshdroid app and an ssh server on my pc with great success. If you have any experience with ssh that could be a possible solution although it is obviously slower than usb. But ssh in general is a simple and great tool, also pretty secure since you are simply connected to your home wifi - as long as your wifi is secure you should be fine.
On my pc I believe its openssh that I use - plenty of tutorials out there for that - and here is the link to sshdroid in the play store. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I will also be at work until 2p.m. EST so may not be able to reply back until then - don't worry, I will as soon as I get home if you have any other issues.

Like the banner? Original Dr Who image found here.

Sprint LS970 LG optimus G
with Viper1.1 Kernel

Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013
with Multirom TWRP 2.6.3

My android bootanimations can all be found here.

"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.” - H.P. Lovecraft
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla