LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] is it safe to delete everything on a 2nd hand phone - including system folders

OP temp4285

10th March 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc
10th March 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Kobro's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moshav Matityahu
Thanks Meter: 73
 
463 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp4285

Hi - i bought a 2nd hand phone and in case there is any spyware on it, i want to delete everything on it, including all the system folders using clockwork mod. is this safe?

i am wondering, will the imei numbers be preserved ? (ie, are they actually written on a chip that is read only, or are they in the system folders too?) i am wondering this with a few model phones --- galaxy nexus (which i believe does get the imei reset), sony xperia t, nexus 4, etc

just boot into recovery, and do format, wipe data, etc.
10th March 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 49
 
184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

just boot into recovery, and do format, wipe data, etc.

Never Try to delete system folders on your phone you will surely get a brick and no one would be able to fix it....

Just Go to setting and find Factory Reset Option that would be the solution to your question...

Hit thanks if i helped......
10th March 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by N'ayam Amarsh'e

Never Try to delete system folders on your phone you will surely get a brick and no one would be able to fix it....

Just Go to setting and find Factory Reset Option that would be the solution to your question...

Hit thanks if i helped......


yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?
11th March 2014, 11:02 AM   |  #5  
Kobro's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moshav Matityahu
Thanks Meter: 73
 
463 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp4285

yes, but surely someone can leave a virus or eavesdropping tool in the system folder ?

i plan to put a custom rom on after that anyway - so is it safe to remove the system folder ?

the only thing i can see that may cause problems is the IMEI number ?

if you wipe with cwm it will erase everything that can be safely erased.
12th March 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobro

if you wipe with cwm it will erase everything that can be safely erased.

not true - because if you delete the system folder - which you can - on some phones the imei resets, i believe, to something generic

any thoughts anyone ?
13th March 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Jupiter
Thanks Meter: 5
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
If you delete a folder that the os needs, it will rebuild it when it boots

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes