Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,526 Members 49,671 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any other great uses for the S-Pen?

Tip us?

Mr Itch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Any other great uses for the S-Pen?

Hi all,

First off, I love my Note. Its absolutely fantastic - the screen, the screen/device size ratio, the thinness, the performance, the camera. For me this is the best phone on the market today. I also love the S-Pen and the feeling of writing on the screen.....but I have no apparent use for it? It appears that I bought the phone for all its other features apart from its unique selling point.....

For texting, emails, tasks - they keyboard with swiftkey is miles faster - especially as the size of the device allows two-thumbed fast typing.
Maybe for jotting down phone numbers, etc if I'm on a call but if I'm on the phone I cant really use it (dont want to do speaker) and I'll ask the other person to send an email or text with details.
Diagrams may be a use but usually if I'm sitting down to do diagrams for someone I'll grab a piece of A4 (and take a picture of it afterwards).
I dont attend lectures or conferences at the moment so I dont need it for fast scrawling in those scenarios.
I dont do art on the phone.

The only thing I cant think of is possibly meeting notes.

It just seems a bit of a waste - its a great feature but looking for a application.

Anyone else feel this or have any any other uses I could possibly make use of? I'm not particularly worried about not using the S-Pen but would like to find a useful application for it is poss.

Cheers.

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 769
Games.

I particularly find Fruit Ninja to work better with a pen, just like hidden object games, builder games, match 3 games and other such. Anything that requires you to see the full expanse of the screen without your fingers/hand getting in the way, really.

Also, it makes it easier to keep your screen clean, like whn you want to watch a full-HD film without getting fingerprints on the screen. (or during lunch.)
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I used to have small pieces of paper with notes, like shopping list, things to do, phone #, deadlines, notes from the meetings etc. No more of that, I still forget sometimes I have phone to take notes, but slowly getting used to it. Also I hate typing, especially on the phone, so I'm not good at it and always hit the wrong keys with my fingers, so actually I prefer typing with the pen (very minimal, like website name or search, I don't do texting) and my kids love drawing sketches on it. I think my next phone will have to have s-pen.

Mr Itch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the ideas guys. Didnt think about games or, in fact, using the S-Pen as the main navigation tool. I guess it would be a lot more precise and if I get used to *always* getting it out to use the phone maybe I'll find more uses for it.

maxilick
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Unfortunately I can't post my ideas here as they are X-rated.

moSess
Old
Thanks Meter 65
I use my pen to cover the hole in the bottom of my phone
Note 3

Old phones:
Note II
iPhone 4s(Blech!! SOLD!)
G2(BackUp)
SAMSUNG VIBRANT(Returned)
RHODIUM(Again, Sold On Craigslist)
S743 Rose(Sold on XDA)
DASH 3G(So happy to have discovered Windows Mobile Standard. Sold on Craigslist)
NEXUS ONE(Sold on XDA)
RHODIUM(Was So Happy to be Done With Windows)
FUZE(Should have stayed with this one, why did I keep upgrading? Sold on XDA)
WING(The Beginning)

Quote:
Difficulties can never be greater than our capacity to solve them!
P.R. Sarkar