Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I have 4G or not?

Tip us?

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by profyler View Post
no, at least here in brazil, if i want to use 4g, i have to ask for a 4g slim card.
I had to get a new SIM from O2 here in the UK to use 4G.

bendash
Old
(Last edited by bendash; 6th March 2014 at 09:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Something similar is the case with my Z1 Compact. I'm in Hungary, Central Europe, and never saw the 4G / LTE sign on my phone. I had an old SIM card that I've cut to the appropriate size, which worked, but I suspected that maybe it wasn't 4G-capable, so got a new one from T-Mobile last weekend.

Now I have a 4G-capable SIM card, 4G data plan (newly registered just two weeks ago, and it's already running according to my T-Mobile account info on their website), and there is 4G coverage in Budapest, the capital city, and still, when I try to choose the 4G T-Mobile H network, it tries to connect and then drops back to 3G.

I'm going to wait until this weekend and then get someone from T-Mobile on the phone about this.

marcolorenzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxz0O0 View Post
I have also Orange contract in Switzerland. And I get 4G in most places. Where do you live?
However I received a new simcard (since I got the normal size in my S2). You might want to contact orange customer service or go to an orange shop.
I'm in Luzern. My friends who are also with Orange can get 4G. I guess I'll contact them but I might wait until my contract expires in a couple of months since I might change carriers. No point buying a new SIM card now if I'm gonna change later. Thanks everyone for the help!

profyler
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendash View Post
Something similar is the case with my Z1 Compact. I'm in Hungary, Central Europe, and never saw the 4G / LTE sign on my phone. I had an old SIM card that I've cut to the appropriate size, which worked, but I suspected that maybe it wasn't 4G-capable, so got a new one from T-Mobile last weekend.

Now I have a 4G-capable SIM card, 4G data plan (newly registered just two weeks ago, and it's already running according to my T-Mobile account info on their website), and there is 4G coverage in Budapest, the capital city, and still, when I try to choose the 4G T-Mobile H network, it tries to connect and then drops back to 3G.

I'm going to wait until this weekend and then get someone from T-Mobile on the phone about this.
Check you APN settings.
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Stock

bendash
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by profyler View Post
Check you APN settings.
I did, and it's the suggested internet.telekom as it is in the documentation on T-Mobile's 4G settings:

This is the message I get when I try to connect to the 4G network:

bendash
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've figured out why I don't have 4G at the moment.

I have a pay as you go plan, not a monthly plan, and apparently I need a monthly plan to have 4G with the data plan that I use.

Kind of sucks, but at least now I know that it's not a setup, phone or SIM card problem.

marcolorenzo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
So I finally went to an Orange shop. The guy there was very helpful but he said that I shouldn't need a new SIM card for 4G to work. He then checked various settings but everything seemed to be in order. In the end, he gave me a new SIM card and it worked! I was surprised that I didn't need to pay for the new SIM card. So now 4G is working as advertised