Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lumia 521 as iPaq replacement?

Tip us?

Stonent
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default Lumia 521 as iPaq replacement?

We've got a user at my place of employ that has an old HP iPaq that has been used 7 years as part of his job function to walk around and take inventory of things in his department. We've tried numerous times to get him off to a laptop or more recently a Surface tablet, but he is 100% against it because they don't fit in his shirt pocket. We looked at WinMo6.5 devices from Symbol, Intermec and others and they all want $600+ each. We have existing WinMo scan guns in our warehouse that would work but they are about $1500 each.

I suggested getting him a Lumia 521 but do not activate it. The basic function he needs is opening a spreadsheet, updating his inventory and then plug into his PC and save that spreadsheet to their network share.

I was wondering what everyone else thought, will the 521 function without an activated SIM? The existing device doesn't use wifi, and we have policies against putting unmanaged devices on wifi, so that's not a problem.

Also the fact he was on WinMo6.0 (or 5.something) caused him to be stuck on using old style XLS spreadsheets and putting him on 8 will be the easy migration path for going to XLSX.

DaviUnic
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Yes, the phone can be used normally without a SIM (except for calling and texting, obviously)...

xandros9
Old
Thanks Meter 1
since you're not looking to get service, an ATT 520 may be a better option since I believe they are cheaper than the T-Mo 521 up front. The only difference is being black and a bit shorter since the 521 is slightly taller than the base 520 model.

Since its powered by Windows, it has Office onboard.

It's worth noting that the Office onboard may not be able to edit old format .xls's. As long as he sticks to .xlsx's, he should be OK.

Windows Phones will function fine without a SIM, you just can't do the phone features, but thats obvious. I've set up and played with my sister's 521 before the Straight Talk SIM she ordered arrived. Worked just fine.
Palm m505 > Zire 71 / Tungsten C > Tungsten T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > HTC Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920