Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

can't install ANY rom. Help!

Tip us?
 
aspen1135
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default can't install ANY rom. Help!

So I was having some issues with feedback during calls with almost all custom ROMS. I reverted back to the gingerbread stock rom via odin to see if it was just a ROM problem and I found the source of the initial problem. But now when I boot into the recovery, it won't flash any new ROM I want to go back to. I do the normal flash/wipe + the cache for good measure, and apply the zip and It'll say "Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (no space left on the device)." But I have 4gb free on my phone so i'm definitely not out of space. I've tried the AOKP JB rom, shoshock, and the newest cyanogen mod. No luck on any of them.

What am I doing wrong?
 
cyril279
Old
#2  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1030
Posts: 510
Join Date: Jun 2013
Tell us more details about your process, from stock through root and kernel, and we can help you out better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
So I was having some issues with feedback during calls with almost all custom ROMS. I reverted back to the gingerbread stock rom via odin to see if it was just a ROM problem and I found the source of the initial problem. But now when I boot into the recovery, it won't flash any new ROM I want to go back to. I do the normal flash/wipe + the cache for good measure, and apply the zip and It'll say "Short write of /tmp/sideload/package.zip (no space left on the device)." But I have 4gb free on my phone so i'm definitely not out of space. I've tried the AOKP JB rom, shoshock, and the newest cyanogen mod. No luck on any of them.

What am I doing wrong?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aspen1135
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
Tell us more details about your process, from stock through root and kernel, and we can help you out better.
Well the process is fairly straight forward. I think Ive explained the details as well as I can. I flashed the stock firmware through Odin and can't reflash any new rom or kernel. I made a nanbackup before doing this but the factory stocks kernel doesn't support backup/restore. I need to go from this old stock gingerbread rom back to shoshock or anything else to restore my backup.
 
cyril279
Old
#4  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1030
Posts: 510
Join Date: Jun 2013
In your explanation, I didn't see mention of how you rooted the device, or what custom-kernel you chose, or how (or if) you flashed the custom kernel. The stock recovery won't allow the installation of firmware that was not signed by Samsung, and Odin-flashing custom firmware is not the preferred method.

>>This Guide<< is the most up-to-date, and straight-forward method that I'm aware of for the I777, I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
Well the process is fairly straight forward. I think Ive explained the details as well as I can. I flashed the stock firmware through Odin and can't reflash any new rom or kernel. I made a nanbackup before doing this but the factory stocks kernel doesn't support backup/restore. I need to go from this old stock gingerbread rom back to shoshock or anything else to restore my backup.
Once you're rooted and kernel'd, and can tell us what android version firmware you're trying to get to, we can better suggest which custom kernel to flash prior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aspen1135
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
In your explanation, I didn't see mention of how you rooted the device, or what custom-kernel you chose, or how (or if) you flashed the custom kernel. The stock recovery won't allow the installation of firmware that was not signed by Samsung, and Odin-flashing custom firmware is not the preferred method.

>>This Guide<< is the most up-to-date, and straight-forward method that I'm aware of for the I777, I highly recommend it.



Once you're rooted and kernel'd, and can tell us what android version firmware you're trying to get to, we can better suggest which custom kernel to flash prior.
Sorry for not elaborating. The stock ROM (the one i'm on now) thats flash-able through odin, is pre-rooted.

I got it from this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1286432

But other than root, its completely stock gingerbread, Stock kernel, Bloatware, ETC. I'm trying to get to at least jelly bean or higher. I was on the shoshock rom before I decided to revert to the factory rom to test some things out. The signed package thing you mentioned makes sense because signature verification fails whenever i try to flash a different kernel. But it wont let me flash any of the jelly bean ROMS either (refer to my first post's error).

I visited the link you provided, and want to give the method a try. But mobile odin lite has been giving me constant trouble. it keeps saying I need to install another ad on in order to flash stuff and when I hit OK, the link takes me to my browser, but doesnt direct me to the web page that provides the ad-on download. Where do I go from here?
 
cyril279
Old
#6  
cyril279's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1030
Posts: 510
Join Date: Jun 2013
The add-on that mobile odin is trying to download is the i777 flash kernel that it needs to perform its magic. It's in post #10 of the mobile odin thread. Whether you use mobile odin lite or pro, you need this flash kernel. I'm not sure why it wouldn't download it from within the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
Sorry for not elaborating. The stock ROM (the one i'm on now) thats flash-able through odin, is pre-rooted.

I got it from this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1286432

But other than root, its completely stock gingerbread, Stock kernel, Bloatware, ETC. I'm trying to get to at least jelly bean or higher. I was on the shoshock rom before I decided to revert to the factory rom to test some things out. The signed package thing you mentioned makes sense because signature verification fails whenever i try to flash a different kernel. But it wont let me flash any of the jelly bean ROMS either (refer to my first post's error).

I visited the link you provided, and want to give the method a try. But mobile odin lite has been giving me constant trouble. it keeps saying I need to install another ad on in order to flash stuff and when I hit OK, the link takes me to my browser, but doesnt direct me to the web page that provides the ad-on download. Where do I go from here?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aspen1135
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279 View Post
The add-on that mobile odin is trying to download is the i777 flash kernel that it needs to perform its magic. It's in post #10 of the mobile odin thread. Whether you use mobile odin lite or pro, you need this flash kernel. I'm not sure why it wouldn't download it from within the app.
Thank you thank you! I will try this out when I get a break from my classes. IDK why it wouldn't either. Much thanks!
 
aspen1135
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 111
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
Thank you thank you! I will try this out when I get a break from my classes. IDK why it wouldn't either. Much thanks!
Just wanted to confirm that the mobile ODIN method worked and I now have my phone restored to how it was. Thanks again for all the help.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes