Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 51,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Update before installing custom ROM?

Tip us?

ArobeeTV
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Update before installing custom ROM?

I'm getting a Note 8.0 in a couple weeks, and I plan to root and install a custom ROM right off the bat. My question is, do I need to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 before rooting and installing a 4.2.2 custom ROM, or can I just root on 4.1.2 and go for the 4.2.2 custom ROM straight away? I only ask because in Canada, we don't get the 4.2.2 update and it'll take some extra steps to install Samsung's 4.2.2 firmware manually. I would rather skip that step if it's not actually necessary.

gabripranzo
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArobeeTV View Post
I'm getting a Note 8.0 in a couple weeks, and I plan to root and install a custom ROM right off the bat. My question is, do I need to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 before rooting and installing a 4.2.2 custom ROM, or can I just root on 4.1.2 and go for the 4.2.2 custom ROM straight away? I only ask because in Canada, we don't get the 4.2.2 update and it'll take some extra steps to install Samsung's 4.2.2 firmware manually. I would rather skip that step if it's not actually necessary.
No particular need to update. Just install Cwm, wipe everything and flash your rom (Civz rom suggested).

Sent from Galaxy Note 8.0 GTN5100
The Following User Says Thank You to gabripranzo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ArobeeTV
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabripranzo View Post
No particular need to update. Just install Cwm, wipe everything and flash your rom (Civz rom suggested).

Fantastic, thank you very much. That's the ROM I was going after too, actually lol. It looks pretty good!

gabripranzo
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArobeeTV View Post
Fantastic, thank you very much. That's the ROM I was going after too, actually lol. It looks pretty good!
Anyway please read carefully the instructions in Rom thread.