Best Car stereo for phone control?

Search This thread

copekyle

Feb 12, 2013
Logan, UT
Hey guys. I'm about to buy an in dash dvd/navigation stereo unit and I'd like some opinions. Are there any that completely mirror the HTC One. I'm talking both showing the phone on the screen and allowing complete bluetooth control of the phone screen from the unit. I basically want my phone in dash. I'm rooted and running a custom ROM (Insert Coin, it's the best). Can any one recommend something with these features? If this is not possible, I need something that is awesome with bluetooth. I need A2DP streaming, phone support and the MAP (message access protocol) to view text messages on the deck.

Thanks,
Kyle

mbaseball3

Nov 20, 2008
the oc
The pioneer appradio 2 or 3. It's a capacitive touch screen with hdmi input and Bluetooth. The 3 supports a2dp. I have the app radio2. As long as phone is rooted with arliberator installed you can fully mirror phone to head unit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

copekyle

Feb 12, 2013
Logan, UT
The pioneer appradio 2 or 3. It's a capacitive touch screen with hdmi input and Bluetooth. The 3 supports a2dp. I have the app radio2. As long as phone is rooted with arliberator installed you can fully mirror phone to head unit.

When you say fully mirror, does that mean it's essentially like having your phone dash mounted? (tap gestures on the appradio control the phone's screen?)

mbaseball3

Nov 20, 2008
the oc
Correct. All touch, swipe, pinch to zoom features all work and relate to phones screen. So basically your phone becomes a 7 inch in dash android radio. Radio comes with external gps receiver, and external mic. Only things you need extra is an HDMI cable, and mhl. And of course the app arliberator.

mbaseball3

Nov 20, 2008
the oc
I did 2 installs with the Appradio 2 both in 07 dodge rams. I had to mod the install kit for the radio to work in the stock radio locations as they are 1.5 din and the appradio is a 2 din.

Attachments

• IMAG0210-1.jpg
    IMAG0210-1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 323

cchant

May 11, 2010
I just installed an app radio 2 in my Avalanche and besides some white snow issues that I think are related to my cheap mhl adapted it's pretty sweet.

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

CrowsSong

Jul 28, 2007
Charging issues

For anyone else who uses an Appradio with an HTC One, are you having battery drain when connected?

I lose about 3% of my battery every 10 minutes or so when I am plugged into the MHL adapter, and that is when the phone is otherwise idle. If I am navigating, I'll be lucky to arrive at my destination with any charge left at all I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this. I've tried a different MHL adapter, charger and USB cable. I've tried a fast-charge enabled kernel. I've tried Screen Standby to turn off the display when connected.

Anyone have better luck?

cchant

May 11, 2010
It is draining pretty quick for me too. I read that mirroring is a battery hog.

I'm trying to find a genuine Samsung mhl adapter to try out because all the cheap ones I've tried don't work the greatest

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

Hesster

Mar 1, 2011
Does anyone know what cable you would need to connect the One to an AppRadio 3? I'm thinking of getting the model without the CD/DVD drive (why do I need those anyway since I have a smartphone?) and I'm confused over whether I need the $30 CD-MU200 or the more expensive kit.

For anyone else who uses an Appradio with an HTC One, are you having battery drain when connected?

I lose about 3% of my battery every 10 minutes or so when I am plugged into the MHL adapter, and that is when the phone is otherwise idle. If I am navigating, I'll be lucky to arrive at my destination with any charge left at all I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this. I've tried a different MHL adapter, charger and USB cable. I've tried a fast-charge enabled kernel. I've tried Screen Standby to turn off the display when connected.

Anyone have better luck?

Do you have an AppRadio 2 or 3? The AR2 only outputs 500mA, which is not enough to run power-hungry phones. I've heard there are adapters that connect to the cigarette lighter that will boost the power to the phone. AR3 has an output of 1000mA, so hopefully it wouldn't have those problems.

bstarks16

May 19, 2013
Does anyone know what cable you would need to connect the One to an AppRadio 3? I'm thinking of getting the model without the CD/DVD drive (why do I need those anyway since I have a smartphone?) and I'm confused over whether I need the $30 CD-MU200 or the more expensive kit.

Do you have an AppRadio 2 or 3? The AR2 only outputs 500mA, which is not enough to run power-hungry phones. I've heard there are adapters that connect to the cigarette lighter that will boost the power to the phone. AR3 has an output of 1000mA, so hopefully it wouldn't have those problems.

I agree, the App Radio 3 is the way to go. And for instant gratification have it price matched from Sonic Electronics at Best Buy. You need ARUnchained which is on this forum to completely mirror the phone but with Tasker, and Lightning launcher you can do some beautiful things with it.

As for the battery drain and the snow, these two things go and and hand. I had the same problem and it was fixed by using the android kit from Pioneer. The Radio's USB only outputs 0.5vdc rather than the 2vdc Pioneer does. I have no issues with charting, however Waze keeps the battery at a steady number and no additional charging will accrue.

mbaseball3

Nov 20, 2008
the oc
Correct to the aboves. Do not use the supplied power from the hu. Mind you the app radio was originally for the iFart which only needed 500mah power. We need mo power. So use a different power source. I found at Frys electronics a 2 usb outlet car 12v plug that has 3.1ah for tablets and 1ah for phones. I used the 3.1 without issue. Make sure you also have the app screen standby for root installed. It'll save power by keeping phones screen off.