5,594,564 Members 33,055 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What is easier to build from the getgo for a Froyo device?
Gingerbread Compatable Kernel 0 0%
Clockworkmod Recovery 0 0%
Cyanogenmod Froyo 0 0%
Cyanogenmod Gingerbread 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

[ROM][InDev] Help Wanted Custom ROM Option for SGH-I857

Tip us?

Legojr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [ROM][InDev] Help Wanted Custom ROM Option for SGH-I857

I am currently attempting to port Cyanogenmod as well as Clockworkmod to a device known as the Samsung DoubleTime SGH-I857. It is a very unique end of life handset that I think needs a little hacking attention. So far I have found most of the partitions names and sizes on the device, and I have pulled the boot.img and recovery.img out of a firmware file for it that I found online. I am confident in my skills but I am often running into trouble when it comes to building with Cyanogenmod source. I am currently using the Froyo branch as I believe it might be easier to build with the same version that is currently on the phone. I eventually plan to some how build gingerbread for it but i am trying to build what I can as of right now.
I am making this thread to report progress and hopefully get advice from those who are more experienced than me. Any help or advice is deeply appreciated.

Legojr
Old
(Last edited by Legojr; 17th February 2014 at 06:44 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Update*
I finally got my build enviornment figured out, I chose Gingerbread because Froyo didn't like me for some reason...
I used the mkvendor.sh method as recommended on the Cyanogenmod Wikipage for porting. I looked through all of the files and everthing seems to be correct except the recovery.fstab which is saying that the system, cache, data, etc. partitions are in all sorts of diffrent file systems; and are mounted in places called the same name as them. The sdcard partition seems to be correct and I'm assuming that I need to manually put in the data. You can look at the files below and tell me if I'm on the right track. I cannot locate any recovery boot or misc partitions using shell commands. There were however there were loop and bml partitions, but they did not appear in the mount or df command.
Attached Files
File Type: txt original_recovery.txt - [Click for QR Code] (347 Bytes, 5 views)
File Type: txt my_recovery.txt - [Click for QR Code] (376 Bytes, 3 views)

Legojr
Old
(Last edited by Legojr; 18th February 2014 at 04:34 AM.) Reason: Troubles with grammar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Update*
I got sick of getting errors regarding my device not existing and random stuff about an HTC ACE. So I plugged the recovery.img from the firmware package into builder.clockworkmod.com and gave it a go. It built sucessfully but I am afraid of the recovery.fstab not being correct.

Upon inspection of sibiling phones most followed a similar pattern or stl## partitions for cache, data and system. Though they all have boot defined as boot and recovery as recovery; both of which with a BML file system. I also noticed the sibilings said their cache, data and systems were ext4 with a 2nd file system of rfs. This is just confusing to me...

I am unsure if I should flash it. I'm confident that the recovery.fstab's recovery and boot partitions are correct but what will happen if I get one of the partitions wrong.

The CWM recovery builder output is here: http://jenkins.cyanogenmod.com/job/recovery/56329/
A sibiling phone example would be: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...recovery.fstab

Anything other files I am happy to give out.
How I feel about my progress:
Attached Files
File Type: zip android_device_samsung_SGHI857.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.90 MB, 16 views)
File Type: img inputrecovery.img - [Click for QR Code] (2.25 MB, 5 views)
File Type: img recovery.img - [Click for QR Code] (2.47 MB, 5 views)

Legojr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Due to my lack of experience, and fear of hardbricking my new DoubleTime, I will be postponing my developement of the Gingerbread port to the Doubletime. My priority now will be learning as much as possible about the device.

To Do List (In Order)
1. Find correct Odin version for flashing.
2. Create Froyo ROM that will maximize freespace.
3. Create working recovery.
4. Build Gingerbread kernel.
5. Port over Gingerbread.

Legojr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I've recently been looking comparitivly at custom ROMs and so far I think the best option might be stock AOSP. I have also been looking into ways to flash onto the phone but ODIN 1.85 doesn't seem to work. It can't be my antivirus as far as I know because I've added firewall exceptions to Odin.

To Do List (in order)
1. Find way to flash things to Doubletime
2. Make Froyo based AOSP
3. Build Gingerbread kernel.
4. Port Gingerbread
(Porting CWM should probably be in there somewhere)
Tags
doubletime, froyo, gingerbread, samsung, sgh-i857