Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,552 Members 47,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Info before buying note 10.1 2014

Tip us?

jst_tsj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Question Info before buying note 10.1 2014

Hi everybody!

For many years I've been looking for a decent tablet with advanced stylus features to use at work. I am a researcher so I need something to take notes while I'm working and a way to read and take notes on scientific books and papers.

It seems the Gnote 10.1 2014 could fit my needs, but I'd like to ask a couple of questions before buying it.

1) Are there any actual difference between the exynos and the snapdragon versions, apart from the problems regarding Samsung not releasing exynos sources in future?
2) Is there any reason why the development of custom roms is still practically absent?
3) Is the international version regionally locked?
4) How can be compared the experience with the S-pen when using custom roms? I'm planning to use mainly of apps which are not directly related to samsung (papyrus, lecturenotes, repligo reader) so in future it could be interesting to flash a custom rom on the tablet. Will the S-Pen keep working properly?
5) Is there any reason why you would discourage me from buying it?

Thank you all guys!

skyhigh73
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst_tsj View Post
Hi everybody!

For many years I've been looking for a decent tablet with advanced stylus features to use at work. I am a researcher so I need something to take notes while I'm working and a way to read and take notes on scientific books and papers.

It seems the Gnote 10.1 2014 could fit my needs, but I'd like to ask a couple of questions before buying it.

1) Are there any actual difference between the exynos and the snapdragon versions, apart from the problems regarding Samsung not releasing exynos sources in future?
2) Is there any reason why the development of custom roms is still practically absent?
3) Is the international version regionally locked?
4) How can be compared the experience with the S-pen when using custom roms? I'm planning to use mainly of apps which are not directly related to samsung (papyrus, lecturenotes, repligo reader) so in future it could be interesting to flash a custom rom on the tablet. Will the S-Pen keep working properly?
5) Is there any reason why you would discourage me from buying it?

Thank you all guys!
I will try to answer many questions.

1) Sure there is a difference between the exynos and snapdragon. The snapdragon (2.3) is faster than the exynos version which is 1.9. Also the snapdragon supports 4G while the exynos supports 3G. There is sometimes lag when using the tab (exynos) while there is no reported lag with the snapdragon version.

2) The development of custom roms is poor for this device, but there are some custom roms for the p-605 (4G-Snapdragon version), while there is few for the exynos version. I don`t know why!!!

3) I don`t know.
4) S-Pen is working perfectly with custom rom and/or root. I`m using many applications dedicated for the S-Pen after rooting my device (p-601/3G/exynos) like S-pen Gesture, GMD Gesture, Stylus Pen Beta,....etc.
5) You can take a look at the new devices Note 12.2 Pro, it comes with Kitkat 4.4, Magazine UX, and improved performance than the Note 2014 edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyhigh73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jst_tsj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh73 View Post

1) Sure there is a difference between the exynos and snapdragon. The snapdragon (2.3) is faster than the exynos version which is 1.9. Also the snapdragon supports 4G while the exynos supports 3G. There is sometimes lag when using the tab (exynos) while there is no reported lag with the snapdragon version.

2) The development of custom roms is poor for this device, but there are some custom roms for the p-605 (4G-Snapdragon version), while there is few for the exynos version. I don`t know why!!!

3) I don`t know.
4) S-Pen is working perfectly with custom rom and/or root. I`m using many applications dedicated for the S-Pen after rooting my device (p-601/3G/exynos) like S-pen Gesture, GMD Gesture, Stylus Pen Beta,....etc.
5) You can take a look at the new devices Note 12.2 Pro, it comes with Kitkat 4.4, Magazine UX, and improved performance than the Note 2014 edition.
Thank you very much for your answers! The note 12 would be perfect for the use I'm planning to do, but it's too expensive for me so I think I'll take this instead

What about the Knox fuse? Is there any way to avoid its damage?

Thx again!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

skyhigh73
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Thank you very much for your answers! The note 12 would be perfect for the use I'm planning to do, but it's too expensive for me so I think I'll take this instead

What about the Knox fuse? Is there any way to avoid its damage?

Thx again!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
U r welcomed.

Regarding knox and warranty void. It is still noway to avoid this. However I re-flashed my device 3 times and rooted it 3 times but finally I got only 1 bin counter, instead of 3 I don`t know why!!
The Following User Says Thank You to skyhigh73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ahmedmoataz
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh73 View Post

3) I don`t know.
There is no difference between the exynos and snapdragon.....I used both of them and the exynos has better graphics but the snapdragon has better frame rate. .......also the exynos better in using battery while the snapdragon charges faster....
By the way.......the lag is software problem so it is on both of them
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahmedmoataz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jst_tsj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmedmoataz View Post
There is no difference between the exynos and snapdragon.....I used both of them and the exynos has better graphics but the snapdragon has better frame rate. .......also the exynos better in using battery while the snapdragon charges faster....
By the way.......the lag is software problem so it is on both of them
So you can confirm me that the tablet suffers of performance lags?

I was asking regarding the exynos vs snap because, as an earlier SGSIII user, I'm pretty aware of the development difficulties arising from the decision of Samsung to not release sources for the exynos platform. Hence, I wouldn't like to buy a tablet which won't be supported properly by the community due to commercial strategies.

Ahmedmoataz
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:

I was asking regarding the exynos vs snap because, as an earlier SGSIII user, I'm pretty aware of the development difficulties arising from the decision of Samsung to not release sources for the exynos platform. Hence, I wouldn't like to buy a tablet which won't be supported properly by the community due to commercial strategies.
Yea both of them have the lag problems but with the right sittings it can run very smoothly
......about the support issues I dont know which is better but overall samsung sucks at support
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmedmoataz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,150
Quote:
That's a bit strong. You'll see random millisecond stutters in transitions and in opening and closing apps. There's an indexing service that supports S Finder that periodically refreshes itself and can take a while on devices that have a lot of PDFs and/or handwritten notes. When there's not a lot going on in the background there's little or no lag. At least on my device.

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]