Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 44,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G and Three Uk to act as home broadband?

Tip us?
 
opencube
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Moto G and Three Uk to act as home broadband?

My sister's family live in the countryside and ADSL there is extremely slow (0.5Mb.)

I tested my 3G speed there with my Nexus 5 and managed to get a speed of 7.5Mb, and thought that they may be able to use a cheap android phone in conjunction with a Moto G to act as a wireless hotspot for the home.

I know Three's One Plan allows tethering through a phone, but not through a 3G router, or MiFi.

Was wondering wether if it would be better to have a router connect to the Moto G's hotspot, and then for devices to connect to the router as it may send out a better wifi signal around the home?

Would be interested in other's thoughts.

Thanks
 
Atomix86
Old
#2  
Atomix86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 261
Posts: 1,133
Join Date: Jul 2011
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

Sent from my Google Nexus G -
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - JACKYAWAY NF4.5

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S
The Following User Says Thank You to Atomix86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
opencube
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 36
Join Date: Jan 2010
Hi, thank for your reply.

Was performance really that bad.

As I say, their current connection is dreadful so surely could only be better?

Also whats stopping using a router/wireless bridge connect with the Moto G as the hotspot, then the router/wirelessbridge being the point all devices connect to?

Im just interested in why... not being funny with you
 
Atomix86
Old
#4  
Atomix86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 261
Posts: 1,133
Join Date: Jul 2011
Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't even check this thread (yup I'm a moron lol). I've never tried the method of using a bridge so I can't comment, as for the performance, it will certainly be better for a single person using it (or even a few if it's simple browsing/Facebook games/low res 360p YouTube etc), but if anyone tries HD streaming, or online gaming, or downloading a file, they will get a so-so experience and anyone else won't get a look in.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - JACKYAWAY NF4.5

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S
 
liveroy
Old
#5  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 192
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stara Zagora

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix86 View Post
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

Sent from my Google Nexus G -
It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.
 
Atomix86
Old
#6  
Atomix86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 261
Posts: 1,133
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy View Post
It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.
Perhaps, but that won't increase the speed for anyone, just adds another link to the chain.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - JACKYAWAY NF4.5

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S
 
liveroy
Old
#7  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 192
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stara Zagora

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix86 View Post
Perhaps, but that won't increase the speed for anyone, just adds another link to the chain.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
Well, we ain't taking about speed boost here, it's about providing the entire house with a little bit better internet than they currently have.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.
 
dj_crash1981
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 213
Join Date: May 2011
I tether all the time on three I get fast speed between 12 am & 3pm then speed drops because I have high usage last month I used 100gig

Sent from my MotoG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Atomix86
Old
#9  
Atomix86's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 261
Posts: 1,133
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy View Post
Well, we ain't taking about speed boost here, it's about providing the entire house with a little bit better internet than they currently have.
You've missed the point of my post. Whether all the devices in the house connect directly to the phone, or through a bridged router, nothing will change at all. It is simply adding an unnecessary link to the chain.
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - JACKYAWAY NF4.5

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S
 
liveroy
Old
#10  
liveroy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 192
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Stara Zagora

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix86 View Post
You've missed the point of my post. Whether all the devices in the house connect directly to the phone, or through a bridged router, nothing will change at all. It is simply adding an unnecessary link to the chain.
Dunno what I`ve missed, but you seems to have missed the point of the whole thread .....
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Blast Those Flags with Knock the Flags

Lately, we have seen a rather drastic shift in the world of mobile device gaming. The infamous Angry … more

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more