Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 44,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G and Three Uk to act as home broadband?

Tip us?

opencube
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Moto G and Three Uk to act as home broadband?

My sister's family live in the countryside and ADSL there is extremely slow (0.5Mb.)

I tested my 3G speed there with my Nexus 5 and managed to get a speed of 7.5Mb, and thought that they may be able to use a cheap android phone in conjunction with a Moto G to act as a wireless hotspot for the home.

I know Three's One Plan allows tethering through a phone, but not through a 3G router, or MiFi.

Was wondering wether if it would be better to have a router connect to the Moto G's hotspot, and then for devices to connect to the router as it may send out a better wifi signal around the home?

Would be interested in other's thoughts.

Thanks

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

Sent from my Google Nexus G -
Daily Driver
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - JACKYAWAY NF4.5

Other Phones
BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Wildfire S
The Following User Says Thank You to Atomix86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

opencube
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Hi, thank for your reply.

Was performance really that bad.

As I say, their current connection is dreadful so surely could only be better?

Also whats stopping using a router/wireless bridge connect with the Moto G as the hotspot, then the router/wirelessbridge being the point all devices connect to?

Im just interested in why... not being funny with you

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't even check this thread (yup I'm a moron lol). I've never tried the method of using a bridge so I can't comment, as for the performance, it will certainly be better for a single person using it (or even a few if it's simple browsing/Facebook games/low res 360p YouTube etc), but if anyone tries HD streaming, or online gaming, or downloading a file, they will get a so-so experience and anyone else won't get a look in.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app
Daily Driver

Other Phones

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomix86 View Post
Doesn't work like that, the devices need to connect directly to the phone. I did this myself for over a year with a note 2 and it was dire, if one person is doing something even remotely demanding, you can forget about anyone else getting any pages loaded.

Sent from my Google Nexus G -
It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy View Post
It should be fine with a router connected to the Moto G's hotspot as a client and eveything else in the house will connect to the router, will get ofcourse better coverage at the house and you can place the Moto G somewhere where it will pick best signal from the mobile network.
Perhaps, but that won't increase the speed for anyone, just adds another link to the chain.

Daily Driver

Other Phones

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Perhaps, but that won't increase the speed for anyone, just adds another link to the chain.

Well, we ain't taking about speed boost here, it's about providing the entire house with a little bit better internet than they currently have.

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.

dj_crash1981
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I tether all the time on three I get fast speed between 12 am & 3pm then speed drops because I have high usage last month I used 100gig

Sent from my MotoG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Atomix86
Old
Thanks Meter 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveroy View Post
Well, we ain't taking about speed boost here, it's about providing the entire house with a little bit better internet than they currently have.
You've missed the point of my post. Whether all the devices in the house connect directly to the phone, or through a bridged router, nothing will change at all. It is simply adding an unnecessary link to the chain.
Daily Driver

Other Phones

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You've missed the point of my post. Whether all the devices in the house connect directly to the phone, or through a bridged router, nothing will change at all. It is simply adding an unnecessary link to the chain.
Dunno what I`ve missed, but you seems to have missed the point of the whole thread .....