Samsung Galaxy S4 also Receives Android Lollipop Port

Once upon a time, when the original Samsung Galaxy S was just a dream for most XDA … more

How to Control Both Moto G and Moto E LEDs

Notification LEDs offer a great way to check for notification at a glance on the Moto G (2013) and … more

LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] avoid dust to apply the screen protector ?

OP babak

11th March 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #1  
babak's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag italy
Thanks Meter: 30
 
757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2005
Hi guys !!
In a couple of days I get the protective film, but my fear is dust, how can I avoid absolutely the dust?
11th March 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
137 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Take the phone out of a case (if you have one).
Go into ur bathroom.
Close all windows. Door. Don't run the vent fan if you have one.
Turn the shower or bath on hot and let the room get very steamy.
Clean screen with a microfiber cloth. If you want to be very anal about it. Remove ur shirt. Wet ur hair. Also if it's long tie it back. (this helps eliminate dust or dry skin from falling on the screen while you bend over it. )
The steamy air from the hot water will eliminate any dust floating in the air.
Next step after the screen is clean is to look from all angles to spot any specs. Also clear scotch tape can be used to pick dust off.
Then just apply the protector.

This is how I've always done it on all my phones. Sounds extreme but it all makes sense. I usually combine this is with a shower... Lol

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

This just came to me. Another method might be mounting the hose end of a vaccum over the area and keep it running during the cleaning and applying. This is what some people do while cleaning the sensor on DSLR cameras.
The Following User Says Thank You to NascarFastcar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2014, 06:20 AM   |  #3  
justimagination's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarFastcar

Take the phone out of a case (if you have one).
Go into ur bathroom.
Close all windows. Door. Don't run the vent fan if you have one.
Turn the shower or bath on hot and let the room get very steamy.
Clean screen with a microfiber cloth. If you want to be very anal about it. Remove ur shirt. Wet ur hair. Also if it's long tie it back. (this helps eliminate dust or dry skin from falling on the screen while you bend over it. )
The steamy air from the hot water will eliminate any dust floating in the air.
Next step after the screen is clean is to look from all angles to spot any specs. Also clear scotch tape can be used to pick dust off.
Then just apply the protector.

This is how I've always done it on all my phones. Sounds extreme but it all makes sense. I usually combine this is with a shower... Lol

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

This just came to me. Another method might be mounting the hose end of a vaccum over the area and keep it running during the cleaning and applying. This is what some people do while cleaning the sensor on DSLR cameras.

LOL. Why didn't I think of this?!!!!!


Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
11th March 2014, 08:50 AM   |  #4  
stanglifemike's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag outside of ATL, GA
Thanks Meter: 439
 
2,978 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
More
What he said about getting the bathroom steamy is exactly correct!! I've been using that method for a couple of years now and my installs turn it flawless! I also recommend using the hinge method as well, just to assure that you get it on 100% perfectly (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my electronics and cars! lol). If you're unsure of the hinge method, you should be able to find some videos on YouTube. Basically you just align the screen protector (without removing the back), then apply some tape to one side. Then the tape will act as the "hinge", and the screen protector will act as the door. I recently started using this method along with the steamy shower. These two methods combined allow for a fool-proof perfect install! As long as the screen protector you're applying is nice and you do the install correctly, people won't even know that you have installed unless they're just really looking for one! Good luck with it all, I hope it all goes well. If you have any questions before or during, please feel free to ask

SwiftKey'ed from my White Sprint Note 3 via XDA Premium
11th March 2014, 02:06 PM   |  #5  
babak's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag italy
Thanks Meter: 30
 
757 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2005
thanks guys but unfortunately I have a very large bathroom and I knew this method but it does not work for me, I'll try the method to align hinge meanwhile, is very interesting but unfortunately I still have the dust problem
11th March 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak

thanks guys but unfortunately I have a very large bathroom and I knew this method but it does not work for me, I'll try the method to align hinge meanwhile, is very interesting but unfortunately I still have the dust problem

I use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the screen, Never have any problems when I do that, I've done it with multiple devices and never had any dust sticking under the screen. Only thing is you basically have to keep pushing the stuff out from underneath it for about 10mins.

I'm sure someones going to say I'm damaging the screen now but I've done it with about 4 phones and 2 tablets with no problems whatsoever
11th March 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 120
 
549 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashpants

I use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the screen, Never have any problems when I do that, I've done it with multiple devices and never had any dust sticking under the screen. Only thing is you basically have to keep pushing the stuff out from underneath it for about 10mins.

I'm sure someones going to say I'm damaging the screen now but I've done it with about 4 phones and 2 tablets with no problems whatsoever

NEVER, EVER use any type of Alcohol! It removes/destroys the oleophobic coating on the glass. That's what keeps the fingerprints from appearing and once it starts breaking down, it looks not like a scratched screen but more like a scuffed area. You can buff the area a little and it goes away but you fingers make that scuffed area return.
Last edited by Eric214; 11th March 2014 at 03:54 PM.
12th March 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Sitting naked in steamy bathroom applying screen protector. Sounds like a weekend plan for me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes