Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 45,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] avoid dust to apply the screen protector ?

Tip us?

babak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [Q] avoid dust to apply the screen protector ?

Hi guys !!
In a couple of days I get the protective film, but my fear is dust, how can I avoid absolutely the dust?
Galaxy note 3

optimus 3d

touch pro2

qtek 9000
ROM: Laurentius26_UNI_RV4
Bootloader: 1.01 (G3)
radio 1.15

NascarFastcar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Take the phone out of a case (if you have one).
Go into ur bathroom.
Close all windows. Door. Don't run the vent fan if you have one.
Turn the shower or bath on hot and let the room get very steamy.
Clean screen with a microfiber cloth. If you want to be very anal about it. Remove ur shirt. Wet ur hair. Also if it's long tie it back. (this helps eliminate dust or dry skin from falling on the screen while you bend over it. )
The steamy air from the hot water will eliminate any dust floating in the air.
Next step after the screen is clean is to look from all angles to spot any specs. Also clear scotch tape can be used to pick dust off.
Then just apply the protector.

This is how I've always done it on all my phones. Sounds extreme but it all makes sense. I usually combine this is with a shower... Lol

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

This just came to me. Another method might be mounting the hose end of a vaccum over the area and keep it running during the cleaning and applying. This is what some people do while cleaning the sensor on DSLR cameras.
The Following User Says Thank You to NascarFastcar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

justimagination
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarFastcar View Post
Take the phone out of a case (if you have one).
Go into ur bathroom.
Close all windows. Door. Don't run the vent fan if you have one.
Turn the shower or bath on hot and let the room get very steamy.
Clean screen with a microfiber cloth. If you want to be very anal about it. Remove ur shirt. Wet ur hair. Also if it's long tie it back. (this helps eliminate dust or dry skin from falling on the screen while you bend over it. )
The steamy air from the hot water will eliminate any dust floating in the air.
Next step after the screen is clean is to look from all angles to spot any specs. Also clear scotch tape can be used to pick dust off.
Then just apply the protector.

This is how I've always done it on all my phones. Sounds extreme but it all makes sense. I usually combine this is with a shower... Lol

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

This just came to me. Another method might be mounting the hose end of a vaccum over the area and keep it running during the cleaning and applying. This is what some people do while cleaning the sensor on DSLR cameras.
LOL. Why didn't I think of this?!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

stanglifemike
Old
Thanks Meter 422
What he said about getting the bathroom steamy is exactly correct!! I've been using that method for a couple of years now and my installs turn it flawless! I also recommend using the hinge method as well, just to assure that you get it on 100% perfectly (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my electronics and cars! lol). If you're unsure of the hinge method, you should be able to find some videos on YouTube. Basically you just align the screen protector (without removing the back), then apply some tape to one side. Then the tape will act as the "hinge", and the screen protector will act as the door. I recently started using this method along with the steamy shower. These two methods combined allow for a fool-proof perfect install! As long as the screen protector you're applying is nice and you do the install correctly, people won't even know that you have installed unless they're just really looking for one! Good luck with it all, I hope it all goes well. If you have any questions before or during, please feel free to ask

SwiftKey'ed from my White Sprint Note 3 via XDA Premium
Main Phone: White Samsung Note 3 + 64GB card
Other Phone: White HTC Evo 4G LTE
Main Tablet: Asus Infinity 32GB Internal + 64GB card
Main Tablet: 2013 Nexus 7 32GB

98 GT: Lots of bolt-ons, suspension, exhaust.
06 GT: Vortech supercharger 10 lbs boost, full suspension, exhaust, too much to list here
Both purchased new and all mods done by me

babak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
thanks guys but unfortunately I have a very large bathroom and I knew this method but it does not work for me, I'll try the method to align hinge meanwhile, is very interesting but unfortunately I still have the dust problem
Galaxy note 3

optimus 3d

touch pro2

qtek 9000
ROM: Laurentius26_UNI_RV4
Bootloader: 1.01 (G3)
radio 1.15

trashpants
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak View Post
thanks guys but unfortunately I have a very large bathroom and I knew this method but it does not work for me, I'll try the method to align hinge meanwhile, is very interesting but unfortunately I still have the dust problem
I use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the screen, Never have any problems when I do that, I've done it with multiple devices and never had any dust sticking under the screen. Only thing is you basically have to keep pushing the stuff out from underneath it for about 10mins.

I'm sure someones going to say I'm damaging the screen now but I've done it with about 4 phones and 2 tablets with no problems whatsoever

Eric214
Old
(Last edited by Eric214; 11th March 2014 at 02:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashpants View Post
I use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the screen, Never have any problems when I do that, I've done it with multiple devices and never had any dust sticking under the screen. Only thing is you basically have to keep pushing the stuff out from underneath it for about 10mins.

I'm sure someones going to say I'm damaging the screen now but I've done it with about 4 phones and 2 tablets with no problems whatsoever
NEVER, EVER use any type of Alcohol! It removes/destroys the oleophobic coating on the glass. That's what keeps the fingerprints from appearing and once it starts breaking down, it looks not like a scratched screen but more like a scuffed area. You can buff the area a little and it goes away but you fingers make that scuffed area return.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

wandro3d
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Sitting naked in steamy bathroom applying screen protector. Sounds like a weekend plan for me.