Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 42,598 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [App][2.3+] thesaurus word map - is my app really that bad it gets < 30 downloads

Tip us?

over_optimistic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] [App][2.3+] thesaurus word map - is my app really that bad it gets < 30 downloads

Heres the link https:// play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valeonom.wordmap

I'm working on a cool way to do a dictionary in the app along with it being a thesaurus in it's current design. But with less than 30 downloads I feel like I want to do something else. When I first thought of the idea I thought of how cool it was all the way to finishing the app. And still think it's cool. Is the app bad? or is there something else that I'm missing for the so low downloads? Or maybe I just have too high of expectations?

Thank you

dentedent
Old
(Last edited by dentedent; 25th February 2014 at 02:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_optimistic View Post
Heres the link https:// play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valeonom.wordmap

I'm working on a cool way to do a dictionary in the app along with it being a thesaurus in it's current design. But with less than 30 downloads I feel like I want to do something else. When I first thought of the idea I thought of how cool it was all the way to finishing the app. And still think it's cool. Is the app bad? or is there something else that I'm missing for the so low downloads? Or maybe I just have too high of expectations?

Thank you
So apparently since this post 2 days ago you've grown to over 1000 downloads! Any tips on where you've been advertising?

Edit: Your app description looks a little short on words so it probably doesn't perform amazingly in the search results. Buffing out your description with keywords while avoiding looking too obvious will probably help boost your download count considerably.

over_optimistic
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedent View Post
So apparently since this post 2 days ago you've grown to over 1000 downloads! Any tips on where you've been advertising?

Edit: Your app description looks a little short on words so it probably doesn't perform amazingly in the search results. Buffing out your description with keywords while avoiding looking too obvious will probably help boost your download count considerably.
My app isn't new, its been around for almost 1 year. It had accumulated all those downloads very slowly. And the description, I played around with all sorts of different descriptions for a few weeks. Even playing around with the name of the app. No matter what I set as the description, or title it had no effect on downloads. If you looked at the download stats, you wouldn't be able to tell when any of the changes have occurred. I tried having creative descriptions like poetry. No effect.

I tried blasting the description with keywords and that didn't do anything either. Interestingly crappy descriptions does not negatively effect my downloads. I'm curious what will happen if I give my app a crappy name will it negatively effect downloads? So far everything pretty much didn't effect downloads in any way (positive or negative).

I'm thinking what will happen if I rename my app to be called "A" and description "A". haha. Like I doubt there will be a negative effect. I've been reading alot on marketing, and really this app is my "marketing experiment" as to me it seams very good to experiment with, and it's not a bad app. All experiments I mentioned in this post I let it collect data for minimum 7 days before trying the next thing. The fact that all of this does not change downloads, even changing the icon to a nicer looking one had no effect, really boggles me. Even more stranger no negative effects from crappy descriptions.

Appiterate
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default What you just did is called A/B Testing

First of all Congratulations on getting 1000 downloads. But I guess the thread should be useful for others still struggling with getting good downloads.
So here's the thing, 'trying out crappy titles', playing around with different descriptions and other such experiments are actually good for understanding the best trend but it might have serious repercussions. What you need to do is try A/B Testing where you still get to try these weird changes but on a much smaller scale. Of course you can only do these changes inside the app, but trust me that works.

And as for the problem at hand, you lacking a good marketing plan, here's one for you..

1. Before app release
2. During app release
3. After app release