Ubuntu Touch [Discontinued]

Search This thread

ZakMcRofl

Feb 10, 2007
Thank you for taking your time to review Ubuntu Touch, but I think you are a bit too harsh. I know it has it's flaws, but for me it works quite well. This project is about porting Ubuntu Touch, not about making it an usable operating system (this is subjective), so I am more worried about if you report that WiFi is not working, or the touchscreen is not responsive, or if the audio is not working.
Things are constantly changing (I will push out a new update soon) and they might fix and break some things at the smae time. So I am really sorry that it crashes for you and you can't sign in to your Ubuntu One account, but this is to be expected. It's up to the guys at Ubuntu to fix all the issues and as I said, things change constantly, so tomorrow's build might be more stable.

About the alpha-beta issue: it's a beta because most things work (and by things I mean screen, adb, WiFi, sound, click apps - you can install and run them,not judging their quality)
Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never. I am sorry you took my comment the wrong way, your porting efforts are epic and I am glad that you are doing such a great job in it. So yes, I would agree that from a device driver perspective, the code is in beta quality.

However, and this is more about expectation handling, at least back then the entire project (not your code, Ubuntu Touch itself or in combination with your port) was very far away from being a usable operating system. That is perfectly fine and probably clear to those familiar with it, but as you can see by the many questions in this thread you may want to clarify that this is not for daily use.

It is as easy as noting under "Not working": "Ubuntu Touch itself is still under heavy development and I cannot list all the flaws it has here, since that is daily changing. Please be aware that applications may not work as expected but the scope of this project is only the porting, not the actual operating system".

Reactions: mamenyaka

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Sorry for the late reply, but better late than never. I am sorry you took my comment the wrong way, your porting efforts are epic and I am glad that you are doing such a great job in it. So yes, I would agree that from a device driver perspective, the code is in beta quality.

However, and this is more about expectation handling, at least back then the entire project (not your code, Ubuntu Touch itself or in combination with your port) was very far away from being a usable operating system. That is perfectly fine and probably clear to those familiar with it, but as you can see by the many questions in this thread you may want to clarify that this is not for daily use.

It is as easy as noting under "Not working": "Ubuntu Touch itself is still under heavy development and I cannot list all the flaws it has here, since that is daily changing. Please be aware that applications may not work as expected but the scope of this project is only the porting, not the actual operating system".

Thank you for your response. I will post that note under Not working, if you don't mind, I really like it.

hackint0sh

May 25, 2008
Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg
Hello,

Is this working for locked bootloader but rooted and with cwm? Just wondering,wasnt mentioned so totally clear in the beginning post.

Also, what about data? Does this work?

Would love to see this working on ma tab.. But dont really know if it will work on my tablet..

Trevor Chuah

Apr 9, 2012
Hello,

Is this working for locked bootloader but rooted and with cwm? Just wondering,wasnt mentioned so totally clear in the beginning post.

Also, what about data? Does this work?

Would love to see this working on ma tab.. But dont really know if it will work on my tablet..

It will not work in locked bootloader since it involve flashing the custom kernel.

For Data, I cannot answer you because I'm using pollux_windy only.

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Minor update to pollux_windy (mainly just a fresh build with latest ubuntu sources).
I won't be doing any more pollux releases, very few downloads. If anyone has a pollux and would like to take over the builds, just shout.
Still no 4.4.2 ...

Last edited:

Ry Chy®

Jan 2, 2012
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Can´t flash it on my Pollux!

Sad thing, I can not flash it on my pollux! I´ve done everything what was written in instructions. My device is rooted and has unlocked bootloader.

Any suggestions?

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Just a quick heads up: I am still alive and working on the new version.
Ubuntu Touch has changed a lot, they are now using utopic-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz as ubuntu image (notice, it's not .zip) and it can be flashed via rootstock software (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ogra/project-rootstock-ng/trunk/). The device image will be android AOSP 4.4.2 based.
Current status: tablet boots, black screen, adb working.

Until then you can still try the old stuff, just be sure to download http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-to...d/20131127/saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip as the ubuntu image.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    For pollux, pollux_windy

*** Disclamer
    This is an experimental port, MAKE A BACKUP of your files before you continue.
    I am not responsible if you brick your device, but I will try to help you if things go wrong.

Introduction
    First of all, I would like to thank XDA for the amazing Tablet Z Competition and the XDA Tablet Z contest judges for choosing my project proposal.

What is Ubuntu Touch?

Our device on the ubuntu wiki: pollux
    Our device on GitHub

Video

Images
    DSC01933_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01934_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

DSC01936_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Installation instructions
    • In fastboot mode, flash boot.img - contains kernel and recovery
      Code:
      $ fastboot flash boot boot.img
      $ fastboot reboot
    • In recovery mode, flash the device image and the ubuntu image with rootstock-ng
      Code:
      $ bzr branch lp:project-rootstock-ng
      $ project-rootstock-ng/rootstock-touch-install 14.09-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz system.img

Download

Changelog
    Working:
    Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]adb
    [*]Display
    [*]Touchscreen
    [*]WiFi
    [*]Sound
    [*]Video
    [*]Apps
    [/LIST]

Not working:

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]Rotation
    [*]Camera
    [/LIST]

NOTE: Ubuntu Touch itself is still under heavy development and I cannot list all the flaws it has, since that is daily changing.
    Please be aware that applications may not work as expected but the scope of this project is only the porting, not the actual operating system!

FAQ
    * How to go back to stock?
    Reboot into recovery. Wipe data/factory reset. Restore your backup. Reboot into flashmode and flash (with FlashTool) the kernel (kernel.sin only) from your .tft file (without wiping anything). Reboot.

* Installation stuck on "unpacking rootfs tarball to system-image ..."
    Free up some space on the device.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Ubuntu Touch, ROM for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Contributors
    mamenyaka, ciderwein, diwic, jdstrand, jjohansen, ogra, w-flo
    Source Code: https://github.com/mamenyaka?tab=repositories

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod, AOSP

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 5
    Beta Release Date: 2014-09-24

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2016-02-10
    Guys!
    I just want to let you know, that even though we got a competition under way which is coming to an end, I will NOT stop development for this project!
    Ubuntu Touch has just yet started! I am hoping that the flipped image marks the start of what this concept truly wants to be:
    Smartphone and desktop PC in one device

If you would like to show your support for this project, just head over to Xperia Tablet Z General section, where you can find details on how to vote.
    Thank you!
    So, Xperia Tablet Z WiFi is now official?

No, but this means that they are not abandoning the ports entirely, so I hope I can build a new version soon.
    WiFi fixed, fully working!
    Uploading... Done.
    Guys! I just made a quick video, check it out!