[GUIDE] [XOOM2/XYBoard]: How to update Xyboard wifi (MZ607) to Jelly Bean (4.1.2)

Search This thread

umpalumpadump

Jan 30, 2014
Need help with step 6

So I followed all the steps until step 6, and when I tried rebooting my device, it wouldn't even turn on. It wouldn't go into fastboot, it won't even charge. Do I have a bricked device on my hands? Or is there a way I can get out of this mess?

Pimpon60

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you Otalgia for this update,
Would have kept silent about the procedure in French?
Thank you in advance.

Successful installation..
REMOVED from the version 4.1.2
Thank you for the work

Last edited:

hudfer

Jun 25, 2012
Brasilia
Oh my God! I`m got a new tablet! THANKS, THANKS, THANKS AND THANKS!!!! That`s work fine. Installed on Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition (MZ607 WIFI)

I`m not understand motorola, launch 4.1.2 in other country but in brazil give alone. This firmware is a real upgrade in performance!

Ps.: In the first boot, stuck on "activating the tablet" and wait a lot of time, thats normal. Wait and after update, no need insert google account. Look in the corner and one icon appear, the operator logo.

ok, I did it. No problems in the process... but seems the "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer..." annoyance will stay forever, right? Didn't had time to look deeper in to it, but if I find something very strange, I'll share with you guys. Thanks.

hudfer

Jun 25, 2012
Brasilia
ok, I did it. No problems in the process... but seems the "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer..." annoyance will stay forever, right? Didn't had time to look deeper in to it, but if I find something very strange, I'll share with you guys. Thanks.

I'm using the tablet perfectly, no bugs at moment. One detail strange is operator signal apears at side of clock.

agentissmith

Jul 29, 2012
Can you guys help me, please? I flashed the JB on a xoom2 MZ616 and didnt like it because 3G was gone; my tablet is brazilian. Since then I have been trying to roll ROM back to any backward version, but I get below error. What can be done to fix it?

----------------------------------------------
C:\Users\ASDRF\Desktop\Xoom2\1.6.0M-272.18_MZ616_p2HW_BlurRegion01_CFC1FF_fastboot_signed_latam.xml>fastboot flash boot boot_signed
sending 'boot' (8192 KB)... OKAY [ 0.859s]
writing 'boot'... INFOPreflash validation failure
FAILED (remote: )

The other flashed files go with success, but only boot_signed doesnt go smooth.

Thank you

Last edited:
I'm using the MZ607 with the original (not rooted) 4.0.4 rom and by browsing there are always weird lags... But I'm using this tablet since early 2013 and I have lots of personal files which I need to backup before update.. Before start doing it, I would like to ask to the people who did it already if have you feel any improvement in the OS performance? any bugs detected?

For the most part I would say it gives a better user experience, based upon the last 24 hours of use.

Bugs

The dock application has got even worse. I wasn't too bothered when they ditched the linux mode with the ICS update but a lot of people were. I still found it very usable, if a little slow as the tablet was working overtime to send output to two HD screens (it's own and the TV). On this latest JB ROM the dock is pretty much unusable. It doesn't rotate the screen to landscape automatically (Moto docks hold the tablet portrait, the rotation was previously performed electronically for you) so you're only using about 1/2 of the screen. Tipping the whole thing over rotates the screen as expected but chops off the top of the screen (it used to chop off the bottom intentionally) making most apps unusable. If you used your tablet to rent films like I did that's now a no-go.

The speaker orientation still isn't fixed.

There's a GSM signal indicator constantly on the notification bar showing no signal as the ROM comes from a 3G tablet.

Google Now is much, much slower to load than the old Google Search.

It doesn't appear to like the Google Experience launcher which might have fixed above. Just force closes if you install it.

Pros

The wifi indicator seems to be a bit more honest now and connection is said to be more stable.

Project butter has made the UI more polished. Everything transitions so much more fluidly.

For the most part the tablet seems less laggy. Still not perfect but I'd say better. The time taken to rotate from portrait to landscape is vastly reduced. Returning to the launcher is faster and opening every app except Google Now (mentioned above) seems faster.

Chrome seems to work faster and more consistently - maybe it needed some APIs from JB to work right?

Browser seems more consistent and is still there, many JB devices lost the stock browser in favour of Chrome which I find more resource intensive.

If I discover anything else I'll post up again. Overall I'm happy I did the update.

Reactions: chico-rs

phanzer

Feb 18, 2014
I have an rooted Xoom 2 ME MZ607 with ICS 4.0.4 (Brazilian version), that I have updated with one process that I saw on the internet. The update will work fine, anyone could reply this for me? Thanks :)

agentissmith

Jul 29, 2012
Can you guys help me, please? I flashed the JB on a xoom2 MZ616 and didnt like it because 3G was gone; my tablet is brazilian. Since then I have been trying to roll ROM back to any backward version, but I get below error. What can be done to fix it?

C:\Users\ASDRF\Desktop\Xoom2\1.6.0M-272.18_MZ616_p2HW_BlurRegion01_CFC1FF_fastboot_sig ned_latam.xml>fastboot flash boot boot_signed
sending 'boot' (8192 KB)... OKAY [ 0.859s]
writing 'boot'... INFOPreflash validation failure
FAILED (remote: )

The other flashed files go with success, but only boot_signed doesnt go smooth.

Thank you

shingers5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
hi guys just some clarification................... do i copy the contents of the mz608 folder into the fastboot folder or do i just place the extracted folder and place in the fastboot folder? sorry for noobish question just want to be sure before i start is all

thanks again

Otalgia

Jul 6, 2012
Paris
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
hi guys just some clarification................... do i copy the contents of the mz608 folder into the fastboot folder or do i just place the extracted folder and place in the fastboot folder? sorry for noobish question just want to be sure before i start is all

thanks again

You have to extract them into the same folder. All files must be inside, no folders just files :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: shingers5

ArielMX

Jan 7, 2012
I have an rooted Xoom 2 ME MZ607 with ICS 4.0.4 (Brazilian version), that I have updated with one process that I saw on the internet. The update will work fine, anyone could reply this for me? Thanks :)

I didn't make the update myself but the Xoom 2 ME unnoficial blog have a lot of brazilians feedbacks on suceceful instalation and the tutorial translated.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

Before everything, I need to thank DHD who did the original guide and mtvdeo who give us huge help to the mz607/608 (XOOM 2 8'2 MEDIA EDITION) owners.

Now you need to know :
    1. I'm not an Android developper, me, DHD or mtvdeo are not responsible if you brick your device.
    2. You have to follow this guide, it's the way I do and I have JB on my Xoom 2 mz607 by now.
    3. After the JB update, your tablet will boot differently with an error message.
    4. Don't try to downgrade to 4.0.4 after, you'll brick your device.
    5. My english is so-so, please tell me if there is something that you don't understand.

First, you need to have a rooted ICS 4.0.4 version. Here is the guide to root : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502589
    I assume that you have all the drivers for your tab.

You have to download 3 things :
    FASTBOOT mz609 > Link 1 | Link 2 - Thx to mtvdeo & xxbenchimol
    Tools > https://www83.zippyshare.com/v/8p5kGOM8/file.html - MD5: 7758D3B9FE70102094ED494687B555B2
    Device_tree.bin > https://www83.zippyshare.com/v/3CfzvTrB/file.html | https://gofile.io/d/iD9njX - MD5 : 91D188C57297C8BA6C1EFBF01DFD2809

So we can begin now !!!

1) EXTRACT FILES DOWNLOADED
    Extract the VRZ_7.7.1-85_MZ609-31_1FF.xml.zip & the MZ607-XOOM2.zip on the same folder.
    1-430559a.jpg
    samefolder-4305aa3.png

/!\ Replace the included device_tree.bin by the one you downloaded

2) INSTALLING APK
    Copy/paste the Terminal Emulator.apk on your tab and install it like a normal apk.
    2-43055a7.jpg

3) BACK UP YOUR CID
    Open Terminal Emulator on your tab
    Write :
    su
    Your superSU app will ask to give root, select Yes.
    cd /dev/block
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p15 of=/sdcard/cid.img
    exit
    exit

Copy the cid.img on your computer to have a back up.

4) CHANGING CID WITH A BLANK ONE
    Now take the "fake_cid" file you got with the .zip you downloaded and extracted
    3-4305613.jpg

Copy it at the root of the tablet disk /sdcard (click here for a big screenshot if needed)
    Now open Terminal Emulator on your tab
    Write :
    su
    cat /sdcard/fake_cid > /dev/block/mmcblk1p15
    exit
    exit

5) GO INTO FASTBOOT MODE
    Shutdown your tab.
    Press and keep "-" volume key => press Power key => release 2 keys => your tab will boot in fastboot mode.

Now open a command shell on the folder where you have extracted the 2 .zip before (just press Shift on your computer keyboard & right click with your mouse)
    openshellwin-4305ba3.jpg

Please verify that the path written on the shell is the good path :
    shell-4305b3f.jpg

Write in it with your computer keyboard :
    moto-fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    moto-fastboot flash devtree device_tree.bin
    moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img
    moto-fastboot flash system system.img
    moto-fastboot flash logo.bin logo.bin
    moto-fastboot flash cdrom cdrom
    moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    moto-fastboot -w
    moto-fastboot reboot

6) FIRST BOOT
    Your tablet will reboot and stuck at boot screen with warning "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer...".
    Press "+" volume key, "-" volume key and "power key" simultaneously.
    The screen will goes black. Press the 3 of them another time until you boot on a hidden boot mode menu.
    bptools-4305c05.png

By pressing "-" volume key, you have to go down to "BP Tools" and press "+" volume key to select it.
    The tab will boot, you are on the Verizon ICS 4.0.4 for mz609.
    404609-4305c41.jpg

7) HOW TO DOWNLOAD 4.1.2 OTA
    Configure your tablet like a new (Google account, localization, wifi...) until you can use it like before.
    Go to Settings, About Tablet, System Update and... BING ! The OTA is here !
    Download it, when it's 100% the tablet will reboot. Let it do the work, it takes several minutes : first you will think that the tab is stuck on the "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer..." but after 1 minute, the recovery will install the OTA file automatically.
    After the update, the tablet will reboot. And voila, you are on Jelly Bean 4.1.2

8) ROOT YOUR NEWLY JB 4.1.2
    Now you can root your tab with Kingo Android Root, follow the instructions in this post.
    root412-4363194.jpg

You can test your root permissions with Adaway (ads blocker) or Root Browser for example.

----------
    Remember to thanks another time DHD who did the original guide and mtvdeo who greatly helped us to adapt it for the mz607/608 owners. And don't forget to thanks xda developers when they give you joy :D
    Hi

Before everything, I need to thank DHD who did the original guide and mtvdeo who give us huge help to the mz607/608 (XOOM 2 8'2 MEDIA EDITION) owners.

Now you need to know :
    1. I'm not an Android developper, me, DHD or mtvdeo are not responsible if you brick your device.
    2. You have to follow this guide, it's the way I do and I have JB on my Xoom 2 mz607 by now.
    3. After the JB update, your tablet will boot differently with an error message.
    4. My english is so-so, please tell me if there is something that you don't understand.

First, you need to have a rooted ICS 4.0.4 version. Here is the guide to root : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502589
    I assume that you have all the drivers for your tab.

You have to download 3 things :
    FASTBOOT mz609 > https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=8KM4A4r/ernvVXsZ/avAdgxhaLOQqL4vnF25/8EaB/8= - Thx to mtvdeo
    Tools > Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 - MD5: 7758D3B9FE70102094ED494687B555B2
    Device_tree.bin > Link | Alternative Link | Alternative Link - MD5 : 91D188C57297C8BA6C1EFBF01DFD2809

So we can begin now !!!

1) EXTRACT FILES DOWNLOADED
    Extract the VRZ_7.7.1-85_MZ609-31_1FF.xml.zip & the MZ607-XOOM2.zip on the same folder.
    1-430559a.jpg
    samefolder-4305aa3.png

/!\ Replace the included device_tree.bin by the one you downloaded

2) INSTALLING APK
    Copy/paste the Terminal Emulator.apk on your tab and install it like a normal apk.
    2-43055a7.jpg

3) BACK UP YOUR CID
    Open Terminal Emulator on your tab
    Write :
    su
    Your superSU app will ask to give root, select Yes.
    cd /dev/block
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1p15 of=/sdcard/cid.img
    exit
    exit

Copy the cid.img on your computer to have a back up.

4) CHANGING CID WITH A BLANK ONE
    Now take the "fake_cid" file you got with the .zip you downloaded and extracted
    3-4305613.jpg

Copy it at the root of the tablet disk /sdcard (click here for a big screenshot if needed)
    Now open Terminal Emulator on your tab
    Write :
    su
    cat /sdcard/fake_cid > /dev/block/mmcblk1p15
    exit
    exit

5) GO INTO FASTBOOT MODE
    Shutdown your tab.
    Press and keep "-" volume key => press Power key => release 2 keys => your tab will boot in fastboot mode.

Now open a command shell on the folder where you have extracted the 2 .zip before (just press Shift on your computer keyboard & right click with your mouse)
    openshellwin-4305ba3.jpg

Please verify that the path written on the shell is the good path :
    shell-4305b3f.jpg

Write in it with your computer keyboard :
    moto-fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
    moto-fastboot flash devtree device_tree.bin
    moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img
    moto-fastboot flash system system.img
    moto-fastboot flash logo.bin logo.bin
    moto-fastboot flash cdrom cdrom
    moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    moto-fastboot -w
    moto-fastboot reboot

6) FIRST BOOT
    Your tablet will reboot and stuck at boot screen with warning "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer...".
    Press "+" volume key, "-" volume key and "power key" simultaneously.
    The screen will goes black. Press the 3 of them another time until you boot on a hidden boot mode menu.
    bptools-4305c05.png

By pressing "-" volume key, you have to go down to "BP Tools" and press "+" volume key to select it.
    The tab will boot, you are on the Verizon ICS 4.0.4 for mz609.
    404609-4305c41.jpg

7) HOW TO DOWNLOAD 4.1.2 OTA
    Configure your tablet like a new (Google account, localization, wifi...) until you can use it like before.
    Go to Settings, About Tablet, System Update and... BING ! The OTA is here !
    Download it, when it's 100% the tablet will reboot. Let it do the work, it takes several minutes : first you will think that the tab is stuck on the "CustomerID error, Contact Dealer..." but after 1 minute, the recovery will install the OTA file automatically.
    After the update, the tablet will reboot. And voila, you are on Jelly Bean 4.1.2

Remember to thanks another time DHD who did the original guide and mtvdeo who greatly helped us to adapt it for the mz607/608 owners. And don't forget to thanks xda developers when they give you joy :D

I've made upload of fastboot on MEGA, if you want add on tutorial
    https://mega.co.nz/#!kQBBTL6a!ZW2vcg0idTsI2DR8qrE1WG2w3B4_4ti8ebT7GZzqldk
    and thank you again, is working everything on my mz608
    Xoom2 ME - CID restore

First of all - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DEVICE. DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED!
    Second - be sure you have all drivers (Motorola, ADB, etc.).

If someone has stupid idea to replace fake CID back to oryginal CID, like I have had - DON'T!

Ok, there is no more "customer ID error" on start, but in my case I have got an error on cdrom partition and my device was bricked:

Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot failure)
    0A.74 (sha-db24cb6, 2012-04-25 10:52:50)
    eMMC Info: Size 16G

Device is LOCKED. Status code 0

Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom): Invalid SP data
    Invalid CG HAB (CG: cdrom, status: 0X0056)
    Invalid CG OTV (CG: cdrom

I tried re-replace CID again to fakeCID, but it stated something like Preflash validation failure. No such partition.
    Grrrr...

The main problem was find proper files compatible with my device - Xoom2 ME (geniune MZ608, but after update to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean shows MZ609).
    I have download a lot of stuff and attempt many files and finally found!:D

Here is a solution for Xoom2 ME (MZ608/MZ609 4.1.2):

Download Xoom2 ME.rar
    Unpack it and use fastboot:

fastboot flash mbm allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    fastboot flash cid cid.img

If flashing ok, follow OlegOdessa method, but not from beginning!
    Start from here:

3. reset PAD (volume + and - and Power)
    4. go to stock recovery
    5. this is recovery with sideload
    select - apply update from ADB
    6. Windows PC

code to flash update:

cmd
    cd c:\Android
    adb devices
    adb sideload c:\Android\Blur_Version.12.11.31.MZ609.Verizon.en. US.zip

process 10-15 min
    after command`s will begin file upload to PAD
    cheking files
    chekin system befor update
    patching and flashing

after flash - restart system and all OK

If you want root your Xoom2, I recommend Saferoot - simple and good method, and works perfect. :D

Keep on mind, that it be stuck on "Trying to disable Knox" for about 5 minutes and be patient - everything should be allright! :eek:

Regards,
    Krystian
    Stuck boot solution

First sorry for my english, I'm using google translator.
    julioemanoeld if your tablet is still locked in the boot, you can follow these steps to unlock (worked on my MZ608):
    1. Turn off the device if it is turned on;
    2. Press "+" volume key, "-" volume key and "power key" simultaneously.
    3. The screen will goes black. Press the 3 of Them another until time you boot on a hidden boot mode menu.
    4. By pressing "-" volume key, you have to go down to "Recovery" and press "+" volume key to select it.
    5. The device will restart, and after a few minutes the device Should boot to a screen showing an Android with a red triangle, press and hold the Volume Up and Power Button on this screen
    6. Press volume down to highlight "wipe cache" option
    7. Press "Power" to confirm
    8. Restart the system

att Paul
    I did everything, but when i come into the bp tools part, i selected it and it started booting, showing first "DROID" and now is showing that xyboard verizon logo, for about 15 minutes. Is it normal?

-

Please, help me. It's been over an hour, and then i pressed the 3 buttons simultaneously and got into that same customeid error page, then i get to the bp tools again and it's still booting. Why this is happening?