Post Reply

C.T.R.L.r Mobile Gamepad now available for pre-order with an April release date?

OP Domomojo

12th March 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Is the controller that came packaged with the MOJO updateable to support BT2.2 without using a dongle? Will the MOJO be sold without the controller (with appropriate discount)?
Last edited by Domomojo; 30th July 2014 at 12:07 AM.
12th March 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #2  
gwaldo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13
 
276 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More

http://store.madcatz.com/brands/mad-...C-and-Mac.html

How many of these can the MOJO support?
13th March 2014, 01:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo


http://store.madcatz.com/brands/mad-...C-and-Mac.html

How many of these can the MOJO support?

That's an excellent question as well! If the answer is one, is the limitation due to hardware or software? If software, who's working on the multiple controller support app?
13th March 2014, 01:16 AM   |  #4  
gwaldo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13
 
276 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domomojo

That's an excellent question as well! If the answer is one, is the limitation due to hardware or software? If software, who's working on the multiple controller support app?

One
Hahaha, I doubt it's one.. it would be at least 4,
I think the bottle neck would be the bluetooth HID interface, which I'm guessing is 8 to 16 devices.
13th March 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #5  
gwaldo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13
 
276 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
It has both BT classic and 4.
Quote:

Future-proof Via Dual-mode Bluetooth 4.0 Module

A first for gaming peripherals, this version C.T.R.L.R employs a premium dual-mode Bluetooth 4.0 chip to ensure power-efficient compatibility with current Bluetooth Classic devices. Courtesy of a USB to Micro-USB port, firmware updates will help ensure compatibility with upcoming Bluetooth Low Energy devices.

Apart from that and the red logo, are there any differences to MOJO's ctrlr?
Good to see the mapping app to!
15th March 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo

It has both BT classic and 4.

Apart from that and the red logo, are there any differences to MOJO's ctrlr?
Good to see the mapping app to!

The documentation I've been able to find leads me to believe that is the only difference. From a financial perspective, there certainly doesn't seem to be any cost advantage in maintaining two different SKU's (a stand-alone CTRLr and a different model packaged with MOJO). In fact, the opposite would logically be the case.
16th March 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #7  
gwaldo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Melb.
Thanks Meter: 13
 
276 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domomojo

The documentation I've been able to find leads me to believe that is the only difference. From a financial perspective, there certainly doesn't seem to be any cost advantage in maintaining two different SKU's (a stand-alone CTRLr and a different model packaged with MOJO). In fact, the opposite would logically be the case.

I imagine the bt combo chip would cost more then just bt4, in hardware maybe in licensing also...
BT2 is slow and less energy efficient so that's why it's not required on mojo.

But you could be right, it's only the first few batches, so I'm sure there's still some tweeks that could be made in production.
I was hoping they lowered the Dpad (PS style) and raised the mode switch from a grove to a grip tab thing.. oh well.

The price dropped from $79.99 to $59.99 which is a great price I think for the features and very competative.
Speaking of sku's, I wonder why they have the CTRLi and not added iOS support to the retail CTRLR, it would have made the CTRLR even more impressive
16th March 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldo

I imagine the bt combo chip would cost more then just bt4, in hardware maybe in licensing also...
BT2 is slow and less energy efficient so that's why it's not required on mojo.

But you could be right, it's only the first few batches, so I'm sure there's still some tweeks that could be made in production.
I was hoping they lowered the Dpad (PS style) and raised the mode switch from a grove to a grip tab thing.. oh well.

The price dropped from $79.99 to $59.99 which is a great price I think for the features and very competative.
Speaking of sku's, I wonder why they have the CTRLi and not added iOS support to the retail CTRLR, it would have made the CTRLR even more impressive

You may be right about the chip cost, although I can't imagine it being that much more expensive. Especially when the cost of producing and maintaining inventory of two separate SKU's is factored into the equation.

With respect to the MOJO's controller having BT2.2 capability, As far as the MOJO is concerned, it's really only an issue until we get KitKat and no longer have to waste a USB port on a dongle. It will remain an issue when using the controller with a device not supporting BT4. Not a problem for me, but likely is for some folks.

It would be a nice gesture for Mad Catz to come up with some way to provide dual functionality to MOJO's early adopters, even if it's something as simple as a discounted price on the new C.T.R.L.r.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes