No registration required

Will Google Cast ever do 1080p?

OP dmwagner

12th March 2014, 08:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

98 posts
More
I am using Chromcast to display a static website on a large display at work via Casting a Tab with Google Cast. The text looks fuzzy on 720p modes. Do you think Google will ever put in a 1080p mode into Google Cast?
12th March 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872

2,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm guessing not unless they do a major revamp of how it works. In your case your best result will either be to cast a 720p-sized tab (use the option to resize the tab for best display) or use Vbukit to display the site.

You'll get poor results - both performance-wise and quality-wise - if it has to downscale a larger image to 720p then have the display upscale that downscaled result. Displaying a native 720p image upscaled to 1080p should look pretty good. Fact of the matter is, some of the HD TV content you receive is still 720p so it's being upscaled too.
13th March 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

98 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

I'm guessing not unless they do a major revamp of how it works. In your case your best result will either be to cast a 720p-sized tab (use the option to resize the tab for best display) or use Vbukit to display the site.

You'll get poor results - both performance-wise and quality-wise - if it has to downscale a larger image to 720p then have the display upscale that downscaled result. Displaying a native 720p image upscaled to 1080p should look pretty good. Fact of the matter is, some of the HD TV content you receive is still 720p so it's being upscaled too.

Thank you for the reply.

I bit the bullet and ordered up a 25ft HDMI cable and will have it run from the display to the workstation what is "serving" up this website.

I really need the 1080p resolution to be able to fit all the content and have it readable.
13th March 2014, 04:39 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872

2,234 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwagner

I really need the 1080p resolution to be able to fit all the content and have it readable.

Got it. I suggested Vbukit but it seems the 2.0 version has removed the ability to send web URLs - seems they were just snapshots anyway though.

Actually, if you find you really need to be un-wired and it's a static or scripted website demonstration, you could make a photo stream or video and present that.

Vbukit can present PowerPoint among other Office filetypes.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread