Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

Starting Over

13th March 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

66 posts
I currently have a rooted HTC Evo 4G LTE with Sprint, the contract is over and Sprint no longer wants to offer unlimited data. So it is time for me to find a new provider, a new phone.

Which provider has the best 4G LTE signal, which would be the best phone.
My requirements are that the phone be able to be rooted, and that I have control of the bootloader.
As far as I know HTC is the only bootloader that you can have control.

I think I want to go with T-Mobile, since they have a sensible unlimited plan...which would be the best phone for this project.
13th March 2014, 07:32 AM   |  #2  
Flag Granite Bay, California
Thanks Meter: 387

1,074 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgduece22

I currently have a rooted HTC Evo 4G LTE with Sprint, the contract is over and Sprint no longer wants to offer unlimited data. So it is time for me to find a new provider, a new phone.

My requirements are that the phone be able to be rooted, and that I have control of the bootloader.

I think I want to go with T-Mobile, since they have a sensible unlimited plan...which would be the best phone for this project.

I switched over to T-Mobile and a n5. Fabulous coverage and insane speeds. Although of course T-Mobile coverage isn't as great as Verizon and AT&T. Check sensorly for your area. But I do highly recommend T-Mobile. Also, Nexus boot loader isn't controllable. But the amount of development for the device is through the roof. If you're a flashaholic like me, then the n5 is the phone for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
13th March 2014, 02:00 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 201

355 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgduece22

Why is sprint making you change your plan? Did you go to the store? Because upgrading doesn't always entail a new plan, if you went to the store they may be trying to sell you more than the phone. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
13th March 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #4  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 730

1,813 posts
More
Maybe they were promoting their new Easy Pay plans.
13th March 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 1,919

3,590 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarsyl

Sounds like it.

Sent from my EVO LTE
13th March 2014, 02:52 PM   |  #6  
Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 174

335 posts
Quote:

That's exactly what they're doing. However, contact Sprint before you purchase a new phone and inform them that you would like to be grandfathered into your old plan. From what I was told, this can be done, but only BEFORE you purchase a new phone.

Given, you'll still deal with the Easy Pay, but same plan. You could also possibly just get your phone from Best Buy Mobile and still get a phone under the normal discounted rates for a two year plan.
13th March 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #7  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 730

1,813 posts
More
I've heard that the Easy Pay is the new plan for everyone, and Sprint with no longer issue contracts, but month-to-month service. Payments for your phone will be divided over a course of 2yrs, I think, but it is not the same as an actual plan. You will have to pay the remaining balance for you phone as opposed to a termination fee.

I'm not sure how I feel about that...they told me that I can upgrade through Easy Pay, but I need to speak to them in person to find out the actual details and the benefits.
13th March 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #8  
Flag East Stroudsburg
Thanks Meter: 375

684 posts
More
Quote:

I've heard that the Easy Pay is the new plan for everyone, and Sprint with no longer issue contracts, but month-to-month service. Payments for your phone will be divided over a course of 2yrs, I think, but it is not the same as an actual plan. You will have to pay the remaining balance for you phone as opposed to a termination fee.

I'm not sure how I feel about that...they told me that I can upgrade through Easy Pay, but I need to speak to them in person to find out the actual details and the benefits.

From what I've just experienced, you don't have to do easy pay. I changed my plan to the new "my way" plan and I can get my upgraded device anyway I want. I could use easy pay or purchase it outright at the discounted rate. I also have the option to use a third party vendor, like wirefly or on Amazon, which is what I'm doing. With easy pay, as it was explained to me by sprint rep, you pay a small amount up front. Then they bill you monthly, over 24 months and you end up paying full (non discounted) price for the device you choose. But I didn't have to change my plan, I chose to.

EVOlved human
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Evolution_Freak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 1,919

3,590 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistevofreak

From what I've just experienced, you don't have to do easy pay. I changed my plan to the new "my way" plan and I can get my upgraded device anyway I want. I could use easy pay or purchase it outright at the discounted rate. I also have the option to use a third party vendor, like wirefly or on Amazon, which is what I'm doing. With easy pay, as it was explained to me by sprint rep, you pay a small amount up front. Then they bill you monthly, over 24 months and you end up paying full (non discounted) price for the device you choose. But I didn't have to change my plan, I chose to.

EVOlved human

Easy Pay sounds similar to the now-defunct "One-Up" plan. I believe you had to pay the taxes on the full, non-discounted price up front when upgrading, and then paying for the phone over the next two years, as I recall. Any remaining balance at the end of the two year period had to be paid in full.

Sent from my EVO LTE
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th March 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #10  
I'm kind of hesitant to switch to another carrier mainly because of what is going on with a merger between them and T-mobile. T-mobile recently bought all of Verizon's 700MHz bandwidth, meaning better LTE coverage for Sprint as soon as the merger goes through, if it goes through at all.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread