FORUMS

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more

Verizon Moto X 2014 Receives Root On Kitkat 4.4.4

The Verizon Moto X 2014 has finally received root, albeit only on Kitkat 4.4.4 … more

Android 5.1.1 Released, Google Cell Service – XDA TV

Android Lollipop 5.1.1 has been released. That and much more news is covered … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Is there a way to use my home internet in my phone so that i can use when im away

13th March 2014, 07:43 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Is there a way to use my home internet to my phone when im away from home. I know its kinda impossible but just curious to know if anyone found a way to do that.
 
 
13th March 2014, 07:46 AM |#2  
Member
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 19
 
Donate to Me
More
If you have wifi then you can use it withn some meters like 100m but that too depends on your wifi range. But if you are thinking something like using home's wifi from any place dat is too far then it is impossible
13th March 2014, 06:11 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thought so... maybe someone could come up with that soon in near future
14th March 2014, 02:04 PM |#4  
JayR_L's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 73
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCocaine

Is there a way to use my home internet to my phone when im away from home. I know its kinda impossible but just curious to know if anyone found a way to do that.

You mean so that you're not using mobile data at all?

This will always be impossible; unless of course you could extend WiFi range to miles and beyond. This is also not likely to happen, consumer devices such as routers and access points have strict limits on broadcast power. Any more than that, and you need to have a license. Also, considering the fact that the WiFi band is already congested at low power levels (we're talking about milliwatts), I don't think your neighbours would appreciate having a several kilowatt radio transmitter blocking their wireless signal.

Needless to say, your phone would also need a huge transmitter in order for two-way communication with the base station to work. This is not going to happen on battery power.

Now, if you're trying to access your home internet connection, you can use a Virtual Private Network or SSH tunnelling. But there's no way you're going to avoid having to use mobile data.
The Following User Says Thank You to JayR_L For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 03:01 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_L

You mean so that you're not using mobile data at all?

This will always be impossible; unless of course you could extend WiFi range to miles and beyond. This is also not likely to happen, consumer devices such as routers and access points have strict limits on broadcast power. Any more than that, and you need to have a license. Also, considering the fact that the WiFi band is already congested at low power levels (we're talking about milliwatts), I don't think your neighbours would appreciate having a several kilowatt radio transmitter blocking their wireless signal.

Needless to say, your phone would also need a huge transmitter in order for two-way communication with the base station to work. This is not going to happen on battery power.

Now, if you're trying to access your home internet connection, you can use a Virtual Private Network or SSH tunnelling. But there's no way you're going to avoid having to use mobile data.

Can I use my mobile data but increase my speed which is similar to my home internet connection?
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalCocaine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 03:08 PM |#6  
JayR_L's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 73
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCocaine

Can I use my mobile data but increase my speed which is similar to my home internet connection?

Google Chrome for Android has a feature called "Reduce Data Usage" which uses Google's servers to compress data and thus reduce loading times and data usage.

You can find this feature by going to Chrome settings -> Bandwidth Management -> "Reduce Data Usage"

For me, it reduced data usage by 32%. As the amount of data transferred is proportional to wait times, less data = faster.
14th March 2014, 03:15 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_L

Google Chrome for Android has a feature called "Reduce Data Usage" which uses Google's servers to compress data and thus reduce loading times and data usage.

You can find this feature by going to Chrome settings -> Bandwidth Management -> "Reduce Data Usage"

For me, it reduced data usage by 32%. As the amount of data transferred is proportional to wait times, less data = faster.

I should try this method, thanks but is there a way to speed up my wifi hotspot using my phone data?
14th March 2014, 07:27 PM |#8  
JayR_L's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 73
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCocaine

I should try this method, thanks but is there a way to speed up my wifi hotspot using my phone data?

No. You can't multiplex/bridge a WiFi connection and mobile data connection easily. And even if you could, it's unlikely that you would notice an increase in speed. I'm afraid the only solution for that is to get a better device or better network.
15th March 2014, 01:36 AM |#9  
Product F(RED)'s Avatar
Senior Member
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 2,851
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_L

No. You can't multiplex/bridge a WiFi connection and mobile data connection easily. And even if you could, it's unlikely that you would notice an increase in speed. I'm afraid the only solution for that is to get a better device or better network.

Actually, you can: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08...ter-than-ever/
15th March 2014, 07:06 PM |#10  
JayR_L's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moncton
Thanks Meter: 73
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED)

Actually, you can: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08...ter-than-ever/

Yes, this might speed up downloads slightly but it doesn't help you browse the web any faster. Even if you could pull a couple extra megabits/sec, the latency wouldn't be divisible in two.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes