Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is there a way to use my home internet in my phone so that i can use when im away

Tip us?

DigitalCocaine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Is there a way to use my home internet in my phone so that i can use when im away

Is there a way to use my home internet to my phone when im away from home. I know its kinda impossible but just curious to know if anyone found a way to do that.

M_E_G_A_T_R_O_N
Old
Thanks Meter 18
If you have wifi then you can use it withn some meters like 100m but that too depends on your wifi range. But if you are thinking something like using home's wifi from any place dat is too far then it is impossible

DigitalCocaine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thought so... maybe someone could come up with that soon in near future

JayR_L
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCocaine View Post
Is there a way to use my home internet to my phone when im away from home. I know its kinda impossible but just curious to know if anyone found a way to do that.
You mean so that you're not using mobile data at all?

This will always be impossible; unless of course you could extend WiFi range to miles and beyond. This is also not likely to happen, consumer devices such as routers and access points have strict limits on broadcast power. Any more than that, and you need to have a license. Also, considering the fact that the WiFi band is already congested at low power levels (we're talking about milliwatts), I don't think your neighbours would appreciate having a several kilowatt radio transmitter blocking their wireless signal.

Needless to say, your phone would also need a huge transmitter in order for two-way communication with the base station to work. This is not going to happen on battery power.

Now, if you're trying to access your home internet connection, you can use a Virtual Private Network or SSH tunnelling. But there's no way you're going to avoid having to use mobile data.
The Following User Says Thank You to JayR_L For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DigitalCocaine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR_L View Post
You mean so that you're not using mobile data at all?

This will always be impossible; unless of course you could extend WiFi range to miles and beyond. This is also not likely to happen, consumer devices such as routers and access points have strict limits on broadcast power. Any more than that, and you need to have a license. Also, considering the fact that the WiFi band is already congested at low power levels (we're talking about milliwatts), I don't think your neighbours would appreciate having a several kilowatt radio transmitter blocking their wireless signal.

Needless to say, your phone would also need a huge transmitter in order for two-way communication with the base station to work. This is not going to happen on battery power.

Now, if you're trying to access your home internet connection, you can use a Virtual Private Network or SSH tunnelling. But there's no way you're going to avoid having to use mobile data.
Can I use my mobile data but increase my speed which is similar to my home internet connection?
The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalCocaine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JayR_L
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Can I use my mobile data but increase my speed which is similar to my home internet connection?
Google Chrome for Android has a feature called "Reduce Data Usage" which uses Google's servers to compress data and thus reduce loading times and data usage.

You can find this feature by going to Chrome settings -> Bandwidth Management -> "Reduce Data Usage"

For me, it reduced data usage by 32%. As the amount of data transferred is proportional to wait times, less data = faster.

DigitalCocaine
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Google Chrome for Android has a feature called "Reduce Data Usage" which uses Google's servers to compress data and thus reduce loading times and data usage.

You can find this feature by going to Chrome settings -> Bandwidth Management -> "Reduce Data Usage"

For me, it reduced data usage by 32%. As the amount of data transferred is proportional to wait times, less data = faster.
I should try this method, thanks but is there a way to speed up my wifi hotspot using my phone data?

JayR_L
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
I should try this method, thanks but is there a way to speed up my wifi hotspot using my phone data?
No. You can't multiplex/bridge a WiFi connection and mobile data connection easily. And even if you could, it's unlikely that you would notice an increase in speed. I'm afraid the only solution for that is to get a better device or better network.
Bell SGH-I757M (on Telus) - SlimKAT 4.4 unofficial build by titanic_fanatic
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If my post was helpful at all to you, don't forget to thank me.

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2,612
Quote:
No. You can't multiplex/bridge a WiFi connection and mobile data connection easily. And even if you could, it's unlikely that you would notice an increase in speed. I'm afraid the only solution for that is to get a better device or better network.
Actually, you can: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08...ter-than-ever/

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

JayR_L
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
Yes, this might speed up downloads slightly but it doesn't help you browse the web any faster. Even if you could pull a couple extra megabits/sec, the latency wouldn't be divisible in two.
Bell SGH-I757M (on Telus) - SlimKAT 4.4 unofficial build by titanic_fanatic
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If my post was helpful at all to you, don't forget to thank me.