Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do custom ROMs handle buttons?

Tip us?

DeanDomino
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How do custom ROMs handle buttons?

The kindle Fire HD does not have any buttons on the front side. If you're running an app in fullscreen then a little picker shows up at the bottom of the screen that contains the buttons "Back, Home" etc.

How do other ROMs handle this lack of buttons? I would like to install CyanogenMod on my Kindle, but I am not sure how it will cope with the Kindle having no buttons.

wire55
Old
Thanks Meter 26
It does have buttons, they are at the bottom of the screen except for when on full screen mode. Then you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and they show up

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD running AOKP
\

DeanDomino
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wire55 View Post
It does have buttons, they are at the bottom of the screen except for when on full screen mode. Then you just swipe up from the bottom of the screen and they show up

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD running AOKP
I was talking about hardware buttons or soft-touch button - like actual physical buttons.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 17th March 2014 at 09:52 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605

DONATE TO ME
I'll show you a screenshot so you get the idea, though keep in mind I'm using a tablet ui so on a normal ROM they are still there but more centered whereas mine are left justified.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395045925740.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2634916

Wow that pic is old, surprised I still had it sitting around, you can tell by the date in the screenshot.

When in full screen, rather than minimizing the bar like in amazon's os, it turns all the symbols and such into a small dot that's a barely noticeable on the black bar so it doesn't take away from the video, though personally I liked Amazon's solution better, thought it was kinda neat despite everything else in the os I hated.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

DeanDomino
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
I'll show you a screenshot so you get the idea, though keep in mind I'm using a tablet ui so on a normal ROM they are still there but more centered whereas mine are left justified.

Attachment 2634916

Wow that pic is old, surprised I still had it sitting around, you can tell by the date in the screenshot.

When in full screen, rather than minimizing the bar like in amazon's os, it turns all the symbols and such into a small dot that's a barely noticeable on the black bar so it doesn't take away from the video, though personally I liked Amazon's solution better, thought it was kinda neat despite everything else in the os I hated.

Thanks for the pic. What ROM are you using?

Personally, I kind of like Amazons solution, but I would like to see it improved. My ideas is the following: Make the button-bar auto-hide when running a fullscreen-app. A click on the volume buttons on the backside could make the button-bar visible for a few seconds.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 605

DONATE TO ME
I'm on cm 10.1 with my tablet ui patch flashed on top of it. I couldn't get tablet ui working on cm 10.2, jester supposedly did but he never released it on his tablet ui page. I think I can also get this look using a ROM link the pacman ROM or one of the others on cm 11, I've just been lazy and haven't tested them out.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null