Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 47,213 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Efs folder needed

Tip us?
 
alphabeast
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Guatemala

 
DONATE TO ME
Wink Efs folder needed

guys i got my phone bricked it lost the imei and baseband in the update process however you know since the phone is with bootloader locked i cant rooted and fix it. but i have read that i can fix it copying the efs file from another phone so please guys i wouldnt be asking for this if i dont need it im currently at Guatemala city so i cant take my phone to att or Samsung usa and since my phone is the att variant of the active here i dont have any warranty so please guys have some mercy and help me out with this
 
Devo7v
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 896
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeast View Post
guys i got my phone bricked it lost the imei and baseband in the update process however you know since the phone is with bootloader locked i cant rooted and fix it. but i have read that i can fix it copying the efs file from another phone so please guys i wouldnt be asking for this if i dont need it im currently at Guatemala city so i cant take my phone to att or Samsung usa and since my phone is the att variant of the active here i dont have any warranty so please guys have some mercy and help me out with this
You need root privileges to read and write to the efs folder. You can try flashing the Odin files, but it will wipe your phone so back everything up.
 
alphabeast
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Guatemala

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
You need root privileges to read and write to the efs folder. You can try flashing the Odin files, but it will wipe your phone so back everything up.
Yeah i have ir backed up Since I have tried to flash it like 10 times with the Odin files so if you please can give me your copy I'll appreciate it
 
Devo7v
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 896
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeast View Post
Yeah i have ir backed up Since I have tried to flash it like 10 times with the Odin files so if you please can give me your copy I'll appreciate it
I'm not going to do that, and I doubt most other people would be willing to give you their efs folder. I understand the predicament you're in and I'm sure you are well-intentioned, but this would give your phone the same IMEI as my phone. First off it is illegal to have two phones with the same IMEI, second you could potentially report the IMEI stolen and lock my phone or worse. While I don't think you'd be malicious it, I'm just not comfortable giving it to you.

This would be very similar to somebody giving you a copy of their license plate from their car because yours fell off. It's just bad idea.

Since Odin won't work (it should), I suggest calling Samsung support and tell them you received an OTA update via AT&T and your phone doesn't work. Unfortunately you're going to have to lie and tell them that you were in the United States on AT&T's network, but hopefully you can send it in for a warranty repair.

In the future (I'm assuming you bought the phone for full price and it isn't subsidized by your carrier), always buy the international version of a phone with an unlocked bootloader. If you're paying full price for a phone there is no reason not to buy a bootloader unlocked phone because you would have a lot more options if you run into problems. Sorry I can't help, but hopefully you are able to resolve your proble.
 
alphabeast
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Guatemala

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
I'm not going to do that, and I doubt most other people would be willing to give you their efs folder. I understand the predicament you're in and I'm sure you are well-intentioned, but this would give your phone the same IMEI as my phone. First off it is illegal to have two phones with the same IMEI, second you could potentially report the IMEI stolen and lock my phone or worse. While I don't think you'd be malicious it, I'm just not comfortable giving it to you.

This would be very similar to somebody giving you a copy of their license plate from their car because yours fell off. It's just bad idea.

Since Odin won't work (it should), I suggest calling Samsung support and tell them you received an OTA update via AT&T and your phone doesn't work. Unfortunately you're going to have to lie and tell them that you were in the United States on AT&T's network, but hopefully you can send it in for a warranty repair.

In the future (I'm assuming you bought the phone for full price and it isn't subsidized by your carrier), always buy the international version of a phone with an unlocked bootloader. If you're paying full price for a phone there is no reason not to buy a bootloader unlocked phone because you would have a lot more options if you run into problems. Sorry I can't help, but hopefully you are able to resolve your proble.
Well I may not explain you well there's a software to change your IMEl with mine cause I understand that I have not to use yours But please help me with this cause I'm outside the usa and send my phone to usa it's quite expensive it's almost a 100 bucks just to send it.
But please here I have found a software for the galaxy s3 to change IMEI with the original .bak file the one I don't have or I can't get from my phone so I'm just trying to get it fixed as soon as I flash that I'm gonna get a 0/0 IMEI so for no reason I won't get yours so please bro I'm desesperate cause do this its my last chance to fix this or I will lose this phone cause it won't work for good. So please bro I promise I will show you that I will have my IMEI or a 0/0. Please bro please
 
alphabeast
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Guatemala

 
DONATE TO ME
And besides I bought this phone without knowing anything about int. Version I just Bought it to use it. And all I know right now I learned from here so I'm sorry but I used to be iPhone user and then I was using a LG thrill from AT&T so I thought this was not going to give me any troubles
 
Devo7v
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 896
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
You need root privileges to read and write to the efs folder. You can try flashing the Odin files, but it will wipe your phone so back everything up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeast View Post
Well I may not explain you well there's a software to change your IMEl with mine cause I understand that I have not to use yours But please help me with this cause I'm outside the usa and send my phone to usa it's quite expensive it's almost a 100 bucks just to send it.
But please here I have found a software for the galaxy s3 to change IMEI with the original .bak file the one I don't have or I can't get from my phone so I'm just trying to get it fixed as soon as I flash that I'm gonna get a 0/0 IMEI so for no reason I won't get yours so please bro I'm desesperate cause do this its my last chance to fix this or I will lose this phone cause it won't work for good. So please bro I promise I will show you that I will have my IMEI or a 0/0. Please bro please
I understand the predicament you're in and I understand that you have software that will change the IMEI to your value, but even if you are able to do that, how are you going to get it on the phone? As I said before you need root privileges to read or write to the efs folder. So even if you are able to make the changes with the software you found you have no way of loading it to the phone so you're still in the same situation you are now, you just have my efs folder.

There should be a local Samsung representative in your country, try calling them, maybe you won't have to ship it to the US.
 
alphabeast
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Guatemala

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
I understand the predicament you're in and I understand that you have software that will change the IMEI to your value, but even if you are able to do that, how are you going to get it on the phone? As I said before you need root privileges to read or write to the efs folder. So even if you are able to make the changes with the software you found you have no way of loading it to the phone so you're still in the same situation you are now, you just have my efs folder.

There should be a local Samsung representative in your country, try calling them, maybe you won't have to ship it to the US.
yes youre right i need root privileges to do it in the phone however i have learn how to créate a image file to flash it into the phone with ODIN i have found that this has been done in some older models like in the Galaxy note 2 or Galaxy s3 you can find that info just for you to make sure that im not lying to you. thats why im insisting on this cause i have found similar problems with those phones and the way to fix this is the one im trying to do. i understand that this may sound suspicious but im not trying to do anything wrong with your phone im just trying to fix mine i understand that is not your problem but maybe i can find a solution for other guys who will have this kind of problem.

i know is not your problem but please sir let me try and probably i can do something good and then i can share what i learn here

and here i have Samsung Guatemala yes youre right and i have took my phone to them and they were not able to fix it. because its not from the country and they cant do anything on this case so im stucked to this
 
Devo7v
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 312
Posts: 896
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeast View Post
yes youre right i need root privileges to do it in the phone however i have learn how to créate a image file to flash it into the phone with ODIN i have found that this has been done in some older models like in the Galaxy note 2 or Galaxy s3 you can find that info just for you to make sure that im not lying to you. thats why im insisting on this cause i have found similar problems with those phones and the way to fix this is the one im trying to do. i understand that this may sound suspicious but im not trying to do anything wrong with your phone im just trying to fix mine i understand that is not your problem but maybe i can find a solution for other guys who will have this kind of problem.

i know is not your problem but please sir let me try and probably i can do something good and then i can share what i learn here

and here i have Samsung Guatemala yes youre right and i have took my phone to them and they were not able to fix it. because its not from the country and they cant do anything on this case so im stucked to this
So you're going to run into another problem then, the bootloader on this phone is locked so you will not be able to flash anything that isn't signed by Samsung. If we were able to flash things to the phone then we would be able to root and install custom recovery. You're pretty much screwed, you still don't have a way to get the efs on to your phone.

The ML2 Odin files should fix the issue you're having, but as you mentioned before it isn't. Did you flash the ML2 bootloaders? If you didn't then you can always downgrade to MF1 or MI2 and root the phone. I'm sorry I can't help you, but you really don't have any way of getting the modifying the efs folder on your phone without root.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...