compare your data usage to your bill

OP kegman913

12th March 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
So I have noticed that my note 3 has been reporting high data usage than I normally do. my verizon nexus did an avg of 5gb while this thing has been known to register 10-20gb a month. With the same usage between the two phones and phone companies. (using data usage in settings)

T-mobile registered me using 12.6973 GB / Unlimited Non-Shared for one month. My phone says I used 13.67gb for the same time period. However, I actually added up all the data used by each app individually and got 4.08gb of usage. (and I counted 60 apps using less than 1mb as 1mb each)

I can't possibly be using 8+gb of data that the phone aint counting am I? Do you have similar results?

Here is my math proof
2 apps using more than a gb of data = 2.3gb data
all apps measured in mb = 1771.21 mb. Converted to gb = 1.729697266 gb data
60 apps using less than 1mb counted as 60mb data converted to gb = 0.0585938 gb data

added up == 4.088291066 gb data used
13th March 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 91

457 posts
Can't help you with your missing data, but I just did rough estimate on mine and it adds up pretty well to the totals showed, but I'm nowhere near your totals. The discrepancy between bill and phone could be data used over wifi or slightly different cutoff time (phone could be running totals until midnight your local time and T-mo could be using pacific time).
If I had to make totally wild guess, I remember once somebody posted something about some program going wild on his phone and using gigabytes of data in a matter of days, don't remember the outcome, if it was virus or just crashed program in a loop accessing internet at random, but maybe you should start with some full reset or something. Also maybe look for a better program monitoring your data access and usage. I would be concerned and tried to figure it out, if it was my phone, especially that I have 2GB high speed limit, LOL. Is your phone set up as mobile hot spot? Could somebody else use data from your phone? Did you run virus check?
13th March 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

41 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k

Can't help you with your missing data, but I just did rough estimate on mine and it adds up pretty well to the totals showed, but I'm nowhere near your totals. The discrepancy between bill and phone could be data used over wifi or slightly different cutoff time (phone could be running totals until midnight your local time and T-mo could be using pacific time).
If I had to make totally wild guess, I remember once somebody posted something about some program going wild on his phone and using gigabytes of data in a matter of days, don't remember the outcome, if it was virus or just crashed program in a loop accessing internet at random, but maybe you should start with some full reset or something. Also maybe look for a better program monitoring your data access and usage. I would be concerned and tried to figure it out, if it was my phone, especially that I have 2GB high speed limit, LOL. Is your phone set up as mobile hot spot? Could somebody else use data from your phone? Did you run virus check?

this has been going on since I got the phone brand new. I have unlimited so i wasn't too worried, but after months of repetition, i'm trying to get to the bottom of it. virus scan is good with two programs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread