XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VLC on RT .. soon

Tip us?

xsoliman3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default VLC on RT .. soon

Interesting article on developing VideoLAN VLC app for Windows 8 (as a modern app)
and the issues getting it to compile / run on RT

http://www.neowin.net/news/interview...dows-8-vlc-app

xsoliman3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
When will the Windows RT version of the app be released?

That's a hard question, and has been a source of confusion, notably because too many people can't make the difference between WinRT and Windows RT. (Note that even Microsoft people are confused about this ) So, to compile VLC for WinRT on x86, we use gcc and MinGW to produce the VLC engine, and we compile the UI (in C#) with Visual Studio. The reason is that VS2013 cannot compile VLC, because of the lack of correct support of C99. To compile VLC for WinRT on ARM, aka Windows RT and Windows Phone, we have only two ways: fix gcc-binutils for Windows on ARM or patch VLC and work-around VS2013 bugs. We're trying both at the moment, but we don't know yet the best way. Once VLC is compiled, the app can be released. I will know more about this before the end of the month.

kitor
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I keep my fingers crossed for gcc fix - that would allow us to port many apps that we can't compile with Visual Studio.
PDAsite.pl administrator / editor
BTC: 18xC8fHdev86QnmXvGyDqn73uuVYYop6VN

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor View Post
I keep my fingers crossed for gcc fix - that would allow us to port many apps that we can't compile with Visual Studio.
Yessssss please if they get us a version of GCC that compiles for RT that would be fantastic.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.