Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,779 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD card is damaged - Try reformatting it

Tip us?

energeiakos
Old
(Last edited by energeiakos; 11th March 2014 at 03:12 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default SD card is damaged - Try reformatting it

I had had a SanDisc 32 GB class 10 and everything was ok, until the time in which I needed more than 30GB in my HTC Desire X. So, I decided to buy the Kingston microSD 64 GB class 10. Even though our phone has official limit at 32 GB, after googling I noticed that I would not have problem with this card. So I bought it.

From the begin I had a few problems. Very often, about 2-3 times every day, it was required to unmount - mount the card for reading some files or for renaming them.

... it was not big problem for me. But from yesterday, I cannot have access to the sd. I see a message Damaged SD card, SD card is damaged, try reformatting it. And if I try reformatting it, nothing happens. Also in settings - storage I cannot mount the card, and I just see that SD card is unavailable...

What I have to do now? To try a format from windows 7? If so, what format? Fat32, ntfs or something else?

Maybe it is better to use the warranty?

Thank you in advance...
The word "ANDROID" was coined from the Greek root ἀνδρ- / andr- 'man' and the suffix -οειδ / -oid 'having the form or likeness of'.

dansou901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 846
For sdcard, try to format to fat32 (should work either using gparted or windows format tools).
Current device: Oneplus One 64 GB Sandstone Black
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, I'll help you as much as I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to dansou901 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

realCyphox
Old
(Last edited by realCyphox; 14th March 2014 at 10:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 66
try to format your sdcard with the offical tool from the sdcard association:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

if you wanna format your sdcard the right way, THIS IS THE TOOL TO GO!

The SD Formatter was created specifically for memory cards using the SD/SDHC/SDXC standards

if you still have problems, try to get a replacement from your dealer or sandisk directly.

if that doesnt help, try a different brand like kingston, samsung, etc....
The Following User Says Thank You to realCyphox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]