Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] need help rooting telus GS3

OP capp apollo

30th January 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
Trying to root it to get the hidden basebands so i can use it on wind mobile. I just switched to lnux and I found this video and instruction set on androidrootz "how to root galaxy s3 on max osx/linux/ubuntu [Jelly Bean] US/Canadian" (can't actually post the link because i'm apparently still new)

having some problems, the root isn't taking properly. I keep getting this readout from the console when I try to root the phone.

apollo@Prometheus ~ $ cd Desktop
apollo@Prometheus ~/Desktop $ cd motochopper
apollo@Prometheus ~/Desktop/motochopper $ chmod 755 *
apollo@Prometheus ~/Desktop/motochopper $ sudo sh run.sh
[sudo] password for apollo: [*][*] Motochopper: Android root exploit (Linux/OS X version)[*] v1.1[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Tested on the Motorola Razr HD, Razr M, Razr Maxx HD, and Atrix HD.[*] Supports lots of other devices as well. [*][*] Before continuing, ensure that USB debugging is enabled and that[*] your phone is connected via USB.[*][*] WARNING: This will likely void the warranty on your device. I am[*] not responsible for any damage to your phone as a result using this[*] tool.[*][*] Press enter to root your phone...
run.sh: 39: read: Illegal option -n[*][*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Pushing exploit...
5985 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 0.209s)[*] Pushing root tools...
6124 KB/s (366952 bytes in 0.058s)
5589 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.326s)
5915 KB/s (1578585 bytes in 0.260s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
- waiting for device -
[*] Rooting phone...
[+] This may take a few minutes.
[-] Failure.[*] Cleaning up...[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.
run.sh: 83: read: Illegal option -n

everything is fine until that part that I have highlighted in red. suddenly stops and just says failure for no apparent reason. When the phone reboots, I have the superuser app installed but because the phone isnt actually rooted, i can't do anything with the app, just keeps trying to get me to update the su binary (again can't actually do it because the phone is not actually rooted). Anybody know what i can do to make it work properly?

Running telus GS3 32gb with android 4.3

Baseband version
I747MVLUEMK5

Kernel version
3.0.31-2140838
se.infra@R0304-04 #1
Tue Nov 19 19:35:04 KST 2013
30th January 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #2  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 854

3,011 posts
More
This might help: http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/
31st January 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississauga

6 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

This might help: LINK BLOCKED

I just read through that page you posted, I do have KNOX on my GS3, and it says that using the CF autoroot on a KNOX device will trip the KNOX void warranty.... is that going to cause a problem with actually rooting the phone or is it just going to void the warranty and they wont cover it if it goes sideways?
31st January 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #4  
Toronto

3,011 posts
More
Loading any non-Samsung software is going trip the Knox counter so, if you have a warranty on your phone, it may be best that you not flash it.
31st January 2014, 11:41 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississauga

6 posts
More
Quote:

Loading any non-Samsung software is going trip the Knox counter so, if you have a warranty on your phone, it may be best that you not flash it.

what does that actually do then, tripping the knox counter? does it just disable knox completely? also i've had this phone for over a year now so the warranty is completely gone
1st February 2014, 12:59 AM   |  #6  
Toronto

3,011 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp apollo

what does that actually do then, tripping the knox counter? does it just disable knox completely? also i've had this phone for over a year now so the warranty is completely gone

Knox is security software that Samsung included with the 4.3 update. It's a method of separating work files from personal files on the phone.

Here's a link to pre-rooted stock ROMs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426
2nd February 2014, 11:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississauga

6 posts
More
Quote:

Knox is security software that Samsung included with the 4.3 update. It's a method of separating work files from personal files on the phone.

Here's a link to pre-rooted stock ROMs: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426

if i'm not worried about knox though.... will rooting the phone disable knox somehow (also could disabling knox affect the phone in some way)
3rd February 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #8  
Toronto

3,011 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capp apollo

if i'm not worried about knox though.... will rooting the phone disable knox somehow (also could disabling knox affect the phone in some way)

I assume you have no warranty because rooting will void it.

Routing will not disable Knox.

If you have access to a PC, you could load a custom recovery, root from recovery, disable Knox from recovery, and you're good.
14th March 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississauga

6 posts
More
just tried the same method from a different source with slightly different method of inputting the commands into the console, here's what it looks like this time

Prometheus apollo # cd Desktop
Prometheus Desktop # cd motochopper
Prometheus motochopper # ./run.sh[*][*] Motochopper: Android root exploit (Linux/OS X version)[*] v1.1[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Tested on the Motorola Razr HD, Razr M, Razr Maxx HD, and Atrix HD.[*] Supports lots of other devices as well. [*][*] Before continuing, ensure that USB debugging is enabled and that[*] your phone is connected via USB.[*][*] WARNING: This will likely void the warranty on your device. I am[*] not responsible for any damage to your phone as a result using this[*] tool.[*][*] Press enter to root your phone...
[*][*] Waiting for device...
error: protocol fault (no status)[*] Device found.[*] Pushing exploit...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device offline
error: device offline[*] Pushing root tools...
- waiting for device -
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk, No such file or directory[*] Rooting phone...
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/pwn: not found[*] Cleaning up...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/pwn, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/busybox, No such file or directory[*] Exploit complete. Press enter to reboot and exit.

as you can see, it didn't hang on anything, it actually went through what I'm assuming is the entire process, and it even rebooted my phone for me but when i went in to check titanium backup, it told me that I don't have the root privelages enabled.....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread