Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 45,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[R&D] Canadian Modem/Data Drop Woes with KitKat

Tip us?

cantenna
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Fnc1 modem semi bricked my Canada Rogers gs4. Had to do a factory restore using odin , luckily I got through it call and have avoiding knox

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Also my boot loader is mdj

JDM STi
Old
(Last edited by JDM STi; 14th March 2014 at 02:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
It would be great if someone can share a link of the Canadian MK6 modem.

Update: Don't like to assume but would Bell MK6 modem works for Rogers?

cantenna
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I have mk6 modem that I'm using and it works well but its interesting is you need to install infamous 4.2.2 ROM to install it. It won't flash via Odin PC (tried to recently) only mobile Odin can flash it. Then after you have upgraded modem you can install any ROM you wish. Id recommend. Before flashing that ROM, be sure your phone meets the requirements.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantenna View Post
I have mk6 modem that I'm using and it works well but its interesting is you need to install infamous 4.2.2 ROM to install it. It won't flash via Odin PC (tried to recently) only mobile Odin can flash it. Then after you have upgraded modem you can install any ROM you wish. Id recommend. Before flashing that ROM, be sure your phone meets the requirements.

here is the tutorial to upgrade

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13469&page=941

try to find the origional yhrough google as this quoted tuutorial seems to be missing some steps

as you can see the person who quoted had difficulties upgradeing its because odin is picky! need to jump to infamous 4.2.2 temporially to upgrade

let me know if you need anything else

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I have copies of these files if needed

JDM STi
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Or this

davanw
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Over the last 24 hours, just for testing, I've flashed almost every single ROM available in this forum, and with different combinations of MG1, MK6 and NC1.

My results are pretty simple.

Every single ROM made by iBastid worked without issue.

Every single other ROM dropped data.

Intersting to note, that iBastid's ROMs are the only ones where he includes a flashable "Canadian Fix". That can't be coincidence that his are the only ROMs working properly...

cantenna
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM STi View Post
Or this
Thanks for the link. I have shared the reminder of my experience with this in your link.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

I know, it works, just used it again yesterday. Odin is very picky from I learned from using it. Different versions of Odin flash different things. This worked for me, in fact its the only thing that would work for me on my hardware.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I spent 20 plus hours fixing my phone after a bad modem flash. This is one of the things I did to fix

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Here is where to go to return to stock, you need to used the odin version here or else stock f/w dont flash. Make sure you do not re-partition. Follow the guide perfectly and make sure your current bootloader is same version of stock fw your returning to. I didnt bother resetting flash counter with triangle away, just adds more brick risk. after that I re-rooted with chainfire su for canada, installed cwm recovery via playstore, upgraded to philz recovery. Next i installed infamous 10.1 R2 rom *make sure your phone is compatible with this rom. From there i followed tutorial to upgrade to mk6 modem from above. Finally i wiped factory resest via philz recovery and installed a kitkat build that require mk6 modem. All working great!!

see
http://www.androidrootz.com/2013/06/...galaxy-s4.html

My bootloader is MDJ so i returned to MDJ stock! I did not have knox and still do not. Be carful not to accidentally install knox know upon first boot with stock fw.

I believe if you have an MK6 bootloader then it means you have knox.

Another safer option is to restore via samsung tool but then you may loose some root functionality