SUMMARY of Android, root-friendly handsets and bootloaders

OP pcrussell50

14th March 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
santa barbara, ca
Thanks Meter: 4

35 posts
More
Galaxy Note II user here, rooted, running CM, happy. This fall, I will be due a free or cheap handset upgrade. I've been loosely following the GN3, even though I will probably wait for the GN4, and reading about KNOX. Then I got to thinking, maybe if Samsung is so interested in putting up barriers to rooters, maybe I don't need to give them my money next time I upgrade handsets. I recall a few years back, HTC decided to stop locking it's bootloaders... Good news. but then I didn't follow through to see how that turned out.

So is there a way to list the companies and/or specific handsets that are "friendly" to rooting?

-peter
Last edited by pcrussell50; 14th March 2014 at 07:06 PM.
14th March 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrussell50

Galaxy Note II user here, rooted, running CM, happy. This fall, I will be due a free or cheap handset upgrade. I've been loosely following the GN3, even though I will probably wait for the GN4, and reading about KNOX. Then I got to thinking, maybe if Samsung is so interested in putting up barriers to rooters, maybe I don't need to give them my money next time I upgrade handsets. I recall a few years back, HTC decided to stop locking it's bootloaders... Good news. but then I didn't follow through to see how that turned out.

So is there a way to list the companies and/or specific handsets that are "friendly" to rooting?

-peter

its not all specifically Samsung's fault for the locked boot loaders, their devices have some of the best specs in android so why get rid of the option to opensource? its the carriers fault, like for AT&T for instance, all of the carrier variants of the Galaxy s3 had unlocked boot loader (i could be wrong) when the Galaxy s4 came out they like a few others decided to lock the boot loaders, why? i wanna say they Want people to tether lots and if we were to have a unlocked boot loader we could root it faster and get free tethering, they think they are losing money with all the flashaholics and root users. as for knox yeah its Samsung's fault and i think we all think its a big no no, there is a bounty (over $3000!) going on for it. its really disappointing that Samsung would act this way, Samsung's my hero and i hopped to work with them one day but since they are moving away from open source i think im gonna stick with someone else. as for a new company for phones you should probably go with HTC, LG is terrible, they only care for you if you buy their flagships and their UI is pretty much copying Samsung's.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread