Sony Extends AOSP Project to the Xperia Z3

While most OEMs simply don’t care about the custom ROM community, others are doing an … more

How Open Source Can Help Your Project w/ Ethan Yonker – BABBQ2014

People have finally recovered from this years Big Android BBQ … more

Add Frequency Bands to Your Qualcomm Device

Those of you who travel quite a bit undoubtedly own more than one device due to frequency band … more

More Android 5.0 Details Revealed, Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker – XDA TV

Google talks more about Android 5.0 Lollipop! That and much … more
Post Reply

[Q] How to retrieve data from, and wipe a damaged phone

OP n00bsh1t

15th March 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Hi all,

I damaged my phone after dropping it. Now I'm trying to recover my data from the phone, and also wipe it, before I send it to the service centre.

1. Screen, touch, and possibly more is damaged.

2. It boots to a certain extent (not sure to what extent). Holding the power button for 3 seconds causes flashing of capacitative buttons, and a quick vibration (similar to how I force reboot when it was working). Obviously, I couldn't tell how far in the boot process it went.

3. Searching for answers, it seems like my best bet would be adb. I can't remember whether I enabled USB debugging on the phone (I probably had at some point, just hope that I had not disabled it). Connecting it to PC via USB and then typing the adb commands showed the phone in an "offline" state.

4. dmesg output:

Code:
[ 4239.366740] scsi15 : usb-storage 1-1.1:1.1
[ 4239.575414] usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 11
[ 4240.284869] usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 12 using ehci_hcd
[ 4240.390958] scsi16 : usb-storage 1-1.1:1.1
[ 4241.390427] scsi 16:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HTC      Android Phone    0000 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
[ 4241.391633] sd 16:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 4241.403112] sd 16:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
5. The line "[sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk" made me quite hopeful, but unfortunately when I tried to mount /dev/sdc, I got

Code:
mount: no medium found on /dev/sdc

I feel that my best bet would be to get the "offline" adb device "online"

Any advice, please?
15th March 2014, 04:33 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
another idea. i have CWM (5.8.4.0) installed on the phone.

if i could get into recovery (big "if", because I'm not sure if the volume buttons are working).

then *if* i remember correctly:
- CWM has a feature for enabling USB storage connection
- HTC recovery and CWM can use volume and power buttons for navigation (again, assuming volume buttons work)

but I would really need help with the sequence of volume up/down and power button presses to, firstly, get into CWM (from HTC recovery), and secondly, enable USB mass storage.

thanks!
15th March 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 2
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
If you're sending it to the service station, you can request them either not to wipe data or make a backup of data (as you're unable to) and give it you later, either in a flash drive or in the repaired phone.
16th March 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Well, retrieving the data is actually the less important part. I'm more concerned with wiping it before sending it for repairs. It would be possible for anyone with the phone to retrieve credentials, OAuth tokens, WhatsApp database (http://bas.bosschert.nl/steal-whatsapp-database/) from it.
17th March 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Hi,

Any help, please? Really, I just need the sequence of volume and power buttons to get me from HTC recovery to CWM, and then to themount USB storage function.

BTW, I just found that just maybe, the touchscreen and display could be the only damaged components. Because this morning, the phone alarm clock rang. And I also elicited response by using the capacitative buttons.

Thanks!
17th March 2014, 04:25 AM   |  #6  
athulele's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 299
 
1,209 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bsh1t

Hi,

Any help, please? Really, I just need the sequence of volume and power buttons to get me from HTC recovery to CWM, and then to themount USB storage function.

BTW, I just found that just maybe, the touchscreen and display could be the only damaged components. Because this morning, the phone alarm clock rang. And I also elicited response by using the capacitative buttons.

Thanks!

Download the CWM from cyanogemod11 thread.

Then use volume buttons to navigate up/down and power button to select.

I guess you need to go to Advanced - mount Usb storage

Sent from my HTC One X
17th March 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by athulele

Download the CWM from cyanogemod11 thread.

Then use volume buttons to navigate up/down and power button to select.

I guess you need to go to Advanced - mount Usb storage

Sent from my HTC One X

yes, that's what I intend to do, and I already have CWM in the phone. but the display is broken, so I'm doing blind, and need to know the sequence of volume up/down and power button that will get me to mount USB storage.
17th March 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #8  
athulele's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 299
 
1,209 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bsh1t

yes, that's what I intend to do, and I already have CWM in the phone. but the display is broken, so I'm doing blind, and need to know the sequence of volume up/down and power button that will get me to mount USB storage.

Can you try to follow this image?

http://i1.wp.com/techverse.net/wp-co...phone-easy.jpg

You can see the number of clicks needed to go into mounts ans storage. But I couldn't find a image showing mounts and storage options so you'll have to go by trial and error

Edit : I think that Mount USB storage is the last option. So go into mount and storage and click volume up once and then the power button.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC One X
Last edited by athulele; 17th March 2014 at 06:11 AM.
17th March 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by athulele

Can you try to follow this image?

http://i1.wp.com/techverse.net/wp-co...phone-easy.jpg

You can see the number of clicks needed to go into mounts ans storage. But I couldn't find a image showing mounts and storage options so you'll have to go by trial and error

Edit : I think that Mount USB storage is the last option. So go into mount and storage and click volume up once and then the power button.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC One X

thanks! just what I needed!

one more thing.

iirc, when you first boot into recovery (i.e. volume down + power), it doesn't go straight into CWM, but rather into the HTC recovery menu (http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/48/67...ition.w654.jpg) right?

and just like to confirm that "RECOVERY" is the second item (as per the image because I really can't remember)?

thanks!
17th March 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #10  
athulele's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 299
 
1,209 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bsh1t

thanks! just what I needed!

one more thing.

iirc, when you first boot into recovery (i.e. volume down + power), it doesn't go straight into CWM, but rather into the HTC recovery menu (http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/48/67...ition.w654.jpg) right?

and just like to confirm that "RECOVERY" is the second item (as per the image because I really can't remember)?

thanks!

Yes, recovery is the second option.



Sent from my HTC One X

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes