Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 41,837 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Not rooted Note 3 returned from repair - modified, rooted, not repaired

Tip us?

jdomadia
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvavajiva View Post
Hi again,
my phone has been at services twice already.

Firstly was Samsung official repair service, I posted phone in secure bag with a message explaining what happened, but after two weeks I got it back with notice "it is rooted, no warranty repair". They said, could do it for 150!

Secondly I found other official repair service, where you can bring the phone in person. That is Geek Squad in Carphone Warehouse stores, I found one in Glasgow, Scotland. The guys were very pleased to help, and promised that though the warranty is voided they are going to repair it.

They were going to fix it in three days, but unfortunately they couldn't find what cause the phone freeze up. What they done is sent it to their repair centre near Birmingham, but there phone was refused to be repaired because the same reason - warranty void. When I came to collect the phone in Glasgow on Saturday 8th of March I was able to speak to one of this guys and he explained me they can't make phone working properly. Even while talking with him phone was not responding sometimes and we had to take the battery off a few times. He gave the phone to other engineer to look up again. He opened it and stated that he didn't see any damage in the phone and couldn't actually find the fault, it seemed like the phone should work fine, but it is not. They have flashed my phone with Official Samsung's software (they couldn't change the Knox flag to 0x0) and sent me with it to the seller (Phones4U).

I have taken my phone home and the device was working fine for about two hours, it does that when is not so warm. I only wanted to check is it going to freeze up again. So I played some video to heat up the phone and it stopped responding again. I took off battery and left it overnight.

Next day afternoon I pick up my phone, power it on, and I was trying to check is it possible to update the software when it is official one (that might solve the problem). I could only see the message saying your device is modified, cannot update. I checked it in download mode, and the phone was back from official to custom software!
There was no my contribution in it. The phone did it itself.

So I can conclude that if phone is changing software status from official to custom when this fault comes out, it could also change the status of Knox Warranty Void from 0x0 to 0x1. If that is true, I will have a long way to prove that. But now I'm sure that no person is responsible for tripping the flag in this phone, that could be done by the phone itself.

That is very weird! That means Samsung is putting some extra security (KNOX) to their devices which can cause the phone to be out of warranty when some fault like overheating exists!

Any ideas?
I read somewhere here in XDA changing status from official to custome due to Ext. SD Card, If You are using Ext SD Card remove it & check for Status & also for freezing problems.

GIVE ONE THANKS GET ONE FREE

dvavajiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomadia View Post
I read somewhere here in XDA changing status from official to custome due to Ext. SD Card, If You are using Ext SD Card remove it & check for Status & also for freezing problems.
Thanks mate for trying to help me, but actually I have never used bigger microSD cards than 2gb, people states that their status changes mostly when they are using 64gb.
However I removed SD card as well as sim card 7 weeks ago, just when problem with freezing started. I never put it in again. Status changes itself anyway. I'm just interested is it also Knox flag has been changed because of freezing up.

exprxp
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Thanks mate for trying to help me, but actually I have never used bigger microSD cards than 2gb, people states that their status changes mostly when they are using 64gb.
However I removed SD card as well as sim card 7 weeks ago, just when problem with freezing started. I never put it in again. Status changes itself anyway. I'm just interested is it also Knox flag has been changed because of freezing up.
If the phone is rooted already, can you please PM me with IMEI number then I can check for you what the problem and why is rooted by now.

dvavajiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by exprxp View Post
If the phone is rooted already, can you please PM me with IMEI number then I can check for you what the problem and why is rooted by now.
I would be extremely happy if you find why this phone is rooted. But first tell me, if guys from repair service had my phone physically, my imei and serial numbers, they could look up the phone any way they wanted and they stated that it is not possible to say why, when or who rooted my phone and what is the problem, so how are you actually going to check this by knowing just imei number?!

exprxp
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
I would be extremely happy if you find why this phone is rooted. But first tell me, if guys from repair service had my phone physically, my imei and serial numbers, they could look up the phone any way they wanted and they stated that it is not possible to say why, when or who rooted my phone and what is the problem, so how are you actually going to check this by knowing just imei number?!
i could check in a system what they have done.

nicholaschum
Old
Thanks Meter 1,067

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hi again,
my phone has been at services twice already.

Firstly was Samsung official repair service, I posted phone in secure bag with a message explaining what happened, but after two weeks I got it back with notice "it is rooted, no warranty repair". They said, could do it for 150!

Secondly I found other official repair service, where you can bring the phone in person. That is Geek Squad in Carphone Warehouse stores, I found one in Glasgow, Scotland. The guys were very pleased to help, and promised that though the warranty is voided they are going to repair it.

They were going to fix it in three days, but unfortunately they couldn't find what cause the phone freeze up. What they done is sent it to their repair centre near Birmingham, but there phone was refused to be repaired because the same reason - warranty void. When I came to collect the phone in Glasgow on Saturday 8th of March I was able to speak to one of this guys and he explained me they can't make phone working properly. Even while talking with him phone was not responding sometimes and we had to take the battery off a few times. He gave the phone to other engineer to look up again. He opened it and stated that he didn't see any damage in the phone and couldn't actually find the fault, it seemed like the phone should work fine, but it is not. They have flashed my phone with Official Samsung's software (they couldn't change the Knox flag to 0x0) and sent me with it to the seller (Phones4U).

I have taken my phone home and the device was working fine for about two hours, it does that when is not so warm. I only wanted to check is it going to freeze up again. So I played some video to heat up the phone and it stopped responding again. I took off battery and left it overnight.

Next day afternoon I pick up my phone, power it on, and I was trying to check is it possible to update the software when it is official one (that might solve the problem). I could only see the message saying your device is modified, cannot update. I checked it in download mode, and the phone was back from official to custom software!
There was no my contribution in it. The phone did it itself.

So I can conclude that if phone is changing software status from official to custom when this fault comes out, it could also change the status of Knox Warranty Void from 0x0 to 0x1. If that is true, I will have a long way to prove that. But now I'm sure that no person is responsible for tripping the flag in this phone, that could be done by the phone itself.

That is very weird! That means Samsung is putting some extra security (KNOX) to their devices which can cause the phone to be out of warranty when some fault like overheating exists!

Any ideas?
Well first of all don't give your IMEI to ANYONE you can't trust. One day you might suddenly lose connection and realize you got blacklisted on a network.

The repair center surely can get a lawsuit up their ass. All you need to do is pretend you have no idea what root is, and when they reject your warranty because of their doing, ask to speak with the manager and issue a complaint.

As you know, Samsung won't intentionally change your KNOX value because they're unhappy with you, especially if you didn't attempt to root it.

A most likely scenario is that wherever you sent the phone for service, they didn't check MD5 values for the files they flashed in Odin, which may have caused the KNOX Warranty Void to go from 0x0 to 0x1.

You should try flashing stock 4.4.2 by yourself, verifying all MD5 values and flashing it using Odin. Since it's KNOX 0x1 already, you have nothing to lose at this point. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2614787&page=4

Use post 2 for the download links.
Problem with ROM? Try this or ask me on G+!
Root/TWRP/Kernel/ROM and KNOX 0x0 on N900W8? My guide.

Primary Phone: OnePlus One - A0001
Mahdi v2.7 23/08, ak v34, TWRP 2.7.1.1

Secondary Phone: Note 3 - SM-N900W8
Temasek UO v128, Temasek v3.93, TWRP 2.7.1, NA2 BL, NB7 CP, 0x0

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012)

OnePlus One ◆ Note 3 ◆ Xperia Tab P ◆ Nexus 7 ◆ Note II LTE ◆ S III LTE ◆ One X ◆ Note I ◆ Galaxy Nexus ◆ S II LTE ◆ S II

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 57
if the phone is freezing randomly, it could mean something is corrupting data/code as it is being processed. If that's the case some data in the firmware could have changed and the checksum didn't match during update causing knox flag trip. So samsung service people could have tripped the flag accidentally, without realizing it, or they just don't want to bother, because shouldn't they check the flag before doing anything?
Anyhow, I would fight them, why should you pay for broken phone falsely tripping flag?

dvavajiva
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So, finally the Phones4U is going to replace my phone. I will probably never know what happened with this phone.
Thanks for the ideas about md5 sum, that might be the problem, because even phone is changing its status from official to custom it shouldn't trip the knox flag. I wish that is true so I am sure I will never lose my warranty when using the swapped new one.

swagatsourav
Old
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So, finally the Phones4U is going to replace my phone. I will probably never know what happened with this phone.
Thanks for the ideas about md5 sum, that might be the problem, because even phone is changing its status from official to custom it shouldn't trip the knox flag. I wish that is true so I am sure I will never lose my warranty when using the swapped new one.
As far as i know, with my experience, ANOVO service center is horrible when it comes to warranty repair. Samsung used to have a service center run by regenersis, they were absolutely brilliant. My friend owns a shop and i send so many phones in for repair to Samsung. Initially 3 years back i had problems with that service center and i asked Samsung to switch me some one else and they put me through to regenersis. From that day untill 2 months back , i never had a single complain against them in nearly 100's of warranty repair. I Feb this year samsung ended their contract with them and they are now back to ANOVO. and now i have again started to have problem.

Issues like you would send in your phones for repair without any physical damage and they would get rejected quoting some stupid excessive pressure and those lame excuses.

I have now switched to UNI-PART which is another authorized service center and they its still initial days before i can comment. But i would fore sure mill regenersis. HTC are still with regenersis and trust me guys the after sales services in UK at least is immaculate simply because of that service centre.

I voice my anger to samsung rep of ending their contract with regenersis but i can understand its Samsung's management decision and customer care has no say on it.

I think Samsung has shot themselves on their own foot by parting away with regenersis.

For me i would never go to ANOVO again whatever may happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to swagatsourav For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dvavajiva
Old
(Last edited by dvavajiva; 15th March 2014 at 04:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagatsourav View Post
As far as i know, with my experience, ANOVO service center is horrible when it comes to warranty repair. Samsung used to have a service center run by regenersis, they were absolutely brilliant. My friend owns a shop and i send so many phones in for repair to Samsung. Initially 3 years back i had problems with that service center and i asked Samsung to switch me some one else and they put me through to regenersis. From that day untill 2 months back , i never had a single complain against them in nearly 100's of warranty repair. I Feb this year samsung ended their contract with them and they are now back to ANOVO. and now i have again started to have problem.

Issues like you would send in your phones for repair without any physical damage and they would get rejected quoting some stupid excessive pressure and those lame excuses.

I have now switched to UNI-PART which is another authorized service center and they its still initial days before i can comment. But i would fore sure mill regenersis. HTC are still with regenersis and trust me guys the after sales services in UK at least is immaculate simply because of that service centre.

I voice my anger to samsung rep of ending their contract with regenersis but i can understand its Samsung's management decision and customer care has no say on it.

I think Samsung has shot themselves on their own foot by parting away with regenersis.

For me i would never go to ANOVO again whatever may happen.
That is very helpful sort of information. Thanks.
If I ever have any problems with my device I would chose Geek Squad again. Their service surprised me. They had no business in helping me when my phone was out of warranty, but anyway they opened the phone and check it again.
Finally they flashed it with original software. Thanks to that I solved the problem.
That was enough for me to say "thumbs up for the Geek Squad".