Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 42,375 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backing up Rom with Safestrap when running KitKat

Tip us?

chrispyutec
Old
(Last edited by chrispyutec; 13th March 2014 at 05:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default [Q] Backing up Rom with Safestrap when running KitKat

Anyone know if it's possible to do a backup with safestrap and flash a different KitKat rom? I'm currently on a KitKat rom, but what if I wanted to flash a different KitKat rom and not want to lose my stuff? When I mean lose my stuff, I'm talking about losing my rom setup...not text, logs etc. Basically I'm asking how to backup with safestrap like we did on jellybean since safestrap hasn't been updated to work with KitKat.

If it's possible, could someone share the how to steps?

Thanks in advance.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Current Phones: Note 3, S4, AT&T S5, TMO S5, & LG G2 . Yes, I'm a phone junkie because I switch between all of my phones and never let them totally die.

Phones sitting on standby in a drawer: iCrap5, iCrap4, Note 1, SGS2, HTC Vivid, Note 2, S3, LG G Pro

My one and only tablet....The awesome Galaxy note 10.1

sandman7793
Old
Thanks Meter 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispyutec View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to do a backup with safestrap and flash a different KitKat rom? I'm currently on a KitKat rom, but what if I wanted to flash a different KitKat rom and not want to lose my stuff?

If it's possible, could someone share the how to steps.

Thanks in advance.
You can back up texts, call logs, etc. With super backup from playstore. Then make sure pictures are on external sd card. Backup apps with titanium backup.

Then follow guides on installing other rom. Once your up and running reinstall titanium backup, restore apps that you want. Restore logs and texts etc with super backup.

Safe strap backs up the whole rom. So that will do you no good for installing texts and such back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
A bOy StUcK iN a ManS BoDy..

TF101 Rooted KatKissing it!!! OC 1400

Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2, Sons rocking it now!

AT&T Samsung GN3 Rooted SS DynamicKat

Agent
Old
Thanks Meter 349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispyutec View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to do a backup with safestrap and flash a different KitKat rom? I'm currently on a KitKat rom, but what if I wanted to flash a different KitKat rom and not want to lose my stuff? When I mean lose my stuff, I'm talking about losing my rom setup...not text, logs etc. Basically I'm asking how to backup with safestrap like we did on jellybean since safestrap hasn't been updated to work with KitKat.

If it's possible, could someone share the how to steps?

Thanks in advance.
You can't do a NANDROID backup at this time. You can use Titanium Backup to backup everything on your phone (app+data, text, call log, etc) If you restore it to a different ROM make sure not to restore system apps because that can cause some conflicts.

graydiggy
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2133

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
You can't do a NANDROID backup at this time. You can use Titanium Backup to backup everything on your phone (app+data, text, call log, etc) If you restore it to a different ROM make sure not to restore system apps because that can cause some conflicts.

Yes and no... You can't do a full nandroid. But you can use SS to backup all the essentials to get your ROM Back up if you restore it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Lost in a paper bag again...