Kitkat and SD Card issues

Search This thread

henreeg

Aug 31, 2010
Miami
So recently the GNote 3 got the Kitkat update. A lot of users cannot write/delete into the external, and many apps stopped working.
Does the Note Pro have this same issue?

extrememonkey

Oct 13, 2010
It's a mixture of Google and Samsung that have stopped this.

Google changed the write permissions and Samsung didn't change them.

If you root it is as simple as changing one line in one file

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
Ok, I mean what is the use of having external memory if you can not write it ?

I can not use cloud storage may sound nice but my ISP gives me almost nothing for data and charges a fortune for what little they give me.

Easy to fix if you root.
It is easy to root too, but rooting trips Knox, are we to take a chance nothing goes wrong with our devices?

Rooting is great, use Titanium Backup to freeze and uninstall "bloat", but I keep reading about Knox.

Seen the solution, edit a file only thing the next people in the thread said the solution does not work.

You should still be able to attach the card to your PC copy files ?

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Currently have a card in the microSD slot, rooted tab, edited build.prop. I'm able to see both internal and external SD Card locations when plugged in via USB to my PC. I'm also able to read files placed there from within the applications that I use. Things that I've tried include exporting files to the external microSD from one program and deleting them using another, dragging and dropping from my PC to external card and then accessing the files from within various applications on the tablet.

Android.Ninja

Jan 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

☆☆☆I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all!☆☆☆

Instructions are below in red text. You must be rooted & follow them exactly!

5. Restart.
;)

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tee1979

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
☆☆☆I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all!☆☆☆

5. Restart.
;)

Rooting means Knox = 1 why would I want to throw out my warranty on a device I paid $750 for? That is an awful big risk
3. means nothing to people that never done this "Add an additional group definition for this permission", really and how do you do that?

My question is this ( I know what board this is ) but nobody has an issue rooting even if it means no warranty?

Reactions: stondec100

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010

I guess with all the Smartphones and Tablets I owned, ask myself how many times did I actually claim Warranty?
Maybe I should just man up, use chainfire and call it a day, but step 3 still seem vague to me, I think the original thread for this fix is on the Note 2 forum and I they have a picture what the file should look like after it has been edited.

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
My question is this ( I know what board this is ) but nobody has an issue rooting even if it means no warranty?

I've rooted every device I've owned and I've never had any reason to file a warranty claim on any of them. Before I root I do spend a few days pushing my machine to the limit and attempting to crash it through abnormal use. If it functions as expected, I root. It took me about eight hours before I decided to go ahead and root the 12.2. :)

Also, http://dl.xda-developers.com/attach.../2/7/7/8/3/Screenshot_2014-01-20-17-52-22.jpg

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Rooting means Knox = 1 why would I want to throw out my warranty on a device I paid $750 for? That is an awful big risk
3. means nothing to people that never done this "Add an additional group definition for this permission", really and how do you do that?

This helped me decide to root.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2676425

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

KestrelX

Nov 23, 2012

I buy Squaretrade warranties for all of my gadgets.

Reactions: Android.Ninja

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Maybe I should just man up, use chainfire and call it a day, but step 3 still seem vague to me, I think the original thread for this fix is on the Note 2 forum and I they have a picture what the file should look like after it has been edited.

Shouldn't be any different.

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617921

picture.php

Reactions: Android.Ninja

Android.Ninja

Jan 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

If you are so worried about your warranty why not go and buy a Square Trade warranty. Doesn't matter if you root or whatever, they'll still warranty it. ;)

3. If you read use that little search button you be surprised what you can discover.

Your question about rooting has already been asked time and time again, and guess what, there's also a proper forum for that as well.
Seems to me you bought this device because it was new and shiny, lol. Maybe you might want to search a little harder before posting next time. :p

Reactions: Duly.noted

Heppieboeddah

Feb 14, 2008
I guess with all the Smartphones and Tablets I owned, ask myself how many times did I actually claim Warranty?

Well if one is afraid loosing warranty. Do not root or edit. Peronally i nver had to claim warranty so i dont know what will happen if i have to..:cowboy:

But if one does excactly what is described. Nothing will go wrong. If you edit the file with rootexplorer it will make a backup, so if something goes wrong you are always able to restore the original file.

In this post you find what to edit

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51110595&postcount=13&nocache=1&z=9764604920055718

Reactions: AstroDigital

nvan7891

Jan 9, 2012
I just popped in a 32gb Sony SD card, and successfully copied over some files without issue. I have root. I wonder why only some devices are having this issue?

On the decision to root - for me, personally, the device isn't worth the money it cost unless it's rooted. Maybe I'm spoiled, but after not having used a single phone or tablet without it since my OG Droid, I cant imagine not having it. I tend to baby my electronics, often to an excess. That usually only lasts for the first year, though. By that time, I'm already eyeing something new and a lot of warranties are no longer valid. With phones I've always gotten insurance, so I could drop it off a cliff onto a landmine and replace it for 50 bucks.

Having a Riff box is nice as well. I doubt it supports this tablet yet, but it has more than paid for itself by fixing a few bricked phones. I was able to reverse a Knox upgrade on one if my s3's. According to this, even with Jtag it is impossible to reverse the warranty bit. Bummer. I'd still recommend one to anyone who runs the risk of bricking something on a near daily basis.

I will add, though, that I encountered something new while trying to perform an adb backup today. When I tried to "adb root" it says "adb cannot run as root in production devices." I can use su inside an adb shell, though.

Last edited:

Android.Ninja

Jan 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
I have not rooted and have a note pro 12.2 Wi-Fi-only 64gb model and do NOT have any issues with writing to or deleting from an external sd card (fat32 64gb U1 official Samsung card)

I'm curious as to why I am not having this problem while others are...
my firmware is NAE

zaptoons

Nov 26, 2011
Los Angeles
www.zaptoons.com
I have not rooted and have a note pro 12.2 Wi-Fi-only 64gb model and do NOT have any issues with writing to or deleting from an external sd card (fat32 64gb U1 official Samsung card)

I'm curious as to why I am not having this problem while others are...
my firmware is NAE

Depends on what you're using to write or delete.

For example, try with file managers.

Using the built in My Files, I can write and delete files on the SD card no problem- the app must have read/write permission.

Now install a file manager like X-plore. (personally, my favorite)

Trying to write or delete files on SD fails- it has no access. I've noticed other third party apps are the same.

I'm curious what apps you've using to write/delete with?

Heck, I've noticed even Hancom Office will only save files to its own designated area of the SD card, not just anywhere I want to save.

The other day I was infuriated when I was marking up a PDF using Repligo Reader (file off SD card) and the app failed when trying to save. (I'd forgotten about this when it happened.) Worse, there was no save as and choose a writable location- I just lost what I'd done.

Anyway, I know I can just root and fix this, I just haven't felt like rooting my brand new $750 Note 12.2 yet. I know some people root expensive devices more often than they change underwear, but not all of us do. I'll probably do it, but mainly it just annoys me that Google thinks this insanity is a good idea in the first place. They're getting more and more like Apple- our way or the highway, let's force the user into what we want' nonsense these days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

5. Restart.
    ;)

5. Restart.
    ;)

I buy Squaretrade warranties for all of my gadgets.

Shouldn't be any different.

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617921

picture.php

If you are so worried about your warranty why not go and buy a Square Trade warranty. Doesn't matter if you root or whatever, they'll still warranty it. ;)

3. If you read use that little search button you be surprised what you can discover.

Your question about rooting has already been asked time and time again, and guess what, there's also a proper forum for that as well.
    Seems to me you bought this device because it was new and shiny, lol. Maybe you might want to search a little harder before posting next time. :p