Two Years Later

Search This thread

dragonzkiller

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2011
Wouldn't You Like To Know?
Wow. I can't believe it's been this long that I've had this phone. The DroidX2, MB870, or whatever you want to call it has been a huge part of my life for the past two years. As strange as that may sound, you all know that it is true. I was sitting at my desk today, staring at it plugged into my computer when nostalgia'd hard core to the first day I got this phone and did the same thing. I thought back to all the things I went through for this phone (and for you guys) and how much I've learned. It's been through hell and probably worse but all in good fun.

I know that I had never really been a "consistent" developer by any means. Dropping in and out of chats, disappearing for months on end, but one thing that never left my side was this phone. When I got it back then I knew that I wanted to hack it, play with it, develop for it, change it, mold it, whatever. And I think I did just that. Not as much as a wanted to, not as much as I think I could have done, but boy did I have fun doing it. I remember building CyanogenMod 7.0-RC1 on a really old Toshiba with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM just trying to figure out how to even begin to make a ROM for this phone. It was painful. I remember my first SBF attempt failed because I didn't have my battery charged (now I have two phones and 3 batteries).

The first real thing I did was trying to tear apart the SBFs from a few similar phones and looking through the CDT tables for any answer to unlocking the phone. We never did find that answer (well... maybe, but that's a different story) but I wasn't going to be discouraged. The first real development effort I put into the X2 was with navendrob porting over the pull down settings from the new (still Gingerbread) Atrix ROMs. I tore through smali code, XML files, copying and pasting chunks of code from all over. And then, it happened. I got the pull downs to show up and work. I was incredibly excited (and I showed it all over the IRC) of what I had accomplished. Although this wasn't the first real effort on the X2 as keep in mind that many of us were using Eclipse at the time, I was incredibly happy that it was the first real development for the X2.

SIDE NOTE: I'm incredibly proud of nitroglycerin33. He took his experience from themeing (theming?) the X2 and brought it out to be a widely used ROM on MANY different devices. So props to him for achieving more than I have.

I went on to try to work on getting real ROMs working on the X2. This was around the time we started getting 2nd-init working (the magic behind most of the Motorola ROMs at the time). I remember the first time I got it working. All I did was set one property (something like does.this.work=1) and seeing it show up. But besides randomly popping up in the forums, I started working on ClockworkMod Recovery (which I barely got working, but never fully functional). At this time I created my Twitter account and posted this picture. The date was November 16, 2011 (wow). But I knew that I had to get 2nd-init working better before I could fully get CWMR fully working and updated everyone with why it was so hard to get working.

So I set out to get CyanogenMod actually working from a complete build from scratch (not some hacked Atrix thing) and I posted my progress in the development forum. With the help of my guinea pig Moonshadow-NM doing my actual ROM tests, I watched as we slowly got to the boot animation, and to the home screen. You cannot believe how excited I was. There were so many flaws, that it was barely usable, but I was so happy (I think I scared my roommate from all the excitement). I slowly worked out the kinks, and it's still perhaps the most stable ROM that the X2 has (although I love Jellybean and won't go back to CM7 despite the issues I have).

And the rest is history. I remember holding "release events" for my ROMs. Teasing everyone with new updates, features, fixes, you name it. The IRC chat room would be packed with people waiting for me to post the link. And I was excited to see where we would go. And even if we didn't go very far, we still went on (mostly) as a team. Through ICS, and now JB, I tried to provide what Motorola refused to give.

So this is my thank you to all of you. Past, and (very few) present. You all have helped me through my craziness and issues with this phone and I can never thank you guys enough for it all. I never thought I would have "internet friends" but you guys sure as hell came close. This isn't the end of my adventures with Android. I will be getting a new phone (hopefully) in the coming weeks/months and I want to be a vital part of that development community also. I'm keeping my Java/C/C++ skill sharp still by writing a JNI app. I'm not going to release it as it's mainly just for experimental purposes, but it allows me to practice those languages while focusing on SQL database integration, cryptography, and JNI integration in Android.

So from one X2 guy to another: thank you for all you've done, all you do, and all you will do.

Peace,
dragonzkiller

Last edited:

Steve125

Aug 19, 2010
Thank you so much for all your hard work for the x2. You truly made it greater than Motorola could have. The x2 has had a great community with some great people. That is in large part due to the great roms you have released. Can't wait to see what you end up deving for next. Thank you so much from all of us.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Mr_GreenJeans

Jul 17, 2011
Glad I could be there for the ride! Dragon was one of a few people dedicated to making the best of the bastard child that is the Motorola Droid X2. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication. Was always proud to be rocking some dragonzkiller custom on my little moto brick. #DX2GOD

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

motrinHD

Nov 30, 2011
thanks for making my first smartphone ever that much more enjoyable. best of luck on all future endeavors

hggadm3

Oct 3, 2011
Your a hell of a dev dragon, thank you for all you did. You made my dx2 enjoyable and I still use your rom on it as an mp3 player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
It was great seeing you make all of those breakthroughs. I'm fairly certain if you were not a full time student over the course of your X2 dev time, we'd have seen you pull off kexec and custom kernels. You have a never-give-up mentality. Honestly, even after you get a new phone, I'd not be completely surprised to see the tweet, "KLP on DX2", lol.

Anyway, thank you for all you've done. Many people have come along and talked big games, made promises they couldn't keep, went all Melvin on us, etc. You've talked very little game, but always made/make big deliveries.

G2uypie

Oct 25, 2012
Olympia
Thanks for all of your work DZK. I've tried walking through your foot steps with a 4.2.2 port I got working TWICE, but haven't gotten it working again. I hope to someday be as good as you :)

Reactions: rjt69

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Thanks, it was fun watching you go at it all this time.

Sent from my US Cellular Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 beta

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm glad to see this post from you DK. It IS weird to think its been that long. As one of the users who was around back then, I have to say that it was fun seeing the DX2 move from Android version to Android version, even though this phone was stuck on Gingerbread in a lot of ways. Without you, this phone would probably still be stuck on 2.3.5. I have moved on from the DX2 and am in other sections of XDA now, but I will always think of the DX2 community to be the best, most helpful community there was/is. So not only thanks to DK, but thanks to all the DX2 users who made this forum enjoyable to be in. Its like your teenage years...you wish you could go back to that better time, but you know you just cant. At least we have the memories. Cheers.

Last edited:

AKShotgun

Jul 18, 2012
Ohio
Thanks DZK you really made a difference in my android hacking skills so to say. I remember contemplating on getting the Iphone 4s over the droid. Days after i got my X2 i found this site and tried CM7 for the first time. His roms inspired me to make my first port. This was the best fourm even though we didnt have stuff like and unlocked bootloader. The Razr M forum im at right now has NOTHING on this. Good luck on your adventure with a new phone! Bye!

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
dzk you've honestly brought me into my first realm of custom rommage. even though I've moved on since the dx2 I'm still excited by being able to look back on what you accomplished and was able to bring the dx2 to a whole new realm. being able to follow the progress of cm7, cm9, and now cm10 has been an exciting little journey that you and many of the other users (whether devs that were part of your "team" or the regular users like myself). all of you guys kick major ass and are awesome on your own rights. so a huge thank you to you dzk, and the og users who have made this bastard phone's forum awesome!

6Flip9

Jan 22, 2012
Shelton
Its been a great experience with the roms you developed. The Dx2 was my first android phone and no matter how many phones I changed to or roms I load up, it will never compare to how I felt when waiting for a link to pop up with your new / updated peice of art. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bohnsta

Feb 12, 2012
Fredericksburg
The X2 was my first smartphone. I didn't know anything about anything at that time. One day heard about "root", did some research, stumbled across xda. One thing led to the next until I'm looking at a little dude with a skateboard on my screen, waiting for CM7 to boot. I still remember my excitement. Thank you for that DZK, best of luck to you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

appl3mac

Sep 12, 2011
You know I have move on also just recently as most, but I still have my X2. I am saving it for my son to show him with a good education and a little knowlege. He can accomplish almost anything, I never left CM7 needed the stability of what my phone offered for my sons memorys. I never tested the waters of developing. Just a few xml, png, changes to fit my desires.
You have a great deal to offer I hope it takes you far. I still check the X2 threads for new development just because I know you still play with it can't wait to see you hit the "Big Time" with your Talents. Good Luck and Thank You!!!!

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
It really has been over two years! My X2 had the search button wig out exactly 1yr and 3 days after I got it (3 days out of warranty) back in may 2012. Verizon nor Motorola would honor it for being out of warranty. I moved on then, but still checked back as this community is the first android community I joined.

I went through an HTC incredible and a LG Spectrum. Both were nothing compared to what you did with the X2.

After a little tinkering of my own, I got the X2 back up and running. (Took some soldering and precise hand movements to get the search button to work again. When a hardware key malfunctions, the phone will only boot into safe mode). I still use CM7 on my x2 (as an mp3 olater or a GPS unit) and it is on par with this Rezound in speed and responsiveness...

Sad to see you go, but happy you are moving on to bigger and newer projects. Best of luck on your new adventures.

Sent from my Infected Rezound using xda app-developers app

Pixelation

Jan 14, 2012
Jersey
Thanks Bryan, no thanks to aceoyame who totally abandoned the x2 while porting the X2 to MIUI...

THANKS BROTHER

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

iBolski

Dragonzkiller, you made life fun with the X2. CM7 was awesome, as was Eclipse. Kudos for giving Nitro some props as he deserves it as well.

What you did, though, was awesome, Writing the image from scratch and making what was a damn stable ROM for the X2. I kept swapping back and forth between CM7 and Eclipse on the X2.

But, like you, times changed and I moved on. It was time for an upgrade and I needed a phone that had a better upgrade path, so it was with that I moved onto the Droid RAZR MAXX.

I'm still running that phone and probably will for some time since that was my last upgrade available to me. Currently, CM10.2 is being developed for it (4.3 kernel) and it's pretty stable.

Many thanks to you and to ALL the developers out there that put in so much of their time and effort into releasing things for us minions to run on our phones. I've learned a lot about how Android works, but with my full-time programming job, I've never had the time to actually learn it for myself. I still plan on doing so, but it just depends.

In any case, this is why I love the Android community. It's never a dull moment, and definitely, with the X2 and the entire bootloader unlocking fiasco that occurred that one night and caused Ash to go into a drunken tirade on Twitter, who can say the X2 was boring?

BTW, I say with a heavy heart that I no longer have my X2. Wish I did, but I traded it in at Best Buy. Got $75 out of it and used it towards getting my daughter her upgrade to a smartphone. Sadly, I couldn't convince her to go Droid. She went with the fruit, so I guess that's one failure for dear old Dad. ;) Well, two because now my other daughter went to the fruit tree as well, even though I had her use my old OG Droid RAZR until her upgrade came up. I guess she got teased too much since all her friends had iP... oops, almost said the naughty word. You know what I mean! In any case, I do miss the X2. Might have to pick one up one day on eBay or something just to tinker with. Still have my crappy LG Vortex, which was my first Droid phone. I can't even give that one away! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

morphius2036

Sep 4, 2009
G-Vegas
Google Pixel 4 XL
I just want to say thanks to all the hard work the devs have done to make this phone the best it could be.

I have moved on to greener pastures with a Droid Ultra.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sandso9

Jun 5, 2010
IL
Sad this phone never got more. Thanks dragonz for your hard work when i still had this phone!

CCC0180

Mar 12, 2014
Charlotte
New users are still benefiting from your great work

Just wanted to say I am appreciate all the sharing of your work with others. I needed a G3 Verizon phone to work on PagePlus so I just purchased a Droid x2 3/3/2014. I rooted and flashed your CM10a3. I used this phone everyday and its a very useful phone now. I do have battery drain as some have experience but that is minor compared to the usefulness of this phone. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow. I can't believe it's been this long that I've had this phone. The DroidX2, MB870, or whatever you want to call it has been a huge part of my life for the past two years. As strange as that may sound, you all know that it is true. I was sitting at my desk today, staring at it plugged into my computer when nostalgia'd hard core to the first day I got this phone and did the same thing. I thought back to all the things I went through for this phone (and for you guys) and how much I've learned. It's been through hell and probably worse but all in good fun.

I know that I had never really been a "consistent" developer by any means. Dropping in and out of chats, disappearing for months on end, but one thing that never left my side was this phone. When I got it back then I knew that I wanted to hack it, play with it, develop for it, change it, mold it, whatever. And I think I did just that. Not as much as a wanted to, not as much as I think I could have done, but boy did I have fun doing it. I remember building CyanogenMod 7.0-RC1 on a really old Toshiba with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM just trying to figure out how to even begin to make a ROM for this phone. It was painful. I remember my first SBF attempt failed because I didn't have my battery charged (now I have two phones and 3 batteries).

The first real thing I did was trying to tear apart the SBFs from a few similar phones and looking through the CDT tables for any answer to unlocking the phone. We never did find that answer (well... maybe, but that's a different story) but I wasn't going to be discouraged. The first real development effort I put into the X2 was with navendrob porting over the pull down settings from the new (still Gingerbread) Atrix ROMs. I tore through smali code, XML files, copying and pasting chunks of code from all over. And then, it happened. I got the pull downs to show up and work. I was incredibly excited (and I showed it all over the IRC) of what I had accomplished. Although this wasn't the first real effort on the X2 as keep in mind that many of us were using Eclipse at the time, I was incredibly happy that it was the first real development for the X2.

SIDE NOTE: I'm incredibly proud of nitroglycerin33. He took his experience from themeing (theming?) the X2 and brought it out to be a widely used ROM on MANY different devices. So props to him for achieving more than I have.

I went on to try to work on getting real ROMs working on the X2. This was around the time we started getting 2nd-init working (the magic behind most of the Motorola ROMs at the time). I remember the first time I got it working. All I did was set one property (something like does.this.work=1) and seeing it show up. But besides randomly popping up in the forums, I started working on ClockworkMod Recovery (which I barely got working, but never fully functional). At this time I created my Twitter account and posted this picture. The date was November 16, 2011 (wow). But I knew that I had to get 2nd-init working better before I could fully get CWMR fully working and updated everyone with why it was so hard to get working.

So I set out to get CyanogenMod actually working from a complete build from scratch (not some hacked Atrix thing) and I posted my progress in the development forum. With the help of my guinea pig Moonshadow-NM doing my actual ROM tests, I watched as we slowly got to the boot animation, and to the home screen. You cannot believe how excited I was. There were so many flaws, that it was barely usable, but I was so happy (I think I scared my roommate from all the excitement). I slowly worked out the kinks, and it's still perhaps the most stable ROM that the X2 has (although I love Jellybean and won't go back to CM7 despite the issues I have).

And the rest is history. I remember holding "release events" for my ROMs. Teasing everyone with new updates, features, fixes, you name it. The IRC chat room would be packed with people waiting for me to post the link. And I was excited to see where we would go. And even if we didn't go very far, we still went on (mostly) as a team. Through ICS, and now JB, I tried to provide what Motorola refused to give.

So this is my thank you to all of you. Past, and (very few) present. You all have helped me through my craziness and issues with this phone and I can never thank you guys enough for it all. I never thought I would have "internet friends" but you guys sure as hell came close. This isn't the end of my adventures with Android. I will be getting a new phone (hopefully) in the coming weeks/months and I want to be a vital part of that development community also. I'm keeping my Java/C/C++ skill sharp still by writing a JNI app. I'm not going to release it as it's mainly just for experimental purposes, but it allows me to practice those languages while focusing on SQL database integration, cryptography, and JNI integration in Android.

So from one X2 guy to another: thank you for all you've done, all you do, and all you will do.

Peace,
    dragonzkiller
    I'm glad to see this post from you DK. It IS weird to think its been that long. As one of the users who was around back then, I have to say that it was fun seeing the DX2 move from Android version to Android version, even though this phone was stuck on Gingerbread in a lot of ways. Without you, this phone would probably still be stuck on 2.3.5. I have moved on from the DX2 and am in other sections of XDA now, but I will always think of the DX2 community to be the best, most helpful community there was/is. So not only thanks to DK, but thanks to all the DX2 users who made this forum enjoyable to be in. Its like your teenage years...you wish you could go back to that better time, but you know you just cant. At least we have the memories. Cheers.
    Thanks for all of your work DZK. I've tried walking through your foot steps with a 4.2.2 port I got working TWICE, but haven't gotten it working again. I hope to someday be as good as you :)