Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Thinking of buying G Flex - Need some opinions

Tip us?

yasirrfc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Thinking of buying G Flex - Need some opinions

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying LG G flex and looking for some opinions. Im an Xperia Z user and a very satisfied user. I didnt even think of changing my phone and its been with me for a year but the G flex caught my eyes and the main reason why i wanna buy it is because its different and curved. Here are some things that Im not so sure about so if you can help me with it using your experience then Id be grateful

1- Screen quality - now to be honest, im not a tech expert or someone that will look at the screen very closely to find pixels. Im a normal user, i like watching some videos and web browsing. the g flex has got a lot of criticism on the 720p display so what do you guys think in general? im coming from a 1080p display but i dont think ill have a lot of problems with the 720p display? some reviews i read were horendous that u cant even look at the screen its so bad. i know its not that bad. i just want to know if its a good screen that can show videos and pictures nicely. nothing extra extra sharp. also, im using hp envy x2 which is a tablet and laptop hybrid featuring a 720p display. i love it and dont have any problems against the screen. but i dont know whether 11 inch tablet screens are difff from phone screens and if tablet screens are even better at 720p?

2-screen ghosting. this is another thing ive heard a lot but havent heard anything about it from regular users. is screen ghosting a major issue and does it happen regularly? i plan on using it at 60% or + brightness because the battery is huge so will screen ghosting still be present? and is there a fix? is it a deal breaker?

3 Screen bumps- ive seen videos where users show bumps on their screens which lg admitted as well i think its because of flexing the screen. is bumps a regular issue for you guys? if i get a bump, it there a way to fix it or will it stay forever ?

4- Back- someone told me that the back of the device looks cheap and is uncomfortable?

5 Breaking - this might sound weird but did anyone break their device is the curved and flexible screen and design sensitive and will it break if it drops?

6 -Usable- i havent used a 6 inch phone before so this is a general question of whether the phone seems fine in usage? my xperia z is 5 inches but i dont consider it as big at all but do u guys feel that 6 inches is manageable? i had a blackberry playbook once and it was very big at 7 inches and NOT AT ALL something i couuld use as a phone. so how is the 6 inch phone? is it TOO big? or does it seem fine??

Thanks is advance

papa.khan123
Old
Thanks Meter 33
1. Screen is good but grainy, but for videos this is one of the best screens I have held, and the battery timings for watching videos is phenomenal. You can watch unto 20 hours of video on this phone not to mention overall battery timings as well.

2. Ghosting is definitely there and can be a problem at start but you get use to it slowly, I am use to it now though it was a bit annoying at start.

3. No bumps so far and I have flexed it quite often.

4. The back of this phone is the most premium thing about this phone, it's great to hold and though it looks slippery but it is quite wonderful to grip and doesn't slip.

5 No certain answer for breaking cus you can break anything you want but the construction of the phone is quite solid.

6. It's a big phone and can be a problem if you have small hands but as you have mentioned that 7 inches tablet is fine for you then this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Bottom line: the best phone if you are a phablet lover and you can't use anything else.
G2x------- MIUI + Trinity Kernel
Droid 3 --------- Stock
Galaxy Ace ------- CM7 Stable
Xperia X1 -------- In pieces
The Following User Says Thank You to papa.khan123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yasirrfc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa.khan123 View Post
1. Screen is good but grainy, but for videos this is one of the best screens I have held, and the battery timings for watching videos is phenomenal. You can watch unto 20 hours of video on this phone not to mention overall battery timings as well.

2. Ghosting is definitely there and can be a problem at start but you get use to it slowly, I am use to it now though it was a bit annoying at start.

3. No bumps so far and I have flexed it quite often.

4. The back of this phone is the most premium thing about this phone, it's great to hold and though it looks slippery but it is quite wonderful to grip and doesn't slip.

5 No certain answer for breaking cus you can break anything you want but the construction of the phone is quite solid.

6. It's a big phone and can be a problem if you have small hands but as you have mentioned that 7 inches tablet is fine for you then this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Bottom line: the best phone if you are a phablet lover and you can't use anything else.

is ghosting there even at high brightness? i think thats pretty bad if ghosting is always there

mattwheat
Old
Thanks Meter 246
I've had my flex about a month and I haven't seen any burn in or ghosting. Which from my reading should only happen during the first few weeks of device use if at all. I came from a galaxy s4 and I'll tell ya the screen looks as good as the s4 99% of the time I have noticed the grainy look but only on a few pics. Doesn't always look grainy. I think its just certain colors and maybe pic quality that's my opinion.

As far as breaking. I've dropped mine a couple times and its fine. No cracks the back doesn't feel cheap at all. There's a video of a guy hyper extending the phone probably 15 and it didn't break the screen. The LCD I believe is flexible its the rest of the phone is not. And I think you will only see the bumps in the screen if you try flattening it out or hyper extending it like the guy in the video. Which the bumps appeared from internal parts poking the back of the LCD when bent.

Coming from a very speedy Galaxy S4 to this ....
I'm very pleased. Its faster smoother less lag screen just as good to me but bigger which is a good thing.
I love it. I would recommend and buy another.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattwheat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zackhery
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Yes but I hardly even notice the ghosting anymore. I did at first. Really only noticeable for me when using stock sms with dark background in sms and going from white to dark when opening messages.

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Zackhery For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3467

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasirrfc View Post
is ghosting there even at high brightness? i think thats pretty bad if ghosting is always there
Just like so many others, I have not been bothered in any way with ghosting, graininess, or any of the other non sense you have been reading on the internet; all that crap comes from Samsung fan bois, so ignore it..

sounds like you are a lot like me; you don't micro stare at every little aspect of your cell phone, so you will absolutely LOVE this phone; there is a slight blue hue/graininess at times, but moving the brightness up a bit gets rid of it, if it bothers you; it doesn't bother me one bit!

bumps? never heard of it from ANY of the users here. Obviously some idiot abused his phone somehow, and caused something unusual to happen.

how the hell does the back of a device "look cheap"? sounds like more fanbois stupidity..

I've dropped it a couple of times, with no issues to it, so its not like a fragile china vase..

And, if you are ok with your xperia at 5 inches, you won't have any issues with this one...
The Following User Says Thank You to wase4711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandonhatty
Old
Thanks Meter 110
I'm happy with mine so far. I've always used high end Samsung service's. Best performance I've ever had on a phone. Imo there is only one phone in this category that is better and it's. The note 3. But I just wanted to give this a try cause... well I played with it in the store and I really liked it. If somebody talks badly about this they are just super particular.

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brandonhatty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wase4711
Old
Thanks Meter 3467

DONATE TO ME
This phone has a "cool factor" that no other phone out now can match....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wase4711 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkforestmage
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Coming from a long line of Samsung devices that I've enjoyed very much I took a chance on the Flex about a month back because I like to watch a fair amount of video on my phone and thought it might prove superior for this purpose. A month on I'm not disappointed. I love the screen. I keep the brightness up and haven't been disappointed at all with the quality. I don't miss my Note 3's 1080P. I've had no issues with the phone from bending and such and enjoy the feel of the phone in the hand when texting and making calls. The Flex is very fast and the battery lasts forever. Honestly my only complaint and it is a minor one is that the rear of the phone picks up dust and lint easily, I assume due to the coating. This is not a big deal to me. Overall I would easily purchase this phone again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkforestmage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yasirrfc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkforestmage View Post
Coming from a long line of Samsung devices that I've enjoyed very much I took a chance on the Flex about a month back because I like to watch a fair amount of video on my phone and thought it might prove superior for this purpose. A month on I'm not disappointed. I love the screen. I keep the brightness up and haven't been disappointed at all with the quality. I don't miss my Note 3's 1080P. I've had no issues with the phone from bending and such and enjoy the feel of the phone in the hand when texting and making calls. The Flex is very fast and the battery lasts forever. Honestly my only complaint and it is a minor one is that the rear of the phone picks up dust and lint easily, I assume due to the coating. This is not a big deal to me. Overall I would easily purchase this phone again.
did u have ghosting problems?