Well I picked up a Note 12.2 (black/32GB) Friday and well have some mixed feelings considering the cost.
1. Need to root for more multiwindow apps
2. Chrome performance is still lacking - Googles fault, not Samsung's but figured raw performance would address it.
3. Really hate the physical home button and cap buttons more then I even thought I would. Why Samsung thinks this is a good idea beats me!
4. Really don't like that everything is scaled up in size for the larger screen. I realize it's the same resolution as my Nexus 10 but a DPI setting would have addressed this. Just makes it feel cheap and like it's for old people or kids. Need to root to change DPI...
5. Seems Samsung took big step backwards on some S Pen apps. The demos I watch for the previous Note devices work much better and more streamlined then on the Note 12.2. Really not sold on the S Pen and think mine is going back for a Tab Pro 12.2 if it's released soon otherwise maybe just a outright return.
6. Seems really stupid they hide the menu button under the multitask button (long press). I know many apps have a menu button but for those that do not this could really throw off a person who is not resourceful. This is the kind of crap that backs up the idea that an iPad is easier to use.
7. Definitely some random lag. Why does Samsung need to over bloat everything. stock Android fits in like 300MB and TW Android is like 8GB!
8. Very limited development activity!
I probably have more to say just not coming to mind yet. If I keep it I simply have to root in order to address the DPI and multi-window apps. It's an expensive device to give up warranty on... Only on day 3, we'll see how the next few go...
1. No you don't there is an app for that.
2. Chrome sucks on anything. It literally is the worst. Dolphin and others can sync with desktop chrome and dolphin supports flash. You lost all credibility the moment you complained about chrome.
3. Samsung intends for it to be used mostly in portrait they are nice when used with a keyboard. But its ok to dislike it
4 . It's a bigger screen of course they made things bigger. It makes sense. If you want a smaller launcher use a different launcher. Or just root and adjust your dpi. Buy a third party protection plan like square trade and you dont have to worry about your warranty.
5. The spen apps have gotten better. Look around the forums. Many people had the old 10.1 and upon switching hated the new ones but have come to prefer the new apps. And if you "arent sold on the spen" why the #*@% did you pay extra for it?
6. Google has been pushing to get rid of the menu button. Samsung and some chinese oems are the only ones that still have it and samsung is the ONLY one that gives you the apps button and menu button. All apps should have an overflow in kitkat and samsung gives you this. 2 ways to get to a menu!! Dont you feel lucky!!
7. This device does not lag period. Ive only observed very slight jumps in graphics (the drop down bar almost exclusively) it is extremely smooth out of the box even before rooting and disabling apps. Your whining about a minor easily fixed graphical complaint (force gpu rendering and disable some bloat, no root required) which apparently ruins the entire tablet for you. As for bloat everything has bloat. When was thr last time you bought an LG phone or an iphone or hell even a nexus. Just so you know STOCK ANDROID DOESNT COME WITH GAPPS!!! So even nexus is bloat ridden. Samsung adds alot of functional applications. Most of the "bloat" is actually extremely useful if you are a business minded person. And you can disable alot of it. Just root and uninstall!
8. It is a 750 dollar 12 inch tablet with identical specs to a 500 dollar tablet and similar to some 350 dollar tablets. What do you expect devs (most that do this as a hobby) to just go running to best buy and grabbing it up? Also you keep complaining about rooting but you want dev activity which would mostly require root. Are you serious? Your like a bad tech reviewer that just found out rooting exists and cant device to hate or love it. If you want more dev activity buy another one and give it away to your favorite developer.
So in conclusion you dont know why you bought this tablet (Im thinking "ooh its big and shiny!!!" Had something to do with it) you didnt read the forums to see that the spen apps have been improved or that many of your complaints (ui lag and multiwindow apps) could be easily fixed, and your bipolar about rooting. I suggest you return it and purchase an ipad air. It might be a bit closer to your level.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app