Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more
Post Reply

[Q] How to root Note 3 with tripping Knox

OP dark$hadow

30th January 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
I have a new Note 3 with 4.3. I'd like to do the following things:

* update to 4.4.2 (is it better to stay with 4.3 if I care about the other things I'm going to enumerate here?)
* root it, I don't care about knox
* remove most of Samsung bloatware (I like the clock and the pen stuff and would like to keep them) - does titanium backup still work for this, what do I have to care about to not brick the phone?
* install adblock and afwall
* all that without the need for a samsung online account

Are there any step-by-step instructions for these things, especially for rooting?

Phone data:
AP: N9005XXUDMJ6
CP: N9005XXUDMJ4
CSC: N9005VFGDMJ1
SELinux: SEPF_SM-N9005_4.3_0011
30th January 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #2  
FeralFire's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 210
 
461 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark$hadow

I have a new Note 3 with 4.3. I'd like to do the following things:

* update to 4.4.2 (is it better to stay with 4.3 if I care about the other things I'm going to enumerate here?)
* root it, I don't care about knox
* remove most of Samsung bloatware (I like the clock and the pen stuff and would like to keep them) - does titanium backup still work for this, what do I have to care about to not brick the phone?
* install adblock and afwall
* all that without the need for a samsung online account

Are there any step-by-step instructions for these things, especially for rooting?

Phone data:
AP: N9005XXUDMJ6
CP: N9005XXUDMJ4
CSC: N9005VFGDMJ1
SELinux: SEPF_SM-N9005_4.3_0011

1) Sure. Update to Kitkat. I have only positive things to say about the official kitkat ROM.
2) You can root it (tripping knox would become mandatory).
3) Titanium works perfectly.
4) You just need root for that.
5) You don't need a Samsung account for anything except using Samsung apps. I haven't used it yet.

Here is a nice guide for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614787
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FeralFire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFire

1) Sure. Update to Kitkat. I have only positive things to say about the official kitkat ROM.
2) You can root it (tripping knox would become mandatory).
3) Titanium works perfectly.
4) You just need root for that.
5) You don't need a Samsung account for anything except using Samsung apps. I haven't used it yet.

Here is a nice guide for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614787

Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...

1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
2) Using cf-auto-root worked fine.
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.

Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?
8th February 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #4  
ultramag69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577
 
4,467 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark$hadow

Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...

1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
2) Using cf-auto-root worked fine.
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.

Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?

Most languages are in the stock roms....
If you do update to KK make sure re-activation lock is OFF... This applies to custom roms too as it can brick your phone otherwise...
8th February 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #5  
FeralFire's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 210
 
461 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark$hadow

Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...

1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
2) Using cf-auto-root worked fine.
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.

Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?

To remove Knox, goto Settings, General, Applications, All.
Disable all Knox apps.
That's what I have done. No issues with it. And it is completely reversible if you run into any problems.
8th March 2014, 10:40 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Most things work fine, and I like the handwriting recognition. Apart from that, I did not find much use for the pen, except it is a nice gimmick.

I have one problem which seems related to adaway and supersu: Applying the new hosts file sometimes takes very long. And I suspect it to cause battery drain thereafter. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? My solution at the moment is to apply the hosts file and then restart the phone immediately.
8th March 2014, 11:11 AM   |  #7  
ione2380's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brasov
Thanks Meter: 21
 
104 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
You can remove knox with titanium 'couse if rooted then knox will not work anymore, so there is no point in keeping it!

Sent from Note 3 Superphone!
16th March 2014, 12:59 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark$hadow

I have one problem which seems related to adaway and supersu: Applying the new hosts file sometimes takes very long. And I suspect it to cause battery drain thereafter. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? My solution at the moment is to apply the hosts file and then restart the phone immediately.

I'm not sure it had anything to do with adaway and supersu. I've greenified adaway, and the issue still persisted. Now I've removed many Samsung pre-installed system apps (samsung account, camera test, bluetooth test, factory test, scrapbook etc.) and do no longer experience the battery drain. Let's see in a week or so.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank