Originally Posted by FeralFire
1) Sure. Update to Kitkat. I have only positive things to say about the official kitkat ROM.
2) You can root it (tripping knox would become mandatory).
3) Titanium works perfectly.
4) You just need root for that.
5) You don't need a Samsung account for anything except using Samsung apps. I haven't used it yet.
Here is a nice guide for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614787
Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...
1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
2) Using cf-auto-root worked fine.
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.
Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?