Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How to root Note 3 with tripping Knox

OP dark$hadow

30th January 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

33 posts
I have a new Note 3 with 4.3. I'd like to do the following things:

* update to 4.4.2 (is it better to stay with 4.3 if I care about the other things I'm going to enumerate here?)
* root it, I don't care about knox
* remove most of Samsung bloatware (I like the clock and the pen stuff and would like to keep them) - does titanium backup still work for this, what do I have to care about to not brick the phone?
* install adblock and afwall
* all that without the need for a samsung online account

Are there any step-by-step instructions for these things, especially for rooting?

Phone data:
AP: N9005XXUDMJ6
CP: N9005XXUDMJ4
CSC: N9005VFGDMJ1
SELinux: SEPF_SM-N9005_4.3_0011
30th January 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 212

473 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark$hadow

I have a new Note 3 with 4.3. I'd like to do the following things:

* update to 4.4.2 (is it better to stay with 4.3 if I care about the other things I'm going to enumerate here?)
* root it, I don't care about knox
* remove most of Samsung bloatware (I like the clock and the pen stuff and would like to keep them) - does titanium backup still work for this, what do I have to care about to not brick the phone?
* install adblock and afwall
* all that without the need for a samsung online account

Are there any step-by-step instructions for these things, especially for rooting?

Phone data:
AP: N9005XXUDMJ6
CP: N9005XXUDMJ4
CSC: N9005VFGDMJ1
SELinux: SEPF_SM-N9005_4.3_0011

1) Sure. Update to Kitkat. I have only positive things to say about the official kitkat ROM.
2) You can root it (tripping knox would become mandatory).
3) Titanium works perfectly.
4) You just need root for that.
5) You don't need a Samsung account for anything except using Samsung apps. I haven't used it yet.

Here is a nice guide for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614787
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FeralFire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th February 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFire

1) Sure. Update to Kitkat. I have only positive things to say about the official kitkat ROM.
2) You can root it (tripping knox would become mandatory).
3) Titanium works perfectly.
4) You just need root for that.
5) You don't need a Samsung account for anything except using Samsung apps. I haven't used it yet.

Here is a nice guide for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614787

Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...

1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
2) Using cf-auto-root worked fine.
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.

Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?
8th February 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #4  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 578

4,474 posts
Quote:

Thanks for your reply, I finally got to it and are now a happy root user. However,...

1) I have not updated to kitkat yet, but decided to stay with 4.3 for the moment and only root it, to become a bit more acquainted with the device. I wonder whether that kitkat version you posted will work with my language?
3) Restoring my apps and data using titanium backup also worked without any problems, except the phone imported the contact on the sim in a nasty way, making a mess of my address book. It will take me some time to tidy that up.

Is it safe to remove Knox using Titanium Backup uninstall? I'm using the free version only, so freezing is not available. Has anyone done it and can confirm it doesn't cause any problems? On another thread I've read that uninstalling knox could leave you with a broken device, I hope that's not true?

Most languages are in the stock roms....
If you do update to KK make sure re-activation lock is OFF... This applies to custom roms too as it can brick your phone otherwise...
8th February 2014, 07:43 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 212

473 posts
More
Quote:

To remove Knox, goto Settings, General, Applications, All.
Disable all Knox apps.
That's what I have done. No issues with it. And it is completely reversible if you run into any problems.
8th March 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

33 posts
Most things work fine, and I like the handwriting recognition. Apart from that, I did not find much use for the pen, except it is a nice gimmick.

I have one problem which seems related to adaway and supersu: Applying the new hosts file sometimes takes very long. And I suspect it to cause battery drain thereafter. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? My solution at the moment is to apply the hosts file and then restart the phone immediately.
8th March 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #7  
Flag Brasov
Thanks Meter: 21

109 posts
More
You can remove knox with titanium 'couse if rooted then knox will not work anymore, so there is no point in keeping it!

Sent from Note 3 Superphone!
16th March 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:

I have one problem which seems related to adaway and supersu: Applying the new hosts file sometimes takes very long. And I suspect it to cause battery drain thereafter. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? My solution at the moment is to apply the hosts file and then restart the phone immediately.

I'm not sure it had anything to do with adaway and supersu. I've greenified adaway, and the issue still persisted. Now I've removed many Samsung pre-installed system apps (samsung account, camera test, bluetooth test, factory test, scrapbook etc.) and do no longer experience the battery drain. Let's see in a week or so.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread