Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

How to view contents from extrnl 1tb hrdDrive

OP ganggreen777

16th March 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #1  
ganggreen777's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80
 
761 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Is there a way I can view my movies that are stored on my external hard drive through chromecast?
I travel extensively and I do not carry a laptop (if I did, yes simple hdmi into the tv) but I don't have that luxury. I have a tf300 and nex 7-2013 and rooted n2
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ganggreen777; 16th March 2014 at 07:15 PM.
17th March 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #2  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872
 
2,234 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganggreen777

Is there a way I can view my movies that are stored on my external hard drive through chromecast?
I travel extensively and I do not carry a laptop (if I did, yes simple hdmi into the tv) but I don't have that luxury. I have a tf300 and nex 7-2013 and rooted n2

Your TF300 doesn't have HDMI output? My wife's original Transformer has Mini-HDMI. Add cheap adapter or Mini-to-regular HDMI cable and it has HDMI to TV.

Do either of your devices support attached USB storage? If so, one of the apps that supports casting of device-local media would work - Avia, AllCast, RealPlayer Cloud...

You may not be able to cast all your media, especially if it's not in a Chromecast-compatible format, so if you have HDMI output, it's much less headache and more versatile (play way more formats with MX Player, etc), save for being wired.
17th March 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #3  
Jnewell05's Avatar
Senior Member
Texas
Thanks Meter: 49
 
390 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
Use a micro usb otg cable to mount as storage to your android phone, may require a special kernel, and Allcast/Chromecast combo to stream to the tv should do the trick. Course I haven't tried mounting a huge hard drive to my nexus. But a small 32gb flash stick works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jnewell05; 17th March 2014 at 04:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jnewell05 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #4  
ganggreen777's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80
 
761 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga

Your TF300 doesn't have HDMI output? My wife's original Transformer has Mini-HDMI. Add cheap adapter or Mini-to-regular HDMI cable and it has HDMI to TV.

Do either of your devices support attached USB storage? If so, one of the apps that supports casting of device-local media would work - Avia, AllCast, RealPlayer Cloud...

You may not be able to cast all your media, especially if it's not in a Chromecast-compatible format, so if you have HDMI output, it's much less headache and more versatile (play way more formats with MX Player, etc), save for being wired.

O I definitely plugs my terabyte to the keyboard and plugs hdmi....it works flawlessly. Just trying to figure wirelessly
(I do use ravpower rp_wd01 and airstor .....and plug hdmi from tf300 into tv. Want to use cc while tapping into my terabyte

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
18th March 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #5  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872
 
2,234 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganggreen777

O I definitely plugs my terabyte to the keyboard and plugs hdmi....it works flawlessly. Just trying to figure wirelessly
(I do use ravpower rp_wd01 and airstor .....and plug hdmi from tf300 into tv. Want to use cc while tapping into my terabyte

AllCast, Avia or RealPlayer Cloud should work, but verify it can access your external storage before buying.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
18th March 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #6  
ganggreen777's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 80
 
761 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
I love allcast .....all of these apps read what's in your phone...I'm trying to get my phone or tablets to read my external hd then cast to cc...that's pretty much the crux of what I'm looking to do

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
18th March 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #7  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872
 
2,234 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
External storage is usually handled similar to SD card, as in it's mounted as a folder like /mnt/usb1 or / storage/usbdrive so it's whether the app scans that location. Actually, Avia and probably others let you share to our, so you could use a file manager to browse then share to the casting app.

-= this post enhanced with bonus mobile typos =-
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th March 2014, 02:10 PM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganggreen777

O I definitely plugs my terabyte to the keyboard and plugs hdmi....it works flawlessly. Just trying to figure wirelessly
(I do use ravpower rp_wd01 and airstor .....and plug hdmi from tf300 into tv. Want to use cc while tapping into my terabyte

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Ravpower should be getting a firmware update in April (and there's a new version of the hardware coming too apparently) which will give it DLNA support as well as SMB. That may make things a little simpler for hooking things up.

I must admit I'm in a similar position - I too use a portable HD and a WD01 when travelling, although at the moment it's via my work laptop and Displayport-->HDMI adaptor and cable (I don't plug the HD directly into the laptop as the AV then insists on scanning it, not quick for a 2TB drive). But I'm hoping soon to be able to do something direct using an HDMI dongle of some flavour, DLNA on the WD01 and control via either my Nexus7 or my HTC8X. Other alternative is Avia or similar to read SMB from the WD01 to my Nexus 7 and then cast it out to a CC. But I presume that will tie-up the tablet from being usable for much else whilst doing so? And of course there doesn't seem to be anything for CC on WinPhone8 yet.

A question from my side to people who know (now that Google have released the CC in the UK) - is there any way to do DLNA display with one? I recall reading somewhere that the plex app might work for that, but I'm not sure. Currently in two minds whether to go with a CC or a Chinese DLNA dongle (an EZCast or similar). Most of the time it's used in hotels abroad, so would be for playing local stuff as IP address (and network speed) would stomp iPlayer et al. Any recommendations between the two options from people who have experience or have done similar would be gratefully received.
Last edited by DarrenHill; 19th March 2014 at 02:14 PM.
19th March 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #9  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 872
 
2,234 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHill

The Ravpower should be getting a firmware update in April (and there's a new version of the hardware coming too apparently) which will give it DLNA support as well as SMB. That may make things a little simpler for hooking things up.

I must admit I'm in a similar position - I too use a portable HD and a WD01 when travelling, although at the moment it's via my work laptop and Displayport-->HDMI adaptor and cable (I don't plug the HD directly into the laptop as the AV then insists on scanning it, not quick for a 2TB drive). But I'm hoping soon to be able to do something direct using an HDMI dongle of some flavour, DLNA on the WD01 and control via either my Nexus7 or my HTC8X. Other alternative is Avia or similar to read SMB from the WD01 to my Nexus 7 and then cast it out to a CC. But I presume that will tie-up the tablet from being usable for much else whilst doing so? And of course there doesn't seem to be anything for CC on WinPhone8 yet.

A question from my side to people who know (now that Google have released the CC in the UK) - is there any way to do DLNA display with one? I recall reading somewhere that the plex app might work for that, but I'm not sure. Currently in two minds whether to go with a CC or a Chinese DLNA dongle (an EZCast or similar). Most of the time it's used in hotels abroad, so would be for playing local stuff as IP address (and network speed) would stomp iPlayer et al. Any recommendations between the two options from people who have experience or have done similar would be gratefully received.

Casting from another server using Avia will "tie up" the device and use 3X the media bandwidth on the network (NAS->Device + Device->AP + AP->Chromecast) if the source is NAS, 2X for local media on the device (Device->AP + AP->Chromecast).

To be honest, if you're a regular traveler that needs/wants to play media, a standalone media player like WDTV, Roku, Popcorn Hour,etc would be a better/more convenient solution.

Media Player - 2 or 3 pieces
  • Media Player
  • Storage device
  • Wireless bridge, dongle or router if necessary

Chromecast - 4 pieces
  • Chromecast
  • Storage device
  • Wireless router (using premise wireless usually will not work and even if it does bandwidth will be an issue)
  • Phone/Tablet/Laptop to "drive" Chromecast
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
53 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
True - I think I'm going to go the DLNA dongle route. Had a quick look at a Chromecast this lunchtime at PC World (and a chat with a Google demonstrator). Looks a nice bit of kit to turn a suitable dumb TV into a smart one, but not quite what I want in this case. The media is already on a portable HD, and the Ravpower WD-01 is a portable hotspot anyway, so basically between the two (which I carry anyway) it's a portable NAS (soon with DLNA hopefully).

So once that is in place, the dongle and WD-01 should then form a DLNA pair (as player/renderer and server respectively) with either my N7 or 8X as the controller.

The Chromecast does look nice though generally, albeit rather odd that it doesn't have DLNA/Airplay support generally (although I guess by adding the Plex app you could get something like that?). But I guess that's not quite what they had in mind for it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes