Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 46,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

audio hiss after 4.4.2 update.

Tip us?
 
helppme
Old
#41  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 282
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilpo View Post
Can you turn off the audio effects in the Settings>Sound and test again. Please post back your results.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Just ignore my previous post. I saw that you have already tried those. I was hoping to buy a Sound magic E10 for my moto g. In its product page it is mentioned that it has an impedance of 16ohms. So do you guys think I should go with that buy or save money buy a cheaper one considering E10 might won't give good audio quality with moto g.

I am not an audiophile. I have used a sound magic PL11 with my iPod touch and I have never noticed any hiss or anything. I have was hoping to have a good audio experience with moto g and SM E10 earphone.
the e10 impedence rating will be for it's own in built amplifier, it has nothing to do with its input level. As with any headphone amplifier, the 'usual' method is to set your input level (the phone volume) to about 2 thirds maximum, or higher if safe. This maximises the Signal to Noise ration going into you E10. You then use the E10 as an attenuator/amplifier to drive your headphones. Unless the E10 is also a DAC, but in that case you won't have the hiss from the phones headphone jack anyway..

I hope that made sense. Basically, the 16Ohm issue wont really apply if you are using an external headphone amp
 
vNa5h
Old
#42  
vNa5h's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 629
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by helppme View Post
<<SOLVED>> The moto G Opamp is not very efficient. It struggles to go down to 2Ohm stable. This means average earbud type headphones rated at 16Ohms. will have hiss and other artifacts. Higher impedance headphones. 40-70Ohms have much better sq. Much above 70Ohms and I suspect the Moto G won't be powerful enough to drive them.... so, that's the sweet spot!

what are u talking about.. my pl11 is rated at 12ohms...and i have no hiss sound..just confirmed it in quiet room
Motorola Moto G a.k.a XT1033 a.k.a Falcon
Running Stock KK 4.4.2, Soundmagic PL11 earphones
Quote:
TV Shows / Movies .....I have watched....
Music
...I listen...
 
helppme
Old
#43  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 282
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilpo View Post
Can you turn off the audio effects in the Settings>Sound and test again. Please post back your results.

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Just ignore my previous post. I saw that you have already tried those. I was hoping to buy a Sound magic E10 for my moto g. In its product page it is mentioned that it has an impedance of 16ohms. So do you guys think I should go with that buy or save money buy a cheaper one considering E10 might won't give good audio quality with moto g.

I am not an audiophile. I have used a sound magic PL11 with my iPod touch and I have never noticed any hiss or anything. I have was hoping to have a good audio experience with moto g and SM E10 earphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vNa5h View Post
what are u talking about.. my pl11 is rated at 12ohms...and i have no hiss sound..just confirmed it in quiet room
Without getting into a 'hypothetical debate' I'd strongly urge you to research the subject properly before commenting.

There are 2 possibilities. You have been lucky and have a pair of pl11 that work well with this phone, or (quite likely) your hearing range means you see no problem and hear no hiss. This is consistent with what a lot of others have reported on this thread.

However, if you look through the posts the vast majority that have checked have confirmed my conclusion.

With regards to the PL11, these are budget headphones with relatively poor quality controls. It is very likely that their printed specs differ greatly from they actual specs. Impedence ratings are often misrepresented to allow a manufacture to also list a wider or flatter frequency response. The PL11 would fall into this category.

Shure, Sennheiser, Sony even and some others generally provide accurate specificaitons, because their headphones are used for studio purposes where people would complain immediately if they were off.

I'm not saying you are wrong, what I'm saying is your sample of '1' doesn't mean much in this situation.

I hope you take my reply as it's intended
 
ReaperXL2
Old
(Last edited by ReaperXL2; 16th February 2014 at 09:46 PM.)
#44  
ReaperXL2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 463
Posts: 222
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by helppme View Post
Without getting into a 'hypothetical debate' I'd strongly urge you to research the subject properly before commenting.

There are 2 possibilities. You have been lucky and have a pair of pl11 that work well with this phone, or (quite likely) your hearing range means you see no problem and hear no hiss. This is consistent with what a lot of others have reported on this thread.

However, if you look through the posts the vast majority that have checked have confirmed my conclusion.

With regards to the PL11, these are budget headphones with relatively poor quality controls. It is very likely that their printed specs differ greatly from they actual specs. Impedence ratings are often misrepresented to allow a manufacture to also list a wider or flatter frequency response. The PL11 would fall into this category.

Shure, Sennheiser, Sony even and some others generally provide accurate specificaitons, because their headphones are used for studio purposes where people would complain immediately if they were off.

I'm not saying you are wrong, what I'm saying is your sample of '1' doesn't mean much in this situation.

I hope you take my reply as it's intended

Hey Peeps

Been following this post & just thought I would throw my experience so far in to the mix...

I have a GPE Moto G UK... I am running XenoAmp Beta (latest) alongside ViPERFX... My headphones are JVCKenwood XX (Xtreme Xplosives HA-MR77X) : http://xtreme.jvc.com/spec.html...

Frequency response is : 8-20,000Hz, Nominal Impedance is : 46ohms, Sensitivity is : 113 dB/1mW, Maximum Input Capability is : 1000mW(IEC)...

I have not heard & can not hear any audible hiss of any description when adjusting volumes or listening to audio, either with ViPERFX or without...

I have also tried XenoAmp native EQ & calibration tool without ViPERFX & again, experienced only clean audio without interference at any level...

Maybe this issue is related to the Motorola proprietary software installed along with the 4.4.2 retail release firmware...

GPE Edition Moto G's are completely free of all third party inclusions & may explain the lack of audio issues in my phone...

Just another facet that I think should be investigated...

Motorola DSP may be the Issue, or other Motorola derived software...

Anyway, I wish you all luck solving this issue... If I discover any solution for sufferers of the audio hiss, then I will be sure to inform you peeps asap

ReaperXL2

" Nitrogen *The Resurrection*" by Xperience.Cyanogen : Click Me

+ "PSN Mem Mod V3" OC kernel by @PSNDNA88/Dragonn @921mhz stable
+ D4rkSider Performance Tweaks

If I helped you then hit "Thanks"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReaperXL2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
helppme
Old
#45  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 282
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperXL2 View Post
Hey Peeps

Been following this post & just thought I would throw my experience so far in to the mix...

I have a GPE Moto G UK... I am running XenoAmp Beta (latest) alongside ViPERFX... My headphones are JVCKenwood XX (Xtreme Xplosives HA-MR77X) : http://xtreme.jvc.com/spec.html...

Frequency response is : 8-20,000Hz, Nominal Impedance is : 46ohms, Sensitivity is : 113 dB/1mW, Maximum Input Capability is : 1000mW(IEC)...

I have not heard & can not hear any audible hiss of any description when adjusting volumes or listening to audio, either with ViPERFX or without...

I have also tried XenoAmp native EQ & calibration tool without ViPERFX & again, experienced only clean audio without interference at any level...

Maybe this issue is related to the Motorola proprietary software installed along with the 4.4.2 retail release firmware...

GPE Edition Moto G's are completely free of all third party inclusions & may explain the lack of audio issues in my phone...

Just another facet that I think should be investigated...

Motorola DSP may be the Issue, or other Motorola derived software...

Anyway, I wish you all luck solving this issue... If I discover any solution for sufferers of the audio hiss, then I will be sure to inform you peeps asap

ReaperXL2
cheers for the feedback. This seems to match what others have found. the dsp and other sound fx settings don't help the sound quality and are worth turning off. It sounds like you have found a good set up that works well for you, hopefully will help others.

I think the issues are more down to the headphones than the version of android as I originally thought.
 
rahul32111
Old
#46  
rahul32111's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 84
Join Date: Jan 2011
does amplifier like fiio e6 will stop this hissing sound(iem sony xba-h1, 40ohm)
 
UnknownAX
Old
#47  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 135
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul32111 View Post
does amplifier like fiio e6 will stop this hissing sound(iem sony xba-h1, 40ohm)
Pretty much anything that attentuates the signal would help because you can turn the volume on the phone higher that way. Obviously an amp is not perfect for this, because it further amplifies the signal unless you turn the volume on it low. And I doubt you want more volume with your headphones. So yes, the e6 would help, but an active headphone buffer (w/o gain) or even a dac/amp (fiio e7) would be better in your case.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
 
rahul32111
Old
#48  
rahul32111's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 84
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownAX View Post
Pretty much anything that attentuates the signal would help because you can turn the volume on the phone higher that way. Obviously an amp is not perfect for this, because it further amplifies the signal unless you turn the volume on it low. And I doubt you want more volume with your headphones. So yes, the e6 would help, but an active headphone buffer (w/o gain) or even a dac/amp (fiio e7) would be better in your case.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
Thanks for reply, but dac Like fiio e7 would be too much costly for me, anyways i still like the sound

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Blast Those Flags with Knock the Flags

Lately, we have seen a rather drastic shift in the world of mobile device gaming. The infamous Angry … more

Hide Numbers on Your SMS and Call Logs with Reflection

How many times have you given your device to someone else in order to show them a … more

Implement Split View in Your LG G2 KitKat Rom with Automated Installer

Some of you may have remembered a story on the Portal a few weeks back … more