KitKat battery performance (lack of!)

16th March 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Deep River
Thanks Meter: 10

98 posts
More
I've seen reference to plenty of others who find the battery performance much poorer after KitKat on i337 and i337M so I figured I would try and get some consolidation in a single thread by sharing my displeasure in the hopes that some ideas to alleviate it will end up all in one place.

Since updating (used the Canadian "leak" that turned out to be the release anyway) I noticed a charge didn't last as long.

Day after install:
72% left after six and a half hours of more or less normal for me use... several txts sent and received, read a few CMC and newspaper articles, checked the weather a bunch of times, looked at FB, and checked Play Store for updates of my apps... all with wi-fi on.
"Android System" and "Android OS" have taken up 22 and 8 percent as the #2 and #3 consumers respectively...

Did a bit more debloating (freeze apps, play around a bit to make sure nothing is broken, then delete them)
2 days later the results were similar

Froze a few more, including but not limited to all the print service stuff, Samsung Hub, everything with "enterprise", "Ant", or "Knox" in the name.
After another day to make sure nothing broke, I deleted them too.

Now I'm looking at battery again:
13 and a half hours on battery, Android OS @ 25%, Screen (which always used to be at the top!) 22%, Android System 14%, and Google Search at 6% (Device Idle at the same 6%)

I haven't done any searches (how did it use 6% of my battery, polling?)
If I touch Android OS for more detail I see that it shows "Stay Awake" at 2 hours 17 minutes... I suspect this is the main culprit unless they've somehow made the screen work at a lower voltage! (that's sarcasm btw)

Love to see what others are observing since upgrading and any suggestions how to reduce the wake locking of the OS.

Jamie
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread