Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 44,867 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

For when a Replicant ROM for this mobile phone?

Tip us?

vcatpt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb For when a Replicant ROM for this mobile phone?

Hi.

Like me, people that own this mobile phone need to wait for huge efforts from people like Arco to develop a ROM with the last android version and the whole bug fixes and improvements of the OS.
After all that, we need to trust what developers could have done inside that same ROM, the same we get in this 'black market' and pray they didn't do any kind of malicious developments, this, if the source code/blobs didn't come with them already. Forgetting about the security side, if we look at the new features and upgrades of the same OS, again, we will need to wait for people like Arco to get time to develop all we want. So, my question is:

What need to be done for people that use this mobile phone to have the Replicant Android version?

Web references:

- replicant.us
- fsf.org/blogs/community/donate-to-replicant-and-support-free-software-on-mobile-devices
- linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/759834-fully-free-android-rom-advances-to-jelly-bean/?&co=f000000013912s-1248979074
- wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/10/replicant/

honeyx
Old
Thanks Meter 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcatpt View Post
Hi.

After all that, we need to trust what developers could have done inside that same ROM, the same we get in this 'black market' and pray they didn't do any kind of malicious developments, this, if the source code/blobs didn't come with them already. Forgetting about the security side....
Seriously, do you expect this to be different with a Repilcant ROM?

There will be still a Dev behind this who will compile the ROM, add bugfixes and so on.

So if you are afraid of malware being added by a Dev, you can simply download the sources and compile your own ROM. No matter this is CM or Repilcant.

CM is open source and you can watch the entire code to what a Dev has done to it. There is no conspirancy and there is no need to become paranoic.

Therefore I do not see a single reason why a Replicant ROM should be better compared to Arcos CM releases.

vcatpt
Old
(Last edited by vcatpt; 18th February 2014 at 10:43 PM.) Reason: verbal fix
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I can't explain me better than the references I post in the first post. But for sure, if every project follow the philosophy that Replicant uses, development could improve so much about the SECURITY and so much about the TIME for the news features/improvements, is ridiculous what people need to wait to get an upgraded software (no question about any developer here ofc). And I know life is not perfect, but at some point things need to be done in a credible and systematic way, and this android variant with the name Replicant seems fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyx View Post
Seriously, do you expect this to be different with a Repilcant ROM?

There will be still a Dev behind this who will compile the ROM, add bugfixes and so on.

So if you are afraid of malware being added by a Dev, you can simply download the sources and compile your own ROM. No matter this is CM or Repilcant.

CM is open source and you can watch the entire code to what a Dev has done to it. There is no conspirancy and there is no need to become paranoic.

Therefore I do not see a single reason why a Replicant ROM should be better compared to Arcos CM releases.

vcatpt
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
hum..

http://redmine.replicant.us/projects...GalaxyBackdoor
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/...alaxy-backdoor