Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Annoying WiFi issue with many ROMs

Tip us?
 
Vilo76
Old
#1  
Vilo76's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 112
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clermont-Ferrand
Default [Q] Annoying WiFi issue with many ROMs

Hi all,

I'm currently running latest CM10.2.0, and when I connect to any WiFi network, the initial negotiation speed is very fast.
From the moment I push the WiFi button, to the moment the WiFi is "connected", the duration goes from 2s to 4-5s max.
This duration includes internal WiFI activation and DHCP lease negotiation.

With all KK based ROMs I've tested (CM11, Carbon, LS, etc ...), or with F4K kernel (KK or JB, I've tested JB version on CM10), I'm having terrible negatiation times, generally next to 30s, but sometimes as high as 60s.

Having to wait up to 60s before being able to perform a mail check or a calendar sync that takes only 3s is very annoying.

What can I do to obtain a descent activation speed with KK or F4K JB ?
Is there a build.prop tweak or an init.d script that can speed the thing up ?

Tks
 
ladislav.heller
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 360
Posts: 540
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bratislava

 
DONATE TO ME
10.2.0 is not the latest!
There is already 10.2.1
 
Vilo76
Old
#3  
Vilo76's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 112
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clermont-Ferrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladislav.heller View Post
10.2.0 is not the latest!
There is already 10.2.1
Sorry, my S4m runs CM10.2.1 indeed.
WiFi negotiation speeds has always been the same under all CM10 flavors (i.e. very fast), and always been the same under all CM11 flavors (i.e. very slow).
 
jake3317
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 62
Join Date: Feb 2014
I'm on Carbon KK and negotiating time is close to zero. I actually don't even see it switch on. For instance, I use Llama and have it set up that in the night hours WiFi is turned off, unless the screen is turned on. I never had to wait at all during such an occurence until I had the internet connection.
 
Vilo76
Old
#5  
Vilo76's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 112
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clermont-Ferrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake3317 View Post
I'm on Carbon KK and negotiating time is close to zero. I actually don't even see it switch on. For instance, I use Llama and have it set up that in the night hours WiFi is turned off, unless the screen is turned on. I never had to wait at all during such an occurence until I had the internet connection.
Tks for your reply Jake.

Thanks to your testimony, I guess my WiFi issue is due to some parameters that are specific to networks I'm connecting to.
All my tests are done on 2 different WiFi HotSpots, with different hardware, but both :
- Are running OpenWRT
- Have WPA2 PSK (CCMP) encryption

I will do some tests to see if encryption type or hotspot software has an influence on negotiation speed.
 
jake3317
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 62
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilo76 View Post
Tks for your reply Jake.

Thanks to your testimony, I guess my WiFi issue is due to some parameters that are specific to networks I'm connecting to.
All my tests are done on 2 different WiFi HotSpots, with different hardware, but both :
- Are running OpenWRT
- Have WPA2 PSK (CCMP) encryption

I will do some tests to see if encryption type or hotspot software has an influence on negotiation speed.
The network I connect to most of the time has WPA2 PSK encryption. No clue about the OpenWRT
Tags
wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Software Build Automation with Jenkins – XDA Developer TV

Many members of the XDA community come to learn and begin in the exciting … more

Add Bits and Pieces of Honami to Your Current ROM

In the last few months, we’ve talked about quite a few Sony Honami-related projects. … more

Always Enter the Correct Password with HideNoPasswords

If you’ve ever entered apassword on your mobile device, you’ve surely … more

Revert to Stock Recovery Effortless with Simple Recovery Switcher

Android updates released as OTA packages are very easy to apply,but they … more