[Q] Annoying WiFi issue with many ROMs

Search This thread

Vilo76

Apr 6, 2012
Clermont-Ferrand
Hi all,

I'm currently running latest CM10.2.0, and when I connect to any WiFi network, the initial negotiation speed is very fast.
From the moment I push the WiFi button, to the moment the WiFi is "connected", the duration goes from 2s to 4-5s max.
This duration includes internal WiFI activation and DHCP lease negotiation.

With all KK based ROMs I've tested (CM11, Carbon, LS, etc ...), or with F4K kernel (KK or JB, I've tested JB version on CM10), I'm having terrible negatiation times, generally next to 30s, but sometimes as high as 60s.

Having to wait up to 60s before being able to perform a mail check or a calendar sync that takes only 3s is very annoying.

What can I do to obtain a descent activation speed with KK or F4K JB ?
Is there a build.prop tweak or an init.d script that can speed the thing up ?

Tks ;)

jake3317

Feb 24, 2014
I'm on Carbon KK and negotiating time is close to zero. I actually don't even see it switch on. For instance, I use Llama and have it set up that in the night hours WiFi is turned off, unless the screen is turned on. I never had to wait at all during such an occurence until I had the internet connection.

Vilo76

Apr 6, 2012
Clermont-Ferrand
I'm on Carbon KK and negotiating time is close to zero. I actually don't even see it switch on. For instance, I use Llama and have it set up that in the night hours WiFi is turned off, unless the screen is turned on. I never had to wait at all during such an occurence until I had the internet connection.

Tks for your reply Jake.

Thanks to your testimony, I guess my WiFi issue is due to some parameters that are specific to networks I'm connecting to.
All my tests are done on 2 different WiFi HotSpots, with different hardware, but both :
- Are running OpenWRT
- Have WPA2 PSK (CCMP) encryption

I will do some tests to see if encryption type or hotspot software has an influence on negotiation speed.

jake3317

Feb 24, 2014
Tks for your reply Jake.

Thanks to your testimony, I guess my WiFi issue is due to some parameters that are specific to networks I'm connecting to.
All my tests are done on 2 different WiFi HotSpots, with different hardware, but both :
- Are running OpenWRT
- Have WPA2 PSK (CCMP) encryption

I will do some tests to see if encryption type or hotspot software has an influence on negotiation speed.
The network I connect to most of the time has WPA2 PSK encryption. No clue about the OpenWRT