Unlocator free beta over

Search This thread

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Unlocator DNS service has announced that their free beta period has now ended, and everyone who signed up is now on a 1-week free trial. After that it will cost $4.95/month. That's the typical price level set by competing services, of which there are at least 20. Some cost as little as $18/yr, and there are a few that are still free for the moment, but they might not all work with the Chromecast since it requires device-specific testing.

Last edited:

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
I have tested many of the DNS services using their free trials. I think they all work for the basics, although since they don't generally test the Chromecast, you may find that some sites don't work on the Chromecast with some DNS services. Unlocator didn't work with Pandora for me at first either, but they eventually fixed it - it just takes a while to get started, and then you may have to disconnect and reconnect to get it in sync with the Android/iOS app. That's true of some of the DNS services as well.

Tunnelto.us is supposedly in the process of implementing Netflix region switching. I don't know if they will support Netherlands or not. Keep in mind that most of these free services under development tend to move to paid subscription once they get Netflix region switching working, because that requires them to make a serious investment in having paid servers in every supported country.

But personally I currently use usaccess.ca, which cost me $18 for a year on a special promotion. Until now I was using Unlocator for Netflix region switching. USaccess.ca is working on adding that, but until they do I guess that on the very rare occasion that I want to watch anything from a non-U.S. region, it will be time for another 1-week free trial with one of the other services. :)

Last edited:

otaku888

Mar 28, 2008
I switched to unotelly after unlocator. It certainly seems much better, just more stable and reliable in general. It also has the ability to access two countries content at the same time, so if you are in Europe it is possible to see both UK and US content at the same time without switching settings. They also have a really handy android app for switching Netflix regions very quickly, giving you access to much more content than just US Netflix on it's own.

It's cheaper too.

Last edited:

Rooksx

Apr 3, 2011
I switched to unotelly after unlocator. It certainly seems much better, just more stable and reliable in general. It also has the ability to access two countries content at the same time, so if you are in Europe it is possible to see both UK and US content at the same time without switching settings. They also have a really handy android app for switching Netflix regions very quickly, giving you access to much more content than just US Netflix on it's own.

It's cheaper too.

Unotelly also has a Netflix subtitle blocker, which can be handy if you're watching an English language movie with hardcoded subtitles on a foreign language Netflix.

Reactions: otaku888

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any other free alternative?

Currently SmartDNSProxy and TunnelTo.us, but nothing stays free for long.

Most of the DNS services offer a 1-week free trial per email address.

It's cheaper too.

Unotelly also has a Netflix subtitle blocker, which can be handy if you're watching an English language movie with hardcoded subtitles on a foreign language Netflix.