Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 41,340 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocator free beta over

Tip us?

DJames1
Old
(Last edited by DJames1; 17th March 2014 at 08:23 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Default Unlocator free beta over

Unlocator DNS service has announced that their free beta period has now ended, and everyone who signed up is now on a 1-week free trial. After that it will cost $4.95/month. That's the typical price level set by competing services, of which there are at least 20. Some cost as little as $18/yr, and there are a few that are still free for the moment, but they might not all work with the Chromecast since it requires device-specific testing.

saumil25
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Any other free alternative?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

DJames1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil25 View Post
Any other free alternative?
Currently SmartDNSProxy and TunnelTo.us, but nothing stays free for long.

Most of the DNS services offer a 1-week free trial per email address.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jasenko
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post

Thanks... Finally able to play Pandora, it was never working with Unlocator and Chromecast for me.

Elh0mbreloco
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone knows a provider that charges less than Unlocator ?

jasenko
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elh0mbreloco View Post
Anyone knows a provider that charges less than Unlocator ?
If you go back and read a post two up from yours, you will find two services that are 100% free

Elh0mbreloco
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenko View Post
If you go back and read a post two up from yours, you will find two services that are 100% free
yea but they don't offer Netflix Netherlands and my mother watches modern family so

el_easy
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post

Thanks OP! I gonna try, Do u know which one is better or which one you use?.. Thanks

LIVE WITH WALKMAN WT19i

- ANDROID OS: Android - Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- KERNEL: 2.6.32.60-nAa-jb
- CUSTOM ROM: Super Jelly Bean™ 8.0
********************** PLUS ************************
- Ugoos UM2: WiFi chip rk3188 ap6210

DJames1
Old
(Last edited by DJames1; 19th March 2014 at 04:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
I have tested many of the DNS services using their free trials. I think they all work for the basics, although since they don't generally test the Chromecast, you may find that some sites don't work on the Chromecast with some DNS services. Unlocator didn't work with Pandora for me at first either, but they eventually fixed it - it just takes a while to get started, and then you may have to disconnect and reconnect to get it in sync with the Android/iOS app. That's true of some of the DNS services as well.

Tunnelto.us is supposedly in the process of implementing Netflix region switching. I don't know if they will support Netherlands or not. Keep in mind that most of these free services under development tend to move to paid subscription once they get Netflix region switching working, because that requires them to make a serious investment in having paid servers in every supported country.

But personally I currently use usaccess.ca, which cost me $18 for a year on a special promotion. Until now I was using Unlocator for Netflix region switching. USaccess.ca is working on adding that, but until they do I guess that on the very rare occasion that I want to watch anything from a non-U.S. region, it will be time for another 1-week free trial with one of the other services.

otaku888
Old
(Last edited by otaku888; 19th March 2014 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
I switched to unotelly after unlocator. It certainly seems much better, just more stable and reliable in general. It also has the ability to access two countries content at the same time, so if you are in Europe it is possible to see both UK and US content at the same time without switching settings. They also have a really handy android app for switching Netflix regions very quickly, giving you access to much more content than just US Netflix on it's own.

It's cheaper too.
Devices: Nexus 5, HTC One, Google Chromecast