Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 43,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Update via Wi-Fi - says I'm not connected

Tip us?

thany2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Update via Wi-Fi - says I'm not connected

I'm trying to update my Note 8 via Wi-Fi (the only option for me), but as soon as I press"check for updates" in the settings menu, it says:

Quote:
Unable to proceed with software update without Wi-Fi connection.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
I am connected to a Wi-Fi network. Internet is working absolutely fine, and there's no outgoing firewall that might block certain addresses.
The tablet displays this message *instantly* after pressing the "check for updates" option. It doesn't even try anything (or doesn't seem to).

So how do I get this to work? I'm still running Android 4.1.2 on it (stock) and I thought it's time for an update by now...

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thany2 View Post
I'm trying to update my Note 8 via Wi-Fi (the only option for me), but as soon as I press"check for updates" in the settings menu, it says:

I am connected to a Wi-Fi network. Internet is working absolutely fine, and there's no outgoing firewall that might block certain addresses.
The tablet displays this message *instantly* after pressing the "check for updates" option. It doesn't even try anything (or doesn't seem to).

So how do I get this to work? I'm still running Android 4.1.2 on it (stock) and I thought it's time for an update by now...
If you have a 5120 or 5100 without a carrier, you may not get any update if the settings are Data only.

You may check with Kies and see if it pulls a firmware update for you.

Not all provider Notes will have updates to 4.2.2. Only the 5110 has such an update.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Ah, I just found a setting that may be the cause of your issue... In settings go to data usage, and check the settings for Data Usage in the upper right hand corner (3 horizontal bars)... the menu will have an option to restrict background data. If it is checked then uncheck it, and try again.

thany2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
That's weird, I could have sworn I saw an update being available a few months back. Kies says my 4.1.2 is the latest firmware.
This is weird, because 4.1 is pretty old by now...

What exactly do you mean by not all carriers get the 4.2.2 upgrade? There is no carrier involved...

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 145

DONATE TO ME
There is, if you have the 5100 or 5120 (GSM editions, they ARE carrier branded, therefore will go through the carrier update process).

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd CODEBLUE, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold